Karr Rubber Manufacturing - California.

dep5

Carl, that's excellent.  Sounds like temporarily eliminating the third party and language barriers enabled you to get a good feel for what's going on.

I wish Mr. Arteaga the best in his "new" business, hopefully he can make the transition and provide the service that Karr did for so many years......

Carl thank you for taking the time. It is good to know about me Karr . Hopefully everything works out well for the Arteaga family and all that need to work with them. You sir are a true gentleman and a fine member to even offer your services to this group of forum members that need help. Thanks again

Dave S 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)

Guest SaddleRider
On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 1:12 PM, SaddleRider said:

I am STILL waiting for offers on  that nice used bridge that I have for sale in Brooklyn.....

Ah...memories....I was standing next to Craig when he out-bid me on the Harold Lloyd car.   Let's see if ANYONE in here who claims he actually knew Craig has a $%$(%(% clue what I am referring to.... I'll even throw in a hint... the auction house was on WIlshire Blvd....

What's wrong with you people - you keep posting to this site , but no-one responds to my questions.....- when do I get some offers on that great used bridge I have for sale in Brooklyn

Guest RubberHead
On 10/27/2017 at 3:48 AM, trimacar said:

Well, I'm going to disagree with Jasmineljl that "since he was the one making them that's the reason he took them".

If you work for someone else, and fabricate something for the business, then those fabrications belong to the owner of the business.  I've designed and built machinery and test equipment, while in the employ of a company, and those items surely don't belong to me.

Your last sentence doesn't make sense.  What we're discussing here is a business that made extrusions and molded parts, yet you insist that your father doesn't want to do that, he wants to make "custom rubber".  Also, you insist he doesn't need the "machinery" to make things, when in fact he does....

I don't think you're going to drum up much business for him here based on what I've read. Way too many questions to be answered...

I like my popcorn slightly buttered, thank you, at least the thread is entertaining!

I will try to clear things up for everyone.

I am Chris Dittes, VP of Ames Rubber Mfg.  We purchased the remaining assets of Karr Rubber after it's shut down.  

We heard that the equipment was available from the property management company for the location.  Because the building needed to be cleared out, they had contacted various rubber companies to see if there was interest. We were interested in a particular piece of machinery for our Tennessee manufacturing location, so when the auction for the entire lot of assets occurred, we were the winning bidder.  We shipped some of the equipment to Tennessee, and we moved the remaining tooling, extrusion products, and casting equipment to our Los Angeles location.  Some machinery that we did not need was scrapped.  

In the same time period, we were contacted by Jose Luis Arteaga to produce some extrusion.  In dealing with him, we learned that he was Mr. Karr's key production employee.  He and his wife had worked there a very long time, and he was the main guy that made the tooling and products for Mr. Karr.  Jose is also the person that knows the most about the products Karr Rubber sold.  It seems that he and Mr. Karr had agreed that he could take some of the tooling he needed to try and continue making parts for his customers.  Jose has the capability to make casting molds out of silicone, and to cast urethane and resin parts from these molds, and to create assemblies using extrusion he purchases.  This is the method they had used to make most of the parts they sold. Since Karr has closed, we have extruded quite a few jobs for Jose Luis, so he could make window parts for his customers. (ex-Karr customers I assume) So far, it seems Jose Luis is a good guy, and very knowledgeable of specialty automotive reproduction parts.  I have seen his work.  He knows his stuff.  There is nothing questionable in his attempt to continue servicing Karr's customer base 

There was quite a bit of tooling left there.  Many extrusion dies, and lots of cast silicone molds.  We have all this remaining tooling currently at our Los Angeles location, and are trying to sort through it all.  Unfortunately, there was no identification on any of the molds, and no catalog system that we could find to associate extrusion dies or molds to any particular customer.  Without knowing what each mold is for, it is likely that we will be discarding the bulk of them. (We have limited storage space available, or we would keep them.)  It is a shame that better records weren't kept by Mr. Karr.   

As far as Ames Rubber Mfg. goes, we have many years of rubber manufacturing experience.  We specialize in rubber extrusion, molding, die cutting, lathe cutting, and splicing. Please see our website   http://www.amesrubberonline.com  We are able to create tooling, and extrude profiles to custom specifications.  We do make automotive reproduction parts, but mostly in bulk, not for small restoration projects. We service many automotive clubs, and specialty restoration businesses. We would be happy to discuss any project, and even look for existing tooling while we have it here. We are working closely with Jose Luis on some work he has, and we would be happy to discuss any other projects with him if it helps facilitate someones restoration.  

As far as Craig Karr goes, we never had the pleasure of meeting him.  I'm sure he was an interesting gentleman. 

Please feel free to contact us at your convenience for any rubber related needs.

Chris Dittes

Ames Rubber Manufacturing

4516 Brazil St.

Los Angeles, CA 90039

818-240-9313

sales@amesindustrial.com

http://www.amesrubberonline.com

Edited by RubberHead
link correction (see edit history)

On 10/17/2017 at 7:50 PM, Auto electrician CHIC said:

know the guy that bought the Machinery from car rubber Manufacturing in El Segundo California he also has a lot of merchandise and products that were left behind I will check and see what exactly he has.

On 10/18/2017 at 12:17 PM, Auto electrician CHIC said:

Ok so the equipment has been resold. But he does have half a truck load of assorted product and some dies. I will snap some pictures and post them this evening...

This is the business that had me confused. I had thought that this nut's friend had bought all the machinery, tooling and left over product at the auction and resold the extrusion equipment to Ames. Now I realize that was not the case. I am not sure how this person, Auto electrician CHIC, fits in, but it would probably be better forgotten.

Thank you, Chris, for clearing up the confusion, that all makes a lot of sense.

I've emailed you a sketch, need some extruded rubber, I realize you have minimum runs, so based on answer will see if I can get other people interested too in it's specific use on an antique car.

thanks again...dc

More good news , guys and gals : I had a very specific talk with Chris and Tim at Ames. They do have hundreds of dies for making extrusions for us. None will be discarded. It is the silicone rubber molds which have little to no use , nor means to identify , which will be dumped. Ames is very aware of our situation , and , thankfully sympathetic , and stand ready to continue to supply us. Fine people at a very well run business. Ballpark numbers : a minimum production run is determined by fixed weight , which translates to volume of finished product. Length of extruded volume is dependent on cross section area , obviously. A minimum run would be about $600 , and might produce an average of 200' or so. Again depending on cross section area. They have a friendly and cooperative relationship with the Arteaga family , so between these good people our hobby needs have been preserved. What a relief in these days of extinction of institutional knowledge  , and passing of The Masters. Suerte , todos !   - Carl

RIP Craig,  You would have had a good chuckle over all of this!!  Hope you are in a better place where business does not matter.  Keep tinkling those Ivories.  Give Wladziu a run for his money!! 

Back to reality.  The real issue for all "individuals" involved.  Ames seems to be real.  A minimum run is $600.  200 feet.  No more one offs.  No more doing it on your own for your own car.  Unless you have very deep pockets or are doing it business to business for business a lot of "lesser" cars are going to leak..........  Enjoy it while you can boys!!  Can't take it with you.

Guest Dancnman

This is very mysterious ... I last saw Craig (John was his business 'nom d'plume') in February 2017 ... It is hard for me to believe he has passed on without a trace ... I restored 9 classics including 5 Hooper coachbuilt Rolls-Royces with his help ... He was an amazing friend and a great resource ... My question is what happened to him, his grand piano and his amazing collection of vehicles ... Two years ago he told me he had to hide them ... He owned Fatty Arbuckles custom made coach ... He owned Czar Nicholas II personal vehicle.  He had even learned Russian and travelled to St Petersburg ... He told me was working on selling it back to Putin ... He was totally gifted and amazing ... I'm sure he is tinkling those ivories where ever he is ... and he will be resuming his role as the MC of choice for the Miss Nude Afterlife Pageant ... RIP my good friend

Guest Auto electrician CHIC

To my understanding his son took over EVERYTHING Mr Karr owned and had him put into an institution.Claimed he went crazy....(perhaps the only way he could take ALL of his Dads PRECIOUS BELONGINGS.....

Is this the beginning of the sequel?  For some reason I became fascinated with this entire story, as I am sure others have too. I never heard of Mr Karr or his products but I never owned any cars that his work would apply to, so makes it all that more interesting

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bloo said:

That link says "did not meet reserve". Are you sure it sold?

Yes, the Arbuckle Pierce changed hands, I believe it's in the Lassiter collection in Florida now, Bill gone but his wife carries on.....

From news I heard today, son is starting to sell some cars from collection, albeit at dreamer prices...I can't go into any more detail than that, but those who know, know.....

Guest Auto electrician CHIC

Yes. I KNOW and its a damn SHAME....ESPECIALLY BCUZ HES NOT EVEN DEAD YET...... please some body look into amy mental hospitals  that his son plqced him in. Against his will.

Guest Dancnman

This is very mysterious ... I last saw Craig (John was his business 'nom d'plume') in February 2017 ... It is hard for me to believe he has passed on without a trace ... I restored 9 classics including 5 Hooper coachbuilt Rolls-Royces with his help ... He was an amazing friend and a great resource ... My question is what happened to him, his grand piano and his amazing collection of vehicles ... Two years ago he told me he had to hide them ... He owned Fatty Arbuckles custom made coach ... He owned Czar Nicholas II personal vehicle.  He had even learned Russian and travelled to St Petersburg ... He told me was working on selling it back to Putin ... He was totally gifted and amazing ... I'm sure he is tinkling those ivories where ever he is ... and he will be resuming his role as the MC of choice for the Miss Nude Afterlife Pageant ... RIP my good friend

Guest Dancnman

I can't fathom what I'm reading ... How can Craig have been institutionalized by his son and there not be any public proceeding available regarding that proceedure? .... What can be done? ... Can we file a missing persons report? ...

It appears that we have second sourced Mr. Karr's demise from response #119 by playswithbrass. At this point it would be extremely difficult for Auto electrician CHIC to recruit someone to substantiate his claims in the face of current contrary evidence. Therefore , I suggest that he , being insistent about and privy to inside information , make the effort to save Mr. Karr from the 'Bin. Also , A.e.C. : did you say you have relevant info re : moulds ? You do seem much closer to the situation than most of us (obviously less so than the Arteaga family and Ames Rubber , however) , so I respectfully ask you to devote your energy to initiate Mr.Karr's "resurrection" , (Salvation ?) , for which I am sure you will be rewarded. Please do so forthwith , as you have all of us very concerned. I am a tireless investigator when tasked to be so , however I do not anticipate being in So. Cal. this year. I therefore can not offer assistance at this point.   - Carl

So are you saying that a careful conspiracy has been perpetuated in order to place Mr. Karr in some locked ward in a mental institution ? Incommunicado for the rest of his tortured life ? To the benefit of ingrate greedy offspring ? Do you or anyone else really have evidence of this going on ? If so , I think law enforcement should be your next stop. Tend to your civic duty if you are not just operating on unsubstantiated rumor.   - Carl 

One of the hardest things in life can be when a love one who had a productive life and to the outside world was doing great loses their mental faculties and ability to take care of themselves.  Many families have to deal with this and it is not easy. 

I know nothing of this particular situation,  but I do know in most places you need a doctor and court order to commit someone that doesn't want to be committed.   You can't just toss someone in a nursing home.

Members of Santa Monica-Westside Volunteer BureauVAC Auxiliary, from left, Mrs. Mary Ann Ullerich, Mrs. Roberta Dundore and Craig Karr look over a 1 932 Pierce Arrow, one of j antique cars that will be on display at fund party Saturday, Oct. 18, at Santa Monica Airport.

Craig Karr.jpg

I can't get enough resolution to make out much. Looks like a very attractive P.A. Coupe. I think I'll stop in at NORMS Westwood and munch a bunch next time I'm in LA. I haven't strapped on a fodder bag for light loot like that since the '60s. The 1960s. Over 50 years ago. That's when the '60s were. NORMS Westwood : HERE I COME !     - Carl

Edited by C Carl
Clever jive (see edit history)

5 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Members of Santa Monica-Westside Volunteer BureauVAC Auxiliary, from left, Mrs. Mary Ann Ullerich, Mrs. Roberta Dundore and Craig Karr look over a 1 932 Pierce Arrow, one of j antique cars that will be on display at fund party Saturday, Oct. 18, at Santa Monica Airport.

What year was that? This year didn't have a Saturday 18th October.

When I last saw that car it looked like it had not ran since the sixties (32 PA). I am familiar with the family to a limited extent, and having done business with them since the 80's;  having custom rubber manufactured for Pierce Arrow cars. Out of respect for the good service and fair treatment I received I have not commented or posted details of what I know to be true and based of first hand knowledge. Craig was a good guy, and a true car aficionado. I had a enjoyable time talking cars with him over the years. He was very familiar with the unusual  and off brand cars, and had a true understanding of which cars lived up to their reputation and which ones did not, because he worked on them and drove them. Transitions from active retirement age to extreme elderly survival can be difficult for any family, and often they don't proceed smoothly. Sadly, private family issues are being discussed in public. I don't offer any criticism about  it in this particular instance because it was customers and collectors looking for information on orders and parts. My best to all......

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Well said, Ed, I think we all, myself included, need to focus on the restoration aspect of this discussion and leave the family out of it at this point.

I've contacted Ames, received a quick and favorable quote for some material I need, although you have to be aware that as they stated they don't do small, individual, runs.  I have numerous people interested in purchasing some of what I'm making up, so that's a way to spread out the cost.

• 7 months later...

My father was a business partner of Craig Karr since the early 1960's to the late 70's and then my dad passed away.  We co-owned apartment buildings with Mr. Karr as an investment.  His true love was Collecting and Showing his love 80 Classic cars.  He started the Rubber Company as a way to get out of Real Estate, and he also saw a need when restoring cars, that the Rubber Replacement parts were very hard to come by.  He had the DYE's made, hired a group of guys already in the business and away he went.  He was very smart in anything he chose to do.  I wish I hadn't found out that he passed on this forum, but since my emails were not getting answered I decided to do some detective work.