Trans leak

great...put in kyb front struts today and whil tc was jacked up, the trans started leaking a lot...( it NEVER leaked ever before) ...looks like the gasket is not a regular solid gasket so someone f$))%*# that up when working on the trans with the previous owner...) ...I wonder why it started to leak....because of the angle? pressure?

when struts where in and lowered down to earth level, leaking stopped...

any ideas? whats that area called for the seal?

IMG_3119.JPG

It would appear that you possibly pulled the drive axle out beyond the sealing surface, which is only about 1/2 inch. When you finished your strut installation you pushed it back in.

If you have no further leak, you are home free.

Guest EmmettTC
3 hours ago, Hemi Dude said:

It would appear that you possibly pulled the drive axle out beyond the sealing surface, which is only about 1/2 inch. When you finished your strut installation you pushed it back in.

If you have no further leak, you are home free.

That was the exact case for me when I replaced tie rod ends and a CV boot.

Guest EmmettTC

If you pulled the CV axle out of the spindle or even wiggled it out a little, that could cause the fluid to seep from the connection from axle to trans.

• 1 month later...

Worn differential bearings will cause a persistant leak at the axle seal, especially while driving. I just learned this the hard way on my a413 equipped 1989 Dodge Spirit. There is a fix though. 

Tekpack makes an axle stabilizer that is basically a bearing and seal that replace the current axle seal. The bearing keeps the axle in alignment with the seal at all times, eliminating any chance that the axle will lose contact with the seal surface.

https://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/Chrysler_FWD_axle_stabalizer_w_bearing_and_seal_p/609-032125lrb.htm