1980 Buick Park Avenue 75 K miles.

BUICK RACER

Clearly, 1980's Electras such as this one

don't get a lot of attention yet in Buick circles!

There have been only a couple of replies to

the original posting, yet a 1953 Roadmaster

has 24 comments.

My parents had one, though a different year.

It was a good car, comfortable to ride in,

though underpowered even with the "large" 307 engine.

Even excellent ones should be reasonably priced today.

• Like 1

Yes, 1980 had the advantage of offering the 350 gas V-8.

That's an advantage of Buicks that year.

For 1981 and later cars, I would want the 307 V-8

before the small engine, and definitely before the diesel engine.

Buick Electras of 1980-84 were beautiful cars, 

and maybe someday a nice one will find its way

into my garage!

1978 was the last year for the 350 Buick built V8. I had a '78 Electra and an '81 Park Ave, Olds 307 in the PA. Nothing stands out in my memory about either of them. I did cringe when Watertown was mentioned. That's where they buckle the salt belt.

Well, come to think of it, the '78 came from Oklahoma and there was a constant flow of clay dust coming from every crevice.

Bernie

I owned an '85 Delta 88 with the 307 V8.  It was a nice all-around family car, basically the same underpinnings as the Buick.  The thing I remember about that engine (aside from the wiring harness sprouting from the Quadrajet) was that until the 212K mile 5.3L LS motor in my current 2004 Silverado, it was the most buttery-smooth V8 I had experienced.

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

1978 was the last year for the 350 Buick built V8. I had a '78 Electra and an '81 Park Ave, Olds 307 in the PA. Nothing stands out in my memory about either of them. I did cringe when Watertown was mentioned. That's where they buckle the salt belt.

Well, come to think of it, the '78 came from Oklahoma and there was a constant flow of clay dust coming from every crevice.

Bernie

I always thought 1980 was the last year for the Buick 350.  We had a 1980 LeSabre with a Buick 350, and while we didn't buy it new, we did acquire it in 1984. 

10 hours ago, dmfconsult said:

I always thought 1980 was the last year for the Buick 350.  We had a 1980 LeSabre with a Buick 350, and while we didn't buy it new, we did acquire it in 1984. 

Mr. DMF, you are correct that Buick offered

350 cubic-inch engines up through 1980.

I have a 1979 Electra with a 350.

After a hiatus, 350's were offered again in

the Roadmasters and Estate Wagons of the 1990's.

I'm not certain which G. M. division manufactured

those engines.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

1978 is going to be the last Buick built 350 derived from the 215 aluminum engine that you will find. Somewhere around here I have the newspaper clipping of the announcement. I had a '79 wagon and that had an Olds 403. Pontiac's 301 found its way into a lot of LeSabres and Regals. And some even got that 4.1 V6. The 1991 to 1996 Roadmaster have a Chevy 350. I am the club tech advisor for those cars.

Think about it, wouldn't just one 1979 to 1985 Riviera with a real Buick 350 be nice, couldn't get one, didn't make them. I was car shopping and buying the stuff. And it was a comprised and uninspiring time for Buick enthusiasts.

Bernie

• Like 2

Interesting... my 78 Estate Wagon has the Buick 350 and it's indicated as and "X" in the VIN.  I don't have the vin from the 80 LeSabre anymore, but I'm positive that was a Buick derived 350, as the distributor was in the front.  The other 350's available in those years would have been Chev's or Olds, and both would have had the distributors in the rear.  I'm not trying to argue, but I find the discussion interesting... would Buick 350's in 79 & 80 model years be a left over motor from the last run in 78? 

The BUICK 350 was built through 1981 but only a few were made in 1981, only 2,035, would have to look up which cars they went in,

Also the car for sale in this post is nowhere near Watertown, that's almost 2.5 hours away from OWEGO, Bernie, clean your glasses! LOL I think you thought you saw OSWEGO, Big difference!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BUICK RACER said:

The BUICK 350 was built through 1981 but only a few were made in 1981, only 2,035, would have to look up which cars they went in. ...

Wow, I never knew that anyone could get a 350 engine

in a 1981 Buick.  I'm pretty sure they weren't in the catalogue.

My parents' 1981 Electra had the 307 V-8.

Can you tell us more, Roberta?

Knowing which cars would be very interesting.

And how would one have gone about getting one of those 350's?

• 2 months later...
Guest 1881buickelectra350

I believe I have one of those Buick electras with a 350 . It is a 1981 Buick electra park avenue with a factory 350 Buick and a th400 transmission 

• 5 years later...

This thread is 5 years old and was posted as a lead to a car for sale. The OP was not the owner of the car.  

the contact information for the seller is in the first post, so you can contact them directly to see if the car is still available. 

On 3/9/2017 at 6:08 AM, John_S_in_Penna said:

Mr. DMF, you are correct that Buick offered

350 cubic-inch engines up through 1980.

I have a 1979 Electra with a 350.

After a hiatus, 350's were offered again in

the Roadmasters and Estate Wagons of the 1990's.

I'm not certain which G. M. division manufactured

those engines.

I believe that was Chevrolet.