Zephyr Body number

puli-song

The "serial' number now referred to as "VIN" number is usually stamped on the top of the frame under the hood on the driver's side close to the radiator.  That's where my '41 Zephyr is, and the stamping is pretty deep and should be visible.  There could be a bunch of paint covering it, so look carefully and you might have to scrape some paint to read it.  Those body plates on the firewall are not the ID number. Also on top of the bell housing if you remove the floor cover it should be stamped and it should match the frame number unless it's been changed from another vehicle.  

7 hours ago, Tom_Overfield said:

Not sure about your 36, but my 41 also has it stamped on the drivers side outer frame rail, under the filler pipe to the gas tank, or close to that location.

Tom

How about that rearside number? Is it above-, side- or below that rail? Where I can find it? 

On 3/5/2017 at 11:05 AM, puli-song said:

Thanks Ray!

Do you have some pic that location? Mine frame is so rusty, that those numbers are rusted away. If I get exactly location, I might see some shadow of that number.

Thank you! 

I'll take a pix and send it soon!!!

2 hours ago, Tom_Overfield said:

That rear number is on the outside rail, drivers side, toward the rear of the rail. Use a wire brush or coarse sandpaper, it show show up somewhere back there.

I need WERY rough wire brush. :D My last hope is cut place of the number off and take x-ray pic of it (yes - welding inspection x-ray will show hiding numbers inside metal) That's why I need as exact place as possible.

36 pihassa.jpg

Before you cut out the frame, try keeping a wire brushed section wet with Evapo Rust overnight. It does a good job on removing rust, while leaving solid metal alone. It is available at Walmart, Menards and Harbor Freight

• Like 1

Yes, it's there for sure.  I had to scrape and scrape and finally it became clear on my '37 on the left frame rail close to where the cross member joins it.  Look near the left front engine mount

58c179c845458_2014-10-2413_55_28.thumb.jpg.39afe02db69c7ba426fc43bbde53aa03.jpg.