Sign in to follow this  
rageracing

Fluids

Just wondering what everyone uses for oil in their car.  I have rebuilt the entire drivetrain and I use Brad Penn sae 30 oil for the engine but was wondering what people use for the tranny and rear.   Manual calls for some pretty thick stuff.  Not sure we're to get that or modern equivalent. 34 Plymouth is the model year in question.  Thanks

Go back to the first forum page and do a search for "transmission oil"  there are 300+ topics.

And realize that if ten people read this question and answer you will have fifteen different answers.  Many based on what they think, some based on science and some based on what someone has told them. Here is a list of some modern oil that can substitute for your transmission or differential.

HYPOID Sae 250 Sae 140

Shell Dentax

Shell Valvata

Texaco Thabun 250

Texaco Meropa 680

Mobil 600W Cylinder oil

Lubriplate SPO 299

Engine oil is a whole different picture, there are 1216 answers if you do a search and many many many opinions.  I prefer single weight detergent oil. #5wt for the first 10,000 miles after a rebuild and #10wt after that.  I have managed to get between 120,000 and 260,000 miles between overhauls, with about half of my driving on the highway at 50-55mph driving a car with poured babbitt bearings and a 4.3 to 1 rear end.  Couldn't find single weight this last time I did my engine so am using 5-20 wt this time.  We'll see what happens.

Edited by Tinindian (see edit history)

To corroborate what Tinindian says about using thin oil in babbit bearing engines... a while back I watched a documentary on Youtube of Ab Jenkin's speed record run with a Pierce Arrow V12. He used Pennzoil 20W20. For a continuous 24 hour speed record, at over 100MPH, on the Bonneville Salt Flats, in summer. Yet there are guys who think they need 50 weight to drive their Model A around the block (they are wrong). It's a wonder their motor gets any oil at all since the oil won't even flow until it gets hot and their motor never gets hot.