1931 Auburn purchase

I am looking to buy a 1931 Auburn convertible/coupe. 

I have found several cars on the internet ranging in price from 75K to 125K.  What questions should I ask before buying a plane ticket?  Anything jump out about these cars that I need to pay special attention to?

What is the difference between the 8-98 and the 8-98A?

Any help appreciated.

ricosan

Rico

First question:  is it assembled? This is very important! Some of us think assembled cars are just no fun and disassembled cars are so much less expensive!:D

Second question: any sign of coolant issues ie water in oil?  Known issues are head corrosion and water jacket corrosion in valve guide area but those could be the same issues for any straight eight from the period. You already have a nice Marmon so this likely won't be news to you.

The A or Custom was largely a matter of extra chrome plated trim, a dash insert and your choice of paint colour . Mechanicals and sheet metal are identical.

If you haven't already done so , post over on the ACD forum as well. Neither of my 'parts ' cars runs as yet so I'm hardly an expert!

Brad

This is a MUCH rarer and better buy!!!    I am selling this beautiful 1936 Cord unsupercharged phaeton, engine number FB 1502,for my friend Leonard Jarvis. The car is stored with his restorer,Bob Baucom,near Williamsburg,Virginia. It can be seen there. Any questions concerning the cars condition,call Bob weekdays at 757 869 9912. Leonard bought the car for $57,000 in 2013,and it has been represented to him the motor has been rebuilt.It is on an engine stand. Since buying it,Leonard has spent $13,000 on the beautiful yellow paint job,and $20,000 yes $20,000 on the chrome which is in boxes. The original leather interior is with the car. Bob tells me before the car was painted the body was super solid and straight and virtually rust free. Nice car to finish and enjoy! As mentioned,$90,000 plus invested. Sacrifice for $69,000. More photos to serious inquiries only! Photo request to George Albright at gnalbright@gmail.com  Cell weekdays 10-4. 352 843 1624. Again call Bob Baucom concerning the cars condition,as it is in his shop.757 869 9912 weekdays

cord1936#1.jpg

cord1936#2.jpg

cord1936#3.jpg

cord1936#4.jpg

cord1936#5.jpg

Thanks for the info Bradsan.  The cars I'm looking at are fully assembaled.  I don't want something that is just a bunch of parts although it's hard to resist sometimes.  I want to be able to enjoy the car from the very beginning.  I learned on my Marmon how fast you can spend money on a antique car.  

I've always loved the Auburns.

ricosan

Ricosan

Another thing you might want to consider, if you are in the market  is that 31-32 and even 33 are the same style car with 33 having the most cosmetic changes.

All 31's came with single speed axles and most of those axles are low speed gears ( there were 3 gear ratios available) so that everyone could drive around town without shifting. Finding the higher geared cars is difficult.

32 A's  came standard with a two speed rear axle which might suit modern touring more. Some 31 owners have put the 2 speed axle in their cars, not original but more practical and still looks correct unless judging is your thing.

Brad

• 11 months later...

I have a 1932 Auburn 8-100A Brougham for sale, it is a beauty and I hate to part with it but, I am 78 and retiring. It has a #'s matching inline 8 cylinder lycoming flathead engine and transmission, dual ratio rear, self lubing chassis, Startix, freewheeling, dual spare continental kit with the only surviving original trunk and many other original parts. It is Preston Green with Butterfly Yellow pinstripe. It is a multiple show winner with older restoration that runs beautifully. I just joined the site today but am a long standing member of the ACD club. I noticed your request and thought I would reply before I create a for sale ad. I am listing it for $90k and you can call (972)834-8111.

auburn.jpg

auburn too.jpg