My new OLD car

Hi everyone, I have just joined the group, I am from Australia, I have just bought a one family owned 1950 Pontiac Silver Streak, it's a "GMH" General Motors Holden built body, the chassis and all the running gear imported from the USA. this car is my third Pontiac

167 off the line out of 341 built in Australia in 1950. The car has been worked on over the years and maintained to a tee.. just love the car..

You can see it on youtube .. type in ..    Driving in Paynesville.     My home town, other pictures in the gallery..

This forum site is very good, so much help when I need contacts for part. , forgot to mention the mats ... amazing

DSCN4616.JPG

DSCN4738.JPG

DSCN4744.JPG

Edited by Storkey
add photo and typo (see edit history)

thanks, drives so well, the previous owner is not driving now, The car has been in a shed for a long time..I brought it home on the back of a tow truck.. 100 miles or so in your lingo LOL we us kms . So little work to put it back on the road, minor issues with the brakes.. rubbers only and a good polish and the chrome came up a treat with a product we have over here called "purple" Pic is of the Pontiac just out of the shed.. Its a kind of a barn find, by the way, the white walls inserts by Portawall from Turkey!!! 133 US dollars shipped free to Australia.. they finish it off eh

DSCN4400.JPG

DSCN4401.JPG

DSCN4418.JPG

Edited by Storkey
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, maok said:

Mate, its a TOPS car.

Oh! Your lawn needs watering.

we had a very hot summer this year.... and I am tooo busy out and about in the new toy... can ya blame me eh... and G.Day mate from aus

• Like 1

Update on the car, we had a get together of all the Gippsland car clubs... over 100 cars.. veteran, vintage.30 40 50 60 70 80 90s... great day with good people.. the Pontiac of mine.. The President's award.. very happy

DSCN4870.JPG

DSCN4817.JPG

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 9:38 PM, mipodesign said:

Welcome! your car looks absolutely amazing!

Thank you...This car is very special, its 167 built of the assembly line of 341 built  in Australia in 1950, Not many left, I would say?.. One family owned it for 67 years since  new.. wonderful to drive and enjoy.. the owner became sick and had to give up the right to drive.. a very nice man

I have done a lot of work on the body and the whitewalls  finish it off don't you agree..

Greeting from Australia.. and G/day  MATE...

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 10:03 AM, maok said:

The only thing that is no good on this beautiful Pontiac is the VIC plates.

Surely the fog lights will be useful in the Gippsland winter? They look awesome by the way.

Enough of Victoria bashing, we keep all the other states in Australia  alive with our dribbling drifter caravan money... LOL ..

BUT the fog lights will never be used, It's a Summer ,Autumn cruiser.... very happy with this car... Motor is so smooth and quiet... you can hear the clock ticking...? 

I got some gal steel from "Bunnings" and made the brackets so to  fit behind the bumper bolts. I did not want to drill holes in the body.

Yesterday it was at the Bruthen pub Rockabilly Rumble.. Its a annual thing some great rods there.. Cheers Maok.... and enjoy the cars we have eh

DSCN5022.JPG

DSCN5003.JPG

DSCN5005.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Is there anything on the body plate to suggest that the body was 'built by Holdens' or is it more likely that it was assembled from imported panels? Norm Darwin's History of Holden Since 1917 doesn't cover the period after 1948 but does say that from 1946 the cars used imported panels. Just curious as I know the pre war cars used imported guards (fenders), grilles and maybe even cowls, but I suspect the post war stuff was just an assembly job while they got on with getting the new Holden car into production.