Hupmobile Model 20 Poster`

MochetVelo

Si , Bellisimo ! I think , using my rudimentary Italian , that the claim is being made that the silent , powerful Hupmobile requires less maintenance than a horse ! Seems like a good selling point back then. But , what is that little ditty he is singing as he happily speeds along the highway ?  - Carl

Oh . Yeah ! That makes sense, considering the graphics and the comma . But "Spunta" is the key word here. I have absolutely no idea , but do you actually know what that means ? And here I pictured the proud owner being moved to operatic praise of his delightful conveyance in resonant harmony with the exhaust note. But that really doesn't compute. On closer examination, there is no expression on his face , mouth closed , to corroborate my hastily postulated theory. And sadly , to further burst my romantic bubble , he may not be speeding along at all. With goggles raised , and wheel spokes apparently static , I think he has stopped to enjoy the view. He does appear to be looking in the direction of the valley , and his hands are definitely in a rest , rather than a control position. Well , that's my current trivial conjecture, and I'm stickin' to it !   - Carl

With the wheel in the ruts, perhaps he doesn't need to steer at all.  I remember driving out in the country in the fifties and driving maybe ten or fifteen miles at 30 or 40 mph without my hands on the wheel.  The only problem was that sometimes the ruts turned into a farmer's field.  OOPS.