Sign in to follow this  
PFitz

U-joint flexible discs for Driveshaft, Gen, and waterpumps.

Hello, to all.  

Just want to let those of you who have cars with rubberized fabric U-joints discs, for drive shafts, generator, and water pump drives, know that I can make new discs. I have been making them for Franklin, Cunningham, Chandler, Nash and others. And I rivet them into clutch disc hubs as part of my clutch discs and Franklin cooling fan hub rebuilding service of over 30 years.   

These are not NOS old, hardened rubber that will overheat and quickly disintegrate in use. The discs are made from fresh stock, modern, high-strength industrial, all-synthetic material that is waterproof, and oil and grease resistant.  They are much stronger than the original rubberized cotton canvas discs.

I custom make them to any diameter up to 9 inch OD and ½ inch thick. With up to ½ inch bolt holes. I just need to know the outside and inside diameters, the thickness, the number and size of bolt holes, the bolt circle diameter, and how many discs are needed. If you can provide that info, I’d be glad to give a quote by email.

I can be contacted by pm.

Thank you,

Paul

Edited by PFitz
Adding info (see edit history)

For those interested, here are some pix of recent drive shaft discs I've made. The first picture is disc sets for two Chandlers discussed in this thread,

Also some pix of Franklin cooling fan hubs that I rebuild.

And some 1920's and early 30's clutch discs that I also rebuild the hubs, plus reline with new friction facings.

These fabric rings are not NOS, dried out, hardened rubber that will overheat during use, just a like an old canvas cord tire will fail. They are made from all new, modern synthetic material that is stronger and more oil, grease, and water resistant than the original vulcanized rubber and canvas discs were.

Thank you.

Paul

Chandler driveshaft rings.JPG

29 Nash 420 Standard six discs..JPG

DSCN1593.JPG

DSCN1603.JPG

P1010076.JPG

DSCN1640.JPG

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

The disks used by the car companies in  the twenties and thirties for steering columns and generator/water pump drives were referred to as a "hardy disk". You can find them on eBay for Duesenberg, Pierce Arrow, and Studebaker. Many early cars used them for drive shafts in place of a universal joint. I have seen several originals over the years, some marked Goodyear, others with a logo I couldn't decipher. They were manufactured using die cut tooling. Ed.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Thanks, edinmass.

I thought Hardy was only on driveshaft parts on the other side of the big pond. My 33 Austin uses a  Hardy-Spicer drive shaft. The same drive shaft on the US cars that I work on just says "Spicer".  

And the Franklin factory engineering drawings I have of the rubberized discs that Franklin used for their cooling fan and clutch disc hubs, and  their u-joints, makes no mention of the "Hardy" name. Some of the u-joint parts drawings mention that the parts are sourced from Spicer.  However, they do specify Goodyear, or Thermoid as their suppliers of those discs. In 35 years of working with these the only ones I've seen with a maker's name on them are the Goodyear discs. Most discs have no name at all, even though they are identical to the few marked Goodyear.

Paul     

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

Just made a set of drive shaft discs for a Franklin Series 9 owner.

Paul

DSCN3462.JPG

On 1/26/2020 at 8:50 PM, oldmanreo1924 said:

I am in need o these for 1924 reo t6 can you send email 

oldmanreo1924@gmail .com

Oldmanreo,

Thank you for your enquiry. Email sent.

Paul

Paul,  I need a clutch rebuild for a 26 Nash. with new fabric center.  Andy Wise  andygarage@comcast.net     302-245-7276

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 9:15 PM, AWISE said:

Paul,  I need a clutch rebuild for a 26 Nash. with new fabric center.  Andy Wise  andygarage@comcast.net     302-245-7276

Yes, I can make and rivet in new fabric centers. Email on it's way to you.

Paul