Are 1931 pinion seals replaceable?

keiser31

Has anyone here ever replaced the pinion seal on a 1931 DH6? A friend is trying to do just that and is having trouble. He says the guy he took it to told him it can't be replaced. I can't believe that. Does anyone have a clue as to where to get the seal for certain? Thanks.

John

Keiser 31.  There is a pinion seal on EBAY that says fits Dodge 30-33. It is the same as my 1930 DC dodge pinion seal, so I'm presuming it will fit your car. If you don't have any luck in the states I can give you a contact in Melbourne that recently supplied me with 2 new ones. I" ll dig out the spare one & get you a number if you like.

Kevin BC

In June 1996 I fitted a new pinion seal to my DC. I just bought it locally, probably by size: I wrote it down as 1.75"-2.75" seal. I can't remember, but it is my guess I took the old leather seal out of the carrier and put in a modern seal. Looking at that one on eBay, that is probably what I did.

Keiser

Looks like maok has you on the right track. It would be possible to take out the seal, as Spinneyhill  suggests, but I tried that & finished up buckling the flange ,being heavy handed as the seal was hard to shift after all these years. The leather in the seals I got hold of were in excellent condition, but if they haven't been stored correctly they could be dried out. Try to check if they are wrapped in greaseproof paper still, if you go down that path. Mine came from " AA Bearing Company" in Melbourne, if you want to check them out, very good people (Denis is his name). I have done business with him for my DC, for G/box bearings Steering box bearings & cones, pinion seals, rear wheel seals.

Kevin BC

Kevin BC

Keiser , use the SKF web site to cross and old number to modern seal after first finding that number on same site . this same site was used to find throwout bearings discussed last year .  Mine yielded 6 crosses ,I then bought new SKF 17605 which  = old # 314963.

Tom