38 Special MC "interchange"

I had try to let sleeved my mc,but the machining shops told me, it isn't possible to this part.They can overbored it and build a new Piston for it. 
That wasn't ok for me.
The Remanufactured mc ,I heard not so good thinks about it...
After search arround i found the Mc 2796 from a CJ 6 Jeep, it match nearly perfect into the car,had only to build a mounting adapterplate and need a fitting for the line (thread is the same,but another sealing style,inverted flare 1/2"-20,Edelmann # 265500 ) .
Inner dia of the Cylinder is also 1".
The original:

28451074ii.jpg?rand=1488283221

Jeep CJ 6:

28451088yz.jpg?rand=1488283395

The Adapter plate:

28451109sx.jpg?rand=1488283524

Edited by jenz38 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Sleeving master cylinder bores is not in the realm of normal machine shops, but originated in the Corvette hobby with their disc brake calipers.  Some of these vendors later expanded into the old car hobby and what you desire.

No disrespect intended, but I'd trust a reman master cylinder (with some kind of warranty from the company) than a one-off modification by a machine shop somewhere.  In any event, they'll all need to have new seals and gaskets.  I found a repair kit for a '39 Century at www.rockauto.com, made by Dorman, with a cost of about $12.00 USD (new piston, springs, etc).  Why not rebuild what you have?

NTX5467

On Wednesday, March 01, 2017 at 3:07 AM, NTX5467 said:

Sleeving master cylinder bores is not in the realm of normal machine shops, but originated in the Corvette hobby with their disc brake calipers.  Some of these vendors later expanded into the old car hobby and what you desire.

No disrespect intended, but I'd trust a reman master cylinder (with some kind of warranty from the company) than a one-off modification by a machine shop somewhere.  In any event, they'll all need to have new seals and gaskets.  I found a repair kit for a '39 Century at www.rockauto.com, made by Dorman, with a cost of about $12.00 USD (new piston, springs, etc).  Why not rebuild what you have?

NTX5467

A popular us -car garage here in germany offered a sleeving job , many years ago....but they stopped it  time ago...

Another shop for manufacturing Gearboxes,where a friend of mine is working ,has try it but at this especially mc model, it's very difficult,because of the thread at the end.

I heard from a guy who ordered a remanufactured MC and it leaking after installation, he must planing the rear sealing surface and had to use a new seal for the rear big thread.

I had ordered  years ago wheelcylinder ,they are leaking too, because of oval over bored.

And yes,i know rockauto and I have ordered Kits for all cylinders before I start with the brake job ,to be prepared ...,

but it not will work with some bad deep rusted marks inside the mc wall.

That's why I look for another way with a 1" bore,easy to get master cylinder... ;)

Greetings Jens. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bob H said:

White Post Restorations in Virginia recently sleeved a master cylinder and wheel cylinders for my 1939. Spendy, but lifetime warranty. Bob H

Sounds good...

Bob, do you know how much it will cost ?..

At the next brake job in some years it will be an option for me, to send all my 5 cylinder into the states to this shop. 

Jenz: The master cylinder was $185 and the wheel cylinders $85 each. The sleeves are brass and the workmanship is excellent. I went with them because they will never rust. White Post was prompt and easy to work with, I would use them again. There may be others who provide this service but White Post was recommended to me by another Buick enthusiast. Bob H

• Like 1

Thanks for the additional information.  Sometimes, prices might seem higher than normal or what might be considered "reasonable", BUT if you only have to do it "once" AND can make that a part of any later sales pitch (to a prospective purchaser), plus the safety aspect, then it becomes "an investment" rather than "cost".

NTX5467

On Friday, March 03, 2017 at 11:21 PM, Barney Eaton said:

Jenz38.....if you would add your location to your profile, responders might give you a different answer....most would assume you are in the US

Thanks Barney,

That told me,that my English are not TOO bad....?..

And yes ,you're right..,I will do that.

I'm in Syke (speak seeka) ,Germany ..near of Bremen (Becks Beer,come from), up in north... 

• Like 2

On Saturday, March 04, 2017 at 1:24 AM, NTX5467 said:

Thanks for the additional information.  Sometimes, prices might seem higher than normal or what might be considered "reasonable", BUT if you only have to do it "once" AND can make that a part of any later sales pitch (to a prospective purchaser), plus the safety aspect, then it becomes "an investment" rather than "cost".

NTX5467

You're right,

but I like to do unorthodox repair that looks like original and that all with much easier-to-get-parts...

2. I build alltime in respect of the oem-condition from that ol'  time ... ,no modern thinks inside , nothing of the old parts will destroyed, only stored for that this car all times is completely build back in its absolutely correct delivering condition from 1938..

Also the MC ...nothing has changed on my frame ,tubes,fittings and the pushrod ...

?

Many people told me,with my hopped up engine (200 hp) I need a stronger,longer rearend and a 4 speed box (instead of my small, weak synchromesh ) ,may be one with overdrive (T5) ...that is a solution that I'm not wanna do, because of change the rear to a open driveline with a 4 link and so on...

I don't do that , because of the respect of its never restored,rustfree original condition .

That's the reason for that I have the ( ,i think ?) biggest original 38 special Gearbox 

Collection here in Europe..

Two in store ,one in the Car..

Cheers Jens ?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...