This is "Bucklan", LeSabre -60

Guest LeCat

Mainly for my own sake I'll start a thread here so I remember myself what I do to her and when. The first introduction I already did in the "introduce yourself thread" so I won't repeat that here, but I guess I can do the rest of the story. Some years ago me and my wife attended a car show and saw quite a few beautiful 50's convertibles, you know the normal you see like Impala-59 and Caddys and she said - "I sure would like to have one". Silly me said, well - if I find a good object to restore I'll get you one for your 50th birthday. Sigh, should not have said that since I just could not find any that was even close when I looked at ads. People were selling pure rustbucket junk for astronomical prices. So we kind of forgot about it, well I tried but she didn't. Ended up restoring (still do but soon done) a Volvo 544 -60, bought an Audi 80 -94 convertible in almost mint condition last summer but still wanted a "real" car. Finally found it this x-mas by pure luck. 

It's in pretty good condition, almost no rust. All I have done so far is change door/window and trunk seals, change passenger side window since there was a crack in it. I'm going to put in an electric fan in front of the cooler so I can be in traffic-jams without being too nervous about boiling nailhead. Probably will make a new inside passenger door panel also before it's time to spend the summer on the road. 

To be continued......

(Almost forgot, for those who don't speak swedish her name "Bucklan" means "the dent") Yes, I always have strange names on my cars!! :) 

4in1.jpg

If someone has pictures of how it should look under the dash (left and right) of the steering column i sure would like to see them. Not the most usual place to take pictures of.

add to list of things to do - fix electrical system. There has been some hobby DIY electrician in the car at some point resulting in a major mess. Probably will have to change all of it. Some day..  When I have time for it.. 

right now I'm a bit sad. I spent 3-4 weeks under my 9-5 aero changing/fixing suspension, brakes, Well most of it all front and rear and then it took my daughter 2 days to totally wreck it against a telephone-pole! By pure luck she got away with a blue eye and some bruises but the car was not even near saving.  

2 minutes ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Wow  glad your daughter is ok

So am I..

learned that giving a 300hp car to a 19y/o when it's snowing is a bad idea:unsure:

1 hour ago, LeCat said:

right now I'm a bit sad. I spent 3-4 weeks under my 9-5 aero changing/fixing suspension, brakes, Well most of it all front and rear and then it took my daughter 2 days to totally wreck it against a telephone-pole! By pure luck she got away with a blue eye and some bruises but the car was not even near saving.  

Good grief!!!  Glad your daughter is ok, and sorry for your loss.  Hope it wasn't her fault. 

7 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Good grief!!!  Glad your daughter is ok, and sorry for your loss.  Hope it wasn't her fault. 

Well. If the road turns and you dont..... ok, snow decided that for her. 

Hopefully she learned something from it. And now she has to drive my old 'diesel-Doris' Citroën pickup with 54 roaring hp:) instead

• 4 weeks later...
Guest LeCat

Just got my new radiator from the US. Now i just have to build some brackets and it's time for first spin around the block

Guest LeCat

Guess you guys in the US dont undestand how lucky you are. Geting parts here across the pond is a pain, shopping fees  are silly.. that is if seller wants to ship international. My radiator for instance, had to ship it to a friend in TN since seller refused to ship it to me... sigh.. so it had to go to Nashville just to get a shipping label and then sent to me..

ok, i could get one here - if i waited until july. Not an option.

Guess i should have been interested in a camaro or mustang, then life is easy. But a buick -60.     Sigh, but I just love her so she is worth every shipping cent

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LeCat
On 2017-04-17 at 9:59 PM, RivRider said:

That is a real beauty,glad I'm not the only one naming cars,my '60 is called "Elvira" 'cause she's all black and Elvira would sure look good behind the wheel,although she'd probably look better behind the wheel of yours!

Any girl looks good behind the wheel of there beauties:D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LeCat

Came down to the garage today and felt a huga smell of gasoline. Sure enough, there was a pool of it under the car. A bit strange i thought since that never has been any indication of that earlier, after some thinking i realized that i filled her up before parking wednesday. After some crawling under her i could see that all hoses  from the tank were dry and broken. Bit lucky that did not happen 100 Miles from home wednesday, and even more luck that I didn't get a rolling tourch that day since all gas came down about 1 inch from the exaustpipes. Time to get the tank down and replace all rubber! 

Guest LeCat

Took down the tank today and all rubber hoses just disintegrated, they wanted to be in a thousand pieces. Guess it was time to fix them.. spent 3 hours and a gallon of degrease fluid to get it kind of clean. Now i just have to figure out how to solve the broken gauge. 

Guest LeCat
On 2017-02-28 at 2:31 AM, JohnD1956 said:

A hard lesson!  She is lucky you let her drive the Citroën.

She kind of got tired of dieseldoris and bought herself a new 9-5. I even had the nerve to let her drive the lesabre?IMG_2853.thumb.JPG.0de24562aff1e69f100a54a05813fc83.JPGIMG_2852.thumb.JPG.20c100fd950bb5c9dd9fb22ec7cedb22.JPG

Guest LeCat

Progress! Spent a few hours just to discover that parts for the tank cant be found. So, after some soldering I now at least have a clue how much gas there is in the tank. Made a new gasket, (nice to have a laser cutter) and some net around the intake. Yeah i know it's not pretty but who looks inside the gastank? After some paint you cant tell it's almost 60 years old. 

IMG_2900.JPG

IMG_2902.JPG

IMG_2903.JPG

• 2 months later...
Guest LeCat

New lesson learned, brakes are nice to have. Backed out of the garage and it took me 200 yards to get her to stop when i finally hit the parking brake. Time for a total rebuild of the brakes, all fluid was inside the drum of the right front wheel. 

For some strange reason I found myself to be the owner of a GMC safari at the same time. No clue to why i needed that one, but who needs a reason when it comes to cars?  Wasn't very well recieved at home, my dear wife majja just told me i was insane and the daugters simply named it "rape-van" and refused to have anything to do with it?

Edited by LeCat (see edit history)

Guest LeCat

Had a nice evening looking at a LOT of cars including a Lesabre and an invicta in mint condition.. thought the evening was perfectly until it was time to leave, pressed the startbutton an all I hear is a "pffft, bang" and up comes a cloud of smoke from under the hood. Never seen a starter fail that badly, almost burning. Guess it's just to buy a new one, and they are not cheap......

IMG_2944.JPG