Seafoam65

New package trays released for 63-65 Rivieras

The only hesitation I have with fiberglass is that I may not be able to install speakers on a fiberglass package tray. Has anyone tried that? 

Benefits of AACA Membership.

If you're going to cut huge holes for speakers, get the cheap tray.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, atencioee said:

The only hesitation I have with fiberglass is that I may not be able to install speakers on a fiberglass package tray. Has anyone tried that? 

How about putting in this in the rear instead? You replace the original speaker and it looks original with a dual in one speaker. RETROMOD™ NEO-SERIES 6'' x 9'' 200-WATTS DUAL VOICE COIL SPEAKER

https://www.retrosoundusa.com.au/index.php?l=product_detail&p=179

Edited by SwedeDownUnderR63 (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

There's plenty of room so why no get some real sound separation and put the rear speakers in the arm rests on each side?  Put the matching front speakers in the kick panels.  Or if you go with the dual cone 6x9 in the back, put one of Turnswitch's 4x10 dual cone speakers in the front.

• Like 1

Clark's tray is $365 and they only come covered. Deduct the cost of covering and materials. I would go for it but mine is in good shape. I sure wouldn't cut speaker holes in one. The rear seat layout is perfect for 8" to 10" subs under the lower cushion if you want thump. I have that under the front seats of another car and they are fine.

• Like 1

I used the Clarks tray with vinyl covering. The fit is great. The challenge is installing it with no mounting holes in the fiberglass. Here is how I installed it... First I used velcro across the back so I didn't need to drill holes there. In the back corners the last screw in the metal trim goes through the package tray at a strange angle, and is a pretty long screw. I drilled abut a 3/4 inch hole in that corner to mane installation of the screw easier. The trim covers that whole area anyway. I am pleased with the result.

16 hours ago, KongaMan said:

One should note that the viro-Nazis have closed Clark's until at least May 18, so there's no hurry place that order.  You might also note that they no longer sell uncovered trays, so be sure to get those vinyl samples.  Unfortunately, a pre-covered tray without holes makes OEM-style installation a bit more challenging.

P1070585.JPG

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, KongaMan said:

You might also note that they no longer sell uncovered trays, so be sure to get those vinyl samples.  Unfortunately, a pre-covered tray without holes makes OEM-style installation a bit more challenging.

Not sure of my timeline but I began my package tray install about a year ago. I’m still not finished haha. It needs a ton of work (bondo) that I am not sure I wanna do. I have a fiberglass tray that I bought from the gent who once repop’d them. His health was deteriorating at the time & he sold me what he explained was a poor example of his work. For $50 I was ok with that because my cardboard one was horrible & I wanted to install 6x9’s also like one guy mentioned. 

As I started my install I realized the fitment SUCKED. I wished I had a better tray to start with so I called Clark’s. I told her I wanted to cut holes for speakers in tray but HATED the thought of ruining one of their super nice $365 unit. The lady (I forgot her name) said she sells bare/uncovered trays for guys like me even the the website states otherwise. She called it a Raw Package Tray & gave me the part number & cost which I wrote down. I should’ve wrote her name too. I didn’t buy one yet. I came up with a few janky fixes to mine for now.

As for the 3 screws that a lot of u guys are concerned with, someone said it, u dont “need” the 3 screws. I haven’t installed any of the pieces to secure my tray in place. NO screws, NO metal side trim pieces next to sail panels, NO metal trim pieces next to seats that extend up onto package tray, NO Velcro...I haven’t even cut the slots for the factory speaker grill to slip into. My tray literally is simply just  laying there snuggly between two rear seats

Part #R92TNB, Price $259

Edited by RockinRiviDad (see edit history)
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, RockinRiviDad said:

The lady (I forgot her name)

I think she is in charge of the upholstery shop and a real asset to the company. I have an envelope of samples that she sent me quite a while ago after a nice talk. When I get to that point there won't be any shopping on my part. I will just call them.

Bernie

• Like 2

Thanks everyone...the responses that you provide are insightful and helpful.

• Like 2

Anna is her name along with Mark.

• Like 1