New package trays released for 63-65 Rivieras

Seafoam65

Was browsing the CARS online catalog and they have just released new package trays for our cars

in original style and also mesh style in many different colors. I am curious if they are made like the originals with correct curves and contours.

If so these are a Godsend for Riviera restorers.

There was an older gent who built them out of fiberglass & posted ads in the Riview. I bought one & my buddy bought two. He stopped making them after my purchase due to health reasons. 

Ive been away for a while now but I can remember someone saying this old gent was back in business. 

Worth a try…

11 hours ago, telriv said:

It doesn't fit over the rear seats even close to correct from the angle in the picture.

Yessir, as we talked about on the other forum, pretty pi$$ poor, but its what I had to work with.  I'm happy with it now after some more fitting and tucking.  I'll post pics on another thread once I get the rest of my interior finished up here hopefully next month.

Thinking I was getting a bargain , I ordered one from  OPGI a few years ago. It came  flat and non contoured but with holes where required. I was disappointed . I`m not sure that a person requiring the fit and finish of an original would be happy.  I repaired the two speaker holes in mine.fixed the warping and recovered it in vinyl from Clarkes. It was a time consuming job but worth it when I was done. 

Caveat Emptor  

Good replicas are elusive, most are just plain crappy. I rebuilt mine, fiber-glassed it then covered it with vinyl. In the corners, I had to add cardboard to make up for material lost to water/sun damage and time. Pieces were coming off and it was crumbly overall. It took a while and I felt like I was building a surfboard, but it's really the best way. PRL

• Like 1

You can also coat the old shelf with a thin epoxy (having removed the vinyl first) to stiffen it and hold it together.  Anything that will soak into the old shell rather than just coating it is good.  One thing to be wary of if you stiffened the shell with fiberglass, epoxy, resin, or the like: it's going to be much more rigid than the original.  Which means that if you goop up a warped shelf, you might find that it's a little difficult to bend it back into position to install it (or it might crack).  If you're feeling bold, you can remove the vinyl, install the shelf in the car, then give it a light coat to lock it into position.  Once it's set, you can pull it, give it a heavier coat, and recover.  And of course, you'll probably want to mask off or remove anything you don't want to drip resin on.

• Like 1

KongaMan is right. It needs to be able to flex somewhat, especially where the middle section bends down to meet the speaker grill and directly behind the seats. The interior on my car was out when I rebuilt mine so I was able too test fit and resin coat it while sitting in the car. In my case, the corners were really damaged so I did a lot of fitting, adding and rebuilding. The original piece is really just cardboard so it does soak up resin or epoxy. I used a very fine grade (model grade) fiberglass cloth on the top and bottom. Finally, I experimented with the new vinyl covering. At first, I tried a thin layer (1/8") of foam between the rebuilt tray and the vinyl. It started to get lumpy in the hot Texas sun. I pulled it out and simply used contact cement to glue the vinyl directly to the tray and it's held up great. PRL

• 3 years later...
On 2/21/2017 at 8:58 PM, RivNut said:

I'm sure it is.  The one that Clark's was selling was made from fiberglass and they had no color choices.  They highly recommended that you let them cover it in the vinyl of your choice.  It also cost about five times what CARS is asking for theirs.

I did see that Clark's fiberglass one is a bit pricy...how is the fit on the Clark's fiberglass package tray? Does anyone have one and does it fit well?

As I stated in post #2 in Feb. 2017. Read it. It's an EXACT copy, fits well & comes covered in your choice of vinyl colors.

Quality costs $$$$.   Cheap out & you will be spending MUCH MORE time, fitting, trimming, etc.

It's actually true "you get what you pay for" especially in this instance.

• Like 1

Telriv is not telling you that he had an NOS package shelf thatvthe sent to  Clark's  and they made their mold from that NOS piece.  It's worth the money.  If your not sure about lining up and drilling the thee hole below the window, one forum member recommends using Velcro to keep it in place.

• Like 1

One should note that the viro-Nazis have closed Clark's until at least May 18, so there's no hurry place that order.  You might also note that they no longer sell uncovered trays, so be sure to get those vinyl samples.  Unfortunately, a pre-covered tray without holes makes OEM-style installation a bit more challenging.

If the screws are THAT IMPORTANT to somebody for authentic look, one could cut the screws down and retain them from the backside of the tray. It really doesn't need to be held in place. Once the metal trim surrounds are placed back on it's not going to go anwhere.

Those replacement trays are over 500 bucks between the unit itself, vinyl covering and shipping. I wouldn't want to be the one to miscalculate a hole.

FWIW, you might have luck coating your existing cardboard with urethane resin (usually used for casting).  If it soaks in, you'd have a reinforced, flexible solution.  Even if it just coats the cardboard, that might be adequate if it adheres well.  You could also add fiber to the resin to make it stronger.

1 hour ago, KongaMan said:

At $500, I'd spend a little looking for a restorable original. ;) 

I wouldn't spend 500 either. Buying new isn't what the essence of the hobby is about to me.

I painted mine with 2 coats POR-15 and covered in vinyl. It only has to be solid enough to make it to the back window, Its not holding the car together LOL

3 hours ago, atencioee said:

The only hesitation I have with fiberglass is that I may not be able to install speakers on a fiberglass package tray. Has anyone tried that? 

How about putting in this in the rear instead? You replace the original speaker and it looks original with a dual in one speaker. RETROMOD™ NEO-SERIES 6'' x 9'' 200-WATTS DUAL VOICE COIL SPEAKER

https://www.retrosoundusa.com.au/index.php?l=product_detail&p=179

Edited by SwedeDownUnderR63 (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

There's plenty of room so why no get some real sound separation and put the rear speakers in the arm rests on each side?  Put the matching front speakers in the kick panels.  Or if you go with the dual cone 6x9 in the back, put one of Turnswitch's 4x10 dual cone speakers in the front.

• Like 1

Clark's tray is $365 and they only come covered. Deduct the cost of covering and materials. I would go for it but mine is in good shape. I sure wouldn't cut speaker holes in one. The rear seat layout is perfect for 8" to 10" subs under the lower cushion if you want thump. I have that under the front seats of another car and they are fine.

• Like 1

I used the Clarks tray with vinyl covering. The fit is great. The challenge is installing it with no mounting holes in the fiberglass. Here is how I installed it... First I used velcro across the back so I didn't need to drill holes there. In the back corners the last screw in the metal trim goes through the package tray at a strange angle, and is a pretty long screw. I drilled abut a 3/4 inch hole in that corner to mane installation of the screw easier. The trim covers that whole area anyway. I am pleased with the result.

16 hours ago, KongaMan said:

One should note that the viro-Nazis have closed Clark's until at least May 18, so there's no hurry place that order.  You might also note that they no longer sell uncovered trays, so be sure to get those vinyl samples.  Unfortunately, a pre-covered tray without holes makes OEM-style installation a bit more challenging.

P1070585.JPG

• Like 5

17 hours ago, KongaMan said:

You might also note that they no longer sell uncovered trays, so be sure to get those vinyl samples.  Unfortunately, a pre-covered tray without holes makes OEM-style installation a bit more challenging.

Not sure of my timeline but I began my package tray install about a year ago. I’m still not finished haha. It needs a ton of work (bondo) that I am not sure I wanna do. I have a fiberglass tray that I bought from the gent who once repop’d them. His health was deteriorating at the time & he sold me what he explained was a poor example of his work. For $50 I was ok with that because my cardboard one was horrible & I wanted to install 6x9’s also like one guy mentioned. 

As I started my install I realized the fitment SUCKED. I wished I had a better tray to start with so I called Clark’s. I told her I wanted to cut holes for speakers in tray but HATED the thought of ruining one of their super nice $365 unit. The lady (I forgot her name) said she sells bare/uncovered trays for guys like me even the the website states otherwise. She called it a Raw Package Tray & gave me the part number & cost which I wrote down. I should’ve wrote her name too. I didn’t buy one yet. I came up with a few janky fixes to mine for now.

As for the 3 screws that a lot of u guys are concerned with, someone said it, u dont “need” the 3 screws. I haven’t installed any of the pieces to secure my tray in place. NO screws, NO metal side trim pieces next to sail panels, NO metal trim pieces next to seats that extend up onto package tray, NO Velcro...I haven’t even cut the slots for the factory speaker grill to slip into. My tray literally is simply just  laying there snuggly between two rear seats

Part #R92TNB, Price $259

Edited by RockinRiviDad (see edit history)
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, RockinRiviDad said:

The lady (I forgot her name)

I think she is in charge of the upholstery shop and a real asset to the company. I have an envelope of samples that she sent me quite a while ago after a nice talk. When I get to that point there won't be any shopping on my part. I will just call them.

Bernie

• Like 2