Can someone tell me about Duesenberg pipes?

Hi there, 

I don't know much about inline engines or Duesenbergs. I sometimes see photos with Duesenbergs with exhuast pipes exiting the hood on both sides. While the vast majority are only on the one side, and I can obviously see looking at the straight 8 that they are on one side. So can someone tell my why I see some Duesenberg pics with pipes exiting the hood on both sides of the car?

Thanks,

Ross

Duesenberg-Car-8.jpg

When you see them exit from the driver's side then you know you are looking at a 1980s Duesenberg II with a ford truck engine in it.

When they made the last Gatsby movie they were so cheap then didn't use a real Model J and anybody that knows anything about prewar cars knew they were looking at a Ford truck with a glass body.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

On a real Duesenberg "J" NO pipes will be seen on the drivers side unless it's a right hand drive car

which in itself is rare..The photo seems to be Jim Schneck's Brunn Riviera Phaeton judging by the

color. Sad and sorry end for such a fine man.When he was looking for a "J" head to dissect for his

stunning head reproduction project,I got him hooked up to the also now deceased Harry Van Iderstine

who had one from SJ551 and was not a good head for driving.There was a deal worked out and new heads

for the "J" were produced. How many I don't know but I think Harry Van Iderstine got one.I am glad I had

a small part in that idea.

3 hours ago, Bob Roller said:

On a real Duesenberg "J" NO pipes will be seen on the drivers side unless it's a right hand drive car

which in itself is rare.

How did that work? I have never seen a real one with pipes on the wrong side. Did they have a mirror imaged head and manifold set for right hand drive cars?

On 2/1/2019 at 7:01 PM, Bloo said:

How did that work? I have never seen a real one with pipes on the wrong side. Did they have a mirror imaged head and manifold set for right hand drive cars?

On 2/1/2019 at 7:53 PM, alsancle said:

I hate to question Bob, as he has forgotten more about Duesenberg than I know but I think he misspoke on the right hand drive pipes.

Watsamatterwitchoosetwo ? Although we all, me probably more so than most, have been known to misspeak on those days when we get up on the wrong side of the bed, this is not an occasion when Bob did. The pipes did not change sides. The driver did. Therefore, all five of them ended up on the SAME side. 🤔............................😂.          Sometimes drives on the wrong side of the road :   -   CC 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You're right.I mis spoke about the RHD cars.ALL the "J" engines,with or without superchargers were the same head

configuratation.Sitting in the drivers seat the intake is on the left and the exhaust on the right. My apologies for the

brain fart.One of the joys of a fossilized brain.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:45 PM, C Carl said:

Watsamatterwitchoosetwo ? Although we all, me probably more so than most, have been known to misspeak on those days when we get up on the wrong side of the bed, this is not an occasion when Bob did. The pipes did not change sides. The driver did. Therefore, all five of them ended up on the SAME side. 🤔............................😂.          Sometimes drives on the wrong side of the road :   -   CC 

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:45 PM, C Carl said:

Right on C Carl,

I have only seen ONE RHD "J" in my life.It was "J159"at Auburn,an unrestored but very operational car.

Also "ALL 5" pipes come thru the right hand side of the hood.:P**

This discussion of external pipes brought back a bad memory. Years ago when we rebuilt J528* for

Harry Schulzinger we had been running it for a couple of hours as a test and pulled into the front of

the garage and shut it off. An old black man was standing there and said "That is one fine car,

what is it?" I told him and he then reached over and laid his hand on one of those FOUR pipes and

it scorched him badly.He said "I wanted to find out what that was". I told him to get in the car and

I'd have him to St.Mary's hospital in about one minute. He refused and walked away.Bob Wilson

was a teenager in 1933 and saw an SJ with the manifold extending thru the hood and saw the

gold eagle emblem on the radiator shell.He said the paint was badly blistered where the pipe went

thru the fender.

** English limo body by Barker and NO pipes.

* Brunn Conv.sedan called a Riviera phaeton,There were three built to identical pattern.All three

still run,fully restored and then some.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Bloo said:

I think I am the one who had a brain fart for not putting it together that the "driver's side" of a RHD car is the right side. I own a RHD Studebaker....

What year is the Studebaker. I had a 1960 Lark years ago and I think the whole thing was built for $20

including parts and labor.

🧐.  Eeeeeyah............... Almost looks to me that Bob's brain fart occurred at the point he THOUGHT he had had a brain fart. 🤪  Or ahhhhhhhh, er ahhhhhhhh, ummm, maybe I am the one with a fossilized brain. 🤬🧠🦖🎺🚽. That should cover all the bases.  

Now as to "ALL 5" (sic) : my sentence "Therefore all five of them ended up on the SAME side.", works out arithmetically like this : 4 pipes on the right side, + the now displaced driver, (1 thereof), = a total of 5. Right ? 4+1=5. Get it ?

Now, in defence of my confession regarding sometimes driving on the wrong side of the road, are you able to divine the rationality of such displacement by the sequence shown below ? Note : no cars were ahead of nor behind me. This is Southbound on California 1, a little North yet of Limekiln. Vehicle is my original unrestored 1927 Cadillac. Have I ever told you about the time 40 years ago when going the opposite direction just North of Partington Point, I blew off a Dino, and an A.C. Cobra while all 3 of us were moving rapidly towards the Monterrey historics ? Oh yeah  : I was driving a bone stock 1971 Cadillac Eldo convertible, top down. And please believe me, I used all sides of the road, and provisions for a wide margin to accomplish this feat. Lots of you guys would have LOVED that one. "Oh what fun it is to ride................... "

Brain fart ? Excuse me. 🚾    -   Cadillac Carl 

696DED55-A571-4867-AFA5-1188B00EF083.jpeg

003A7C6F-42A8-44E8-AF76-E3BF680C15C6.jpeg

E8713F50-A100-4C00-95E4-99895F1F7AC3.jpeg

Edited by C Carl
Change "30" to "40 years ago". How time flies ! (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 5:58 PM, Bob Roller said:

which in itself is rare..The photo seems to be Jim Schneck's Brunn Riviera Phaeton judging by the

color. Sad and sorry end for such a fine man.When he was looking for a "J" head to dissect for his

stunning head reproduction project,I got him hooked up to the also now deceased Harry Van Iderstine

who had one from SJ551 and was not a good head for driving.There was a deal worked out and new heads

for the "J" were produced. How many I don't know but I think Harry Van Iderstine got one.I am glad I had

a small part in that idea.

Please amend this one mistake on identifying the Duesenberg as Jim Schneck's Riviera Phaeton.

The tan color made me think it was his car. This one in the picture had dark blue fenders and I

should have noticed that feature.