Searching for my dad's '31 sedan

Hi all,

My dad had a '31 Buick Model 57, serial number 2580817, since the mid-50s, before he was married.  My sisters and I grew up in this car.  He sold it in 1982, and ever since then he's been hoping he could visit it one more time.  Can anyone help me find out where it is now?

It was purchased in Aug. 1982 by J Walter Pratt of Jaffrey, New Hampshire.  Bob Whitaker, the dealer who bought it from Dad and sold it to Pratt, says that Pratt really liked Buicks, but he didn't keep them too long.  He suspects that Pratt sold it in another 5 years or so.  Pratt passed away in 2012, so I can't follow up with him.

Below is Dad's description - photos from 1982 are attached.

Thanks for your help,

Kelly Williams

Mount Joy, PA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The serial number is 2580817 and the plate is located on the outside of the car's frame just to the rear of the right front wheel.  It is not an engine number.

Some identifying features:  The car model is a series 8-57, the smallest of the four series for the 1931 model year (50, 60, 80, 90), but a later 8-57.  It has an 8 cylinder engine, 1931 being the first year for the Buick 8s.  It was fitted at the factory with a series 60 transmission and full floating differential, ie, flexible shackles at both ends of the rear springs.  The solid bar bumpers are also 60 or later series, the earlier 50 series having split-bar bumpers.  I added the turn signals and the spare tire cover.  The car is authentic and original in every respect (except the paint) and it had all its original accessories (with the exception of the spare tire lock cylinder and gas cap), including the original set of keys and bumper jack and lug wrench.  All of the door locks worked and the windshield raising mechanism was operational.  The windshield could be raised an inch for full width behind-the-dash to floor ventilation, or it could be raised the full about 3" to allow air flow to the entire interior.  The interior upholstery was original.

The car was originally titled as a 1930 Buick, but this is incorrect since all the 1930 Buicks had 6 cylinder engines.  I'm guessing that if the car was bought late 1930, when the new models were coming out, it could conceivably have been titled as a 1930. 

1931Buick_Spring82a.jpg

1931Buick_Spring82b.jpg

The car was originally titled as a 1930 Buick, but this is incorrect since all the 1930 Buicks had 6 cylinder engines.  I'm guessing that if the car was bought late 1930, when the new models were coming out, it could conceivably have been titled as a 1930. 

It is likely is was a 1931 model year that was made and sold in 1930. Hence titled 1930. Model year started about September (at least did for mid-late 1930's)

I was informed (from somewhere) that the early 1931 50 series cars actually had the new straight 8 engines with Marquette transmissions and open drive shafts.  So, it actually makes sense that if your father was a real car guy, he may have ordered the car with a 60 series transmission & torque tube driveline.

• 3 years later...

In the new BCA Roster, it looks like there are 69 of this model listed.  Serial numbers aren't listed of course but the roster has contact information for owners in other sections.  You may want to become a member so you can access the roster and perhaps track it that way.