Cars and TV shows

rocky5517

Just watched a few episodes of "Americarna"/ pretty good, not too much b.s. They did a special on the Corvette Museum sinkhole collapse; what a tragedy. Narrator said " since the beginning, approx 1,600,000 Vettes have been made, and approx 800,000 are still registered, making it the most collected car in the country ( and probably the world too). 

Interesting statistic/ wonder how many Riv's are still registered?  Are there services that track such things as State by State registrations? 

Corvettes were used and abused consumables for a long time. In the late 1970's there were a lot with rotted frames and pieced together wrecks still in the $1000 to $1200 range. I came close to buying a rebuilt '60 for $1200 and a '66 convertible for $2500 in the front row of a Chrysler dealer lot. The older ones didn't start to escalate in price until the early 1980's around here. I remember, very well, regretting that I didn't buy that '60 only 6 months or a year earlier.

They continue to be a cheap car today. With $10,000 or less you can come home with a real babied example without doing a ton of shopping.

I have a soft spot between the ears for Jaguars, but every time I look at them I think it would be more practical to by a 'Vette with all the Chevy parts. Then I think about how I am quirky enough as I am without having to get past the stigma attached to being a Corvette owner, as well. I don't even like those gold horn necklaces for men.

I would say the only source to those statistics is in the script. My guess on most collected, by percentage of manufactured, would be with the membership of the Rolls-Royce Owners Club. The peasants whom write scripts probably would not think of that. (See the last paragraph).

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

1 hour ago, slosteve said:

I recently watched a 'Restoration Garage' episode where they did some small repairs on a nice '65 Riv GS that they had restored in the past. The best part was watching them test drive it out on their country roads.

Steve

No, the best part was when he fixed the headlight motor by tapping on it with a hammer.

1 hour ago, slosteve said:

I recently watched a 'Restoration Garage' episode where they did some small repairs on a nice '65 Riv GS that they had restored in the past. The best part was watching them test drive it out on their country roads.

Steve

No, the best part was when he fixed the headlight motor by tapping on it with a hammer.

I think Vettes and Harley's have something in common. Lots of older guys buy one because they've always wanted one, they get one and don't use them much. It's a last grasp for virility before the walker is brought in. But, Vettes are hard to get in and out of and Harley's are tippy when you're old so they don't see much road time. Seems like half the gear heads I've met have one or the other sitting around their garage. If you want a  babied C4 Vette or a Softail Classic with low miles you're in luck because there is one on every block. I don't doubt the high Vette survival rate. PRL

1 hour ago, petelempert said:

I think Vettes and Harley's have something in common. Lots of older guys buy one because they've always wanted one, they get one and don't use them much. It's a last grasp for virility before the walker is brought in. But, Vettes are hard to get in and out of and Harley's are tippy when you're old so they don't see much road time. 

Thanks for laugh. :DThat's cruel.  :o

I can see those wanna be Vette and Harley guys, but this is the Buick part of the forum, completely different people.

When we were planning the 2005 Nationals a couple people mentioned their concern about a trailer park that backed up to the show parking lot. Talk about virility and bucket lists, I immediately envisioned a Buick club octogenarian hobbling back onto the parking lot with American flags taped to his walker and a condom dragging from the rubber tip on the leg. Sometimes thoughts just get triggered.

Bernie

Well, not THAT different. This is my 94 6 speed. Not a BAD car, but working on it is a pain in the rear. Too much plastic and sheetmetal screws threading into j nuts on the interior. Smoking a cigar right now, and drinking beer cause I am pissed that I can't get the kneeboard under the steering wheel to line up with those damn j nuts now. Doen't hold a candle to my 65 Riv. About ready to let it go.

20161113_145757.jpg

Attached is a  picture of my HOMEBUILT, LS3 powered, C4 suspended, power everything, 1962 Corvette. No longer have the 1967, 1987,1999, or 2005. And just for the record I have never owned a gold chain or disco ball. I do however have a nice 64 Riv.  Love em all.

WIN_20150503_123520.JPG

• Like 2