1936 Dictator Coupe 3A tail light base

The tail light base for my 36 Dictator Coupe is cracked.  I need to get it repaired before I can have it painted.  I do not know what kind of metal that it is made out of.  Can someone please tell me if you know and how it can be repaired.  The last thing that I want to do it ruin it by trying to repair it incorrectly.

Thanks for any and all help.

Dennis

If you are looking to buy be aware that the right and left are different.  I believe they are pot metal.  There is a welding process called Muggy Welding IIRC which you might explore.  Look on Ebay as the lights and bases have been listed recently. 1937s are the same.

263359p  (standard) which I assume means left side and 263358p (extra) which I assume means right side.

Edited by SMB (see edit history)

I have had several of those taillight bases crack at the back end where they come to a point.  I have repaired them using an epoxy product called PC-7. It is very durable and does not shrink when it cures.  It is easily sanded, primered and painted. It stays where you put it (I have had experience with JB Weld running off parts in the past.) You can't be in a hurry if you use PC-7.  It takes about a week to fully cure.  It is also used by many to repair antique steering wheels because while it's curing you can mold it.  Eastwood sells it as part of a steering wheel repair package and it is readily available on line.

Unless you are very skilled and knowledgeable, putting heat on that old pot metal is likely to destroy it.  Tom

Thanks for everyone's help. Today I took it to Noland's  Cylinder head service in KCMO and the welder on the staff fixed it by using pot metal rods. The owner said that he, the welder is the best in town. Can fix cast metal or anything.  I believe him as he fixed it and now all that I have to do is smooth it out before I take it to the body shop. I originally went there to get a broken pressure plate bolt out and the welder got it out by welding onto it and backing it out. Just an FYI.

Thanks again,

Dennis

• Like 1