Sign in to follow this  
GregLaR

Errol Flynn's Packard?

Murray Gammon passed on a number of years ago. Andy's tip is accurate..Tom Crook was a close friend of Murray and purchased a number of his cars. He would have the straight scoop.

Cheers,Pat

On 2/14/2017 at 6:29 AM, rb1949 said:

Looks like he owned a convertible.

ErrolFlynnandhisPackard.jpg.1677063e9a01af0ef05357fc370c47cd.jpg

That stoneguard looks like the type available in the 70s-80s for any car just give the outline of the radiator. There's also a pretty modern streetlight down the road. I think the most famous fake celebrity car was The Elvis Corvette, a 54 (?) model that was sold at the Atlantic City Auction in the late 70s. Somebody supposedly found an Elvis receipt under the seat during a hurry up restoration. I think it turned out to have been planted there as Elvis never had a car anything like that. It was before he became famous. A lot of funny business went on at those auctions of yesteryear.Even though many victims got their money back a lot of record prices were established and never went  back to reality.

Edited by Dave Mellor NJ (see edit history)

8 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

I think the museum was a little optimistic with their figures? The V12 engine is 473 cu in not 500. I would be surprised if it could do anywhere near 120 mph. It would weigh near to 6000 lb and the rear end ratio is 4.4 to 1 - unless it has a tall rear end?. 4.4 is about the same as a late '30s Buick and they run out of revs at about 80-90.  It would need to pull 5,000 rpm to do 120 mph?

I do agree on that.  I scanned the page 'as shown' without comment on the errors in the text.

All the cars in that museum were well-restored when I saw them in 1986.  Perhaps the most interesting car there was a 1967 Lincoln Lehmann-Peterson 8-passenger limousine which was an unmolested example up to that time.  The original 9" Philco-Ford black & white television and tape-player were still intact and in place in the middle rear seating area below the partition window.

Craig