Warm up time

arnulfo de l.a.

How long from initial start up to when cold light goes out does it take  for your car to warm up? My car 65 rivi gs all stock drive train , never rebuilt, factory spec thermostat,original 3 row radiator with a/c  takes 3 1/2 to 4 minutes . That's in 65 degree SoCal weather idle at about 600- 650 rpm. Seems like a long time when I'm sitting there waiting .

If you just let the car idle until the engine warms up your ignoring the transmission and the rear end.  Those fluids need to warm up as well.  Better to start driving with the engine cold and let everything warm up to operating temperatures at the same time. If necessary, wear heavier socks to keep your feet warm.

Ed

I agree , better to drive slow for warm up and i do for a couple of miles after the light goes out. I live near downtown los angeles so its not easy sometimes to drive the slower speeds. Does anyone idle until light goes out? If yes about how long does it take? Im wondering if maybe my temp switch is going bad

I'm guessing each car will vary depending upon the carb, choke set up, use of manifold heat/or not, factory air cleaner/or not etc. My 63 starts and idles high (full choke) particularly in winter and after about 60 seconds, I tip the throttle, dropping the idle and the light goes off almost simultaneously. I agree with others that it's probably better to creep around slowly for a few block to get everything warm. To satisfy your curiosity, you could get one of those cheap infra red thermometer guns from Harbor Freight, start you car, let it idle, aim it and read the temp directly off the motor. PRL

I turn the key and go.  Given where the car stays, it's a mile or two before I can put my foot into it, so there's a built-in warm up period by default.  If it's exceptionally cold, I might give it a minute to smooth out, but that's about it.  Even so, I have no reservations about dropping it into gear with the green light still on.