'39 commander windshield/window rubber

fh4ever

hi all, I posted this request on the other site and I will try here too in the event there is a different crowd here....

Can anyone suggest where to buy all the glass rubber for the '39 commander? including the vent window rubber, and the door glass anti-rattle strips (not the window channel)? Valerie Hansen does not carry the rubber.
Also what is the original thickness of the door glass? my existing door glass and vent window measures .210" thick...kind of odd size? did the lamination swell from 3/16" or was it .210" thick from the start? Just curious ....if I get 3/16" thick door and vent window glass, will it be loose in its metal attachment frames? (the metal frame at the bottom of the door glass and the vent window metal frame) I will be using new glass setting rubber strips in the frames. The difference of 0.023"  is probably not enough to worry about, and may make it easier to go in. I just find .210" thick is a little odd?  

Are you a member of the Antique Studebaker club? I recommend it for the magazine. The classified ad's will help with this type of enquiry.

Steele have front window vent rubber at $184.70/pair. Probably lots of other rubber too. Also try Metro Molded Rubber. Also try the usual Studebaker vendors including the Shrock Brothers.

I believe you called me a few days ago asking for the rear swing out window rubber seals.

I loaned a set to John McCall as patterns and he has fallen off the earth.

If you have patience I may have some of the pieces.

I hope to be recovered from my surgery in three weeks and will go my shop.

leave me an email   studebaker@mac.com  and I will let you know.

In have several items for your car including an N.O.S. bumper , rear fender, dash switches

and hundreds of small springs , clips , engine parts.

Robert Kapteyn 

rbk...it was not me that called you, but I might be looking for the rear vent window rubber too.  I plan on getting the glass kit whether I install these two pieces of glass or not.  I need to study it to see if the swing out window frames are 2 piece...otherwise, not sure how to replace the glass. I am in no hurry, so take your time to heal.  I can email you in a few weeks.  

For the windshield and doors, I think SI will have most of the rubber.

Spinneyhill....Steele is a good bit cheaper, I noticed the interior trim presses against the rubber,  I wonder if the Steele rubber contour is such that it does not affect the trim going back on?   

I replaced the front vent windows in my L5 Coupe Express, 30-odd years ago. I didn't replace the rubber because none was available, from memory. The glass just pulls out; it is only held in by the tightness of fit in the lining inside the channel. I think if you start at the top is it easiest.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

I can do the front vent windows...done several other cars.....its the rear vent windows I am not sure about...they have a full frame...and I dont see any joint in the frame....there are a couple of clips for the hinges which may be hiding the joint(s).  the rear vent windows are lower on my to do list at the moment.... The Steele windshield rubber is what I meant was cheaper...the vent window rubber is priced the same as SI.