Factory Options in 40s & 50s

D Yaros

In looking at pics here of 40s & 50s era cars sporting blue dots in the tail lights and continental kits I am wondering"

• Were blue dots ever a factory option?

My guess is no.  I recall them being an aftermarket item readily available from suppliers like J.C. Whitney/Warshawsky.

I also recall them being declared illegal in Indiana back in the 50's, as they were deemed not as visible as an all red tail light.

• Were continental kits ever offered as a factory option?

Again, my guess is no.

What say you?

10 minutes ago, D Yaros said:

In looking at pics here of 40s & 50s era cars sporting blue dots in the tail lights and continental kits I am wondering

• Were continental kits ever offered as a factory option?

Again, my guess is no.

What say you?

Continental kits, YES.

They were an option on several Ford products in the 1950's and 1960's, and are especially common two-seat T-birds.

Nash was probably the next 'famous' for offering continental kits.  Henry J also offered a factory continental kit.  On Packards and Cadillacs, connie kits were standard on the Caribbean and Eldorado models, and might have been available on the 'lesser' models.  (Someone can confirm)

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

1 hour ago, D Yaros said:
  • Were blue dots ever a factory option?

My guess is no.  I recall them being an aftermarket item readily available from suppliers like J.C. Whitney/Warshawsky.

I also recall them being declared illegal in Indiana back in the 50's, as they were deemed not as visible as an all red tail light.

They are illegal everywhere.  Red or amber are the only colors legally allowed at the rear of a car. Blue dots were intended to thumb one's nose at the law; seeing how long you could get away without being cited.  Most police don't bother with them, since they really are harmless, but they can be an excuse if the officer wants to hassle you.

Update:  Apparently they have been made legal in SOME states in the last few years on cars that qualify for antique status.  Lawmakers have apparently figured out these cars don't really get driven much.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)

40 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

They are illegal everywhere.  Red or amber are the only colors legally allowed at the rear of a car.

Were they illegal when they were made back then, Joe?

I can't believe that a mainstream company would sell things

in the 1950's that were opprobrious to the law. 

I believe I have some 1958 Car sales literature with accessories in them and they have continental kits for both Chevy and Ford in their respective Dealer sales catalogs right along with compasses and even shavers.  It's all about selling the accessories to make extra $$$ so they tried to sell everything.  There is a purse holder on ebay right now for an early 1950's Pontiac in the original box. 

Of course continental kits were standard on 1940's continentals. 

16 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Were they illegal when they were made back then, Joe?

I can't believe that a mainstream company would sell things

in the 1950's that were opprobrious to the law. 

bowdown.gif

Opprobrious. Very nice! :D

To your question, "mainstream" companies sold "catalytic converter test pipes" for years.  How many parts sold today are labeled "not for sale or use on pollution controlled motor vehicles"? From what I've been able to find, however, the laws on tail light colors weren't standardized until the 1950s, so I guess prior to that the blue dots were not actually illegal everywhere.  They've always symbolized a sort of harmless flaunting of the law.

This is more of a question then answer but I have a memory from the late 50's when I was a kid of Air lift suspension of some sort on a high optioned convertible, maybe Buick or other GM car?  Was that an option. He pulled up and got out of the car and you could hear the air being released.

26 minutes ago, Doug Novak said:

This is more of a question then answer but I have a memory from the late 50's when I was a kid of Air lift suspension of some sort on a high optioned convertible, maybe Buick or other GM car?  Was that an option. He pulled up and got out of the car and you could hear the air being released.

All five GM divisions offered air suspension from 1958-59, except for Cadillac (starting in 1957 with the Eldorado Brougham, extended to other models in 1958) which offered it until 1961.

Each division had their own catchy name for it; as I recall Chevrolet called theirs 'Levelaire', Buick, 'Air Poise', and Oldsmobile, 'New-Matic Ride'.  Someone can refresh my memory as what Pontiac called theirs (Ever-Level(?)) and Cadillac, if they even did call their version anything.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Ford also offered an air ride system even in the Ford line up.  I don't recall seeing if Edsel or Lincoln offered it.  I think Mercury did,  so Lincoln probably did. Must be really rare to find a 58 Ford with original air ride today.   I think it was introduced in 58 on the Ford line up. 

22 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Ford also offered an air ride system even in the Ford line up.  I don't recall seeing if Edsel or Lincoln offered it.  

An early Edsel TV commercial mentions air suspension being available but I do not know that any were actually produced

As far as continental kits most were dealer installed. They came from a variety of manufactures. The two cars that come to mind with standard factory installed continentals are the 1940-1948 Lincoln Continental and 1956 Ford Thunderbird. The rest would have been a dealer installed option.

3 hours ago, padgett said:

Think the '50s were a period of "power everything" from antennae to vent windows (some Cads had eight power windows, anything have nine ?)

Early 1960's Imperial Ghia-built 8-passenger limousines. 

Besides the eight electrically operated side windows, the partition behind the front seat would make it a total of nine.

Craig

GM I think did experiment and advertised a device that automatically put your top up on Convertibles if it sensed rain.  (I think it might be listed in my 1955 Chevy Color and Upholstery album under accessories)  I think Cadillac offered it as well ,atleast in it's original phase when they developed it,  though I've never actually seen it on a car.  I'm guessing it probably didn't work real well if at all. 

There was a do it yourself gadget to automatically raise the top when it rained. Take a spring clothes pin, put 2 electrical contacts in the jaws and clamp an aspirin tablet in between. Mount behind the rear seat with a funnel over it. When it starts to rain the aspirin dissolves, the contacts close, and they are wired to the top control switch. Saw the plans in a Popular Mechanics magazine from the forties or early fifties.

• Like 3

I remember seeing a Pontiac based 2-seater on Worth Avenue with an automagic top. Also had a vacuum ashtray that carried butts to a glass canister under the hood. Could have bought it for $2k but it had a Hydromatic (GM execs commonly wintered there in the '50s).

1 minute ago, padgett said:

I remember seeing a Pontiac based 2-seater on Worth Avenue with an automagic top. Also had a vacuum ashtray that carried butts to a glass canister under the hood. Could have bought it for $2k but it had a Hydromatic (GM execs commonly wintered there in the '50s).

Doesn't matter what year that car was, $2000 seems like it was a good deal and a serious opportunity missed. Hopefully you aren't talking about one fo the 50's dream cars.  I'd still be kicking myself to this day. 

Bought a Jag XK-150s (triple carb) for $1500 instead. Four speed Moss gearbox (taught me double clutching to get into 1st at 25 mph) and Laycock de Normanville overdrive. Was much easier to shift once I heated/straightened the shift lever. Back of white shirt became red on a hot day. Prolly reason I like a DOHC 6 with a manual trans & white car with red interior.

2 hours ago, padgett said:

Also had a vacuum ashtray that carried butts to a glass canister under the hood.

I have one of those gizmos that I think is aftermarket. It looks like it has never been used.

I keep thinking I will put it in one of my cars but I don't smoke or let anyone smoke in any of my vehicles.

I just lied, I have some Cuban cigars that I bought recently and I will enjoy one of those on occasion. But not in any of my vehicles.

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 10:02 PM, auburnseeker said:

GM I think did experiment and advertised a device that automatically put your top up on Convertibles if it sensed rain.  (I think it might be listed in my 1955 Chevy Color and Upholstery album under accessories)  I think Cadillac offered it as well ,atleast in it's original phase when they developed it,  though I've never actually seen it on a car.  I'm guessing it probably didn't work real well if at all. 

The 1951 LeSabre showcar was the first GM car with that feature. 

Craig

I don't think that the "Ashaway" was meant for cigarette butts, though. I think it was about just the ashes. Hudson dealers, and I'm sure just about everyone else, offered battery fluid tenders. They were devices that would keep the battery acid above the plates. I'll bet that more strange and wonderful goodies were sold by dealers than the factory.

16 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I'll bet that more strange and wonderful goodies were sold by dealers than the factory.

Not always.  There are some obscure factory authorized accessories.

And here, Mercedes Benz thought they were the first to come up with the 'Airscarf®': http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?79763-Dealer-Public-Relations-Material

Craig

On 2/7/2017 at 0:30 PM, joe_padavano said:

They are illegal everywhere.  Red or amber are the only colors legally allowed at the rear of a car. Blue dots were intended to thumb one's nose at the law; seeing how long you could get away without being cited.  Most police don't bother with them, since they really are harmless, but they can be an excuse if the officer wants to hassle you.

Update:  Apparently they have been made legal in SOME states in the last few years on cars that qualify for antique status.  Lawmakers have apparently figured out these cars don't really get driven much.

I had purple lights behind my cab and I went through a weight station in CA at nite and they had me pull to the back. They made me remove the lights and a 1000.00 fine.

img_0066.jpg

7 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Dave, how many amp alternator to keep all of that lit?

This was my friends truck. Mine was this car hauler that had 500 plus lights that were a show truck for Volvo. They are all LEDs and the hardly take any amperage. I was using one 160 amp Leece-Neville alternator.

mOIUrLkt9OomizLW5UKTk5g.jpg

2014-10-14 09_06_45-David Montanbeau Sr..jpg