"Detroit Steel" TV show

rocketraider

Anyone seen the "Detroit Steel" episode where they did a 1956 Olds 88? Except for the air suspension and wheels that was a real nice restoration job on that car. They even salvaged the original 324 Rocket engine rather than stuffing the ubiquitous GM LS in it.

And the best part? NO ARTIFICIALLY RUSHED DEADLINES and NO MANUFACTURED DRAMA! The show may change later, but this is the kind of car rebuild show I can enjoy. And I'd have enjoyed it even if it hadn't been an Olds they were doing.

And it's made me think I ought to have a 56 Olds in the yard. I was born in 56, the 56 Olds is just a sexy-beast car any way you look at it, ad nauseam... I'm trying to talk meself out of doing something foolish!

• Like 3

Saw it too and agree they did a good job on the car.  Show has some manufactured drama added to the build but overall not too much to make me look for the remote.  The great cars of the 1950s seem to be fading memories as they get second billing to the muscle car era.

Terry

Well you know what they say, "you may have heard of Jalopies, you heard the noise they make,  let me introduce you to my Rocket 88"

I almost sold mine (1956 88 2 dr hdtp stick)  2 years ago.  It's the one I bought and drove in Highschool 25 years ago.  They do have good looks.  Other than those massive bumpers very little chrome and pretty clean styling for a 1956 auto. 

21 hours ago, rocketraider said:

And it's made me think I ought to have a 56 Olds in the yard.... I'm trying to talk myself out of doing something foolish!

Rocket, if your budget is okay and you can

find suitable storage space, start looking for a '56 Olds!

They should be available reasonably, since they aren't on any fad list.

Just don't park it in the yard---

I watched the show because it was an Oldsmobile.  I agree it was better than most.  It was irritating to hear them constantly refer to an 88 Rocket.  No one, and I do mean no one would have ever called it such in the 1950's.  It was "Rocket 88," da_n it!

• Like 1

I took a look at the show after seeing the comments made here.  It is much better than most car shows, especially the totally obnoxious "Fast and Loud".  They did a good job on restoring the '56 Olds and the black and white paint job looked good.  I remember seeing them in black and white as new cars and I always liked the look.  It was a turn off to me when they decided to put an air bag suspension on it and stopped watching at that point.  The show is promising and I will watch the next episode. 

By the way Auburnseeker I had a '55 Olds 88 2 door hardtop with stick and I still am so sorry I sold it to get a new car.  That was a great car!

Good Show, some what more realistic then some of the others and they did an amazing restoration. Would not have thought it possible from it's condition when they rolled it out of where it was stored. The White and Black color scheme didn't look so good, but the repaint looks great. :)

Reminded me of the first car I restored back in the '70s. It was a '54 Pontiac, two door Post, with a Flat Head Straight Eight and 3 on the tree. It was Black and White also come to think of it.

Old picture from the '70's that I copied using my cell phone to take a picture of and then email to my computer to down load it to here. Hub Caps are from a '52 Buick.

20160518_195611.jpg

Maybe I missed it, but what channel???  Any show that gets away from the tattooed, swearing, bearded, self-proclaimed automobile designer with a torch in one hand a sawzall in the other has my vote!  Oh and enough of the stupid fake deadlines too.

11 hours ago, Doug Novak said:

It was on the History Channel at 10 PM. The format they use that makes it different is that it is unscripted.

Thank you Doug, I've got my recorder all set up!

On 2/4/2017 at 9:12 PM, Doug Novak said:

Good Show, some what more realistic then some of the others and they did an amazing restoration. Would not have thought it possible from it's condition when they rolled it out of where it was stored. The White and Black color scheme didn't look so good, but the repaint looks great. :)

Reminded me of the first car I restored back in the '70s. It was a '54 Pontiac, two door Post, with a Flat Head Straight Eight and 3 on the tree. It was Black and White also come to think of it.

Old picture from the '70's that I copied using my cell phone to take a picture of and then email to my computer to down load it to here. Hub Caps are from a '52 Buick.

20160518_195611.jpg

i have to say those are not 1952 buick hubcaps, they are 1955 buick hubcaps.

charles l. coker

1953 pontiac tech advisor

tech advisor coordinator

poci.

i have to say those are not 1952 buick hubcaps, they are 1955 buick hubcaps.

charles l. coker

1953 pontiac tech advisor

tech advisor coordinator

poci.

Charles I think you are correct. The Hole in the Hubcaps' center, which is empty, originally had a red plastic reflector Center Caps with Buick written on them.  However, these hubcaps did come off of a '52 Buick. My Dad bought the '52 from Uncle Will who had  bought a new '55 and if I recalled it had Spoke Wire Wheels thus he must have given my Dad his '55 Hub Caps. So now the question is where the hell are the '54 Pontiac Hub caps. I think I remember having two of them but not a complete set. The Pontiac was my Dad's Neighbors car that his sister gave to him. He was crippled with Arthritis and couldn't drive anymore and sold it to me for $50.    Thanks Charles for bring back the memories, and I do stand corrected.

Edited by Doug Novak (see edit history)