Wondering - WHAT WOULD THIS 57 BUICK BE WORTH?

dei

As heading says, wondering what this 1957 Buick Super would be worth to offer without insulting him.

The picture is not that good and it has been off the road for a long time. 

I know all the major mechanical things like carb rebuild, fuel pump, brakes, tires, exhaust?, points, plugs etc, etc. would have to be done just to get it running and that is if it hasn't locked up from sitting all these years but still, anyone care to guess? The upholstery is original and remember the drivers side was thin and ripped but stuffing was not torn out. The car had been repainted in the original colour before he bought it so not sure what is underneath but at the time of the picture, didn't show any issues. It might have seen one winter use.

I chummed with him back when it was on the road and know what he paid for it then but... being an accomplished professionally trained pianist (but kindly) barely knows what end of a screwdriver to use which once things became too much to pay to have things done, into storage it went in front of one of my 58 projects. That is good dry well kept storage so as it went in, other than dust, is how it stayed.

I'm going to go there soon to take pictures of mine for insurance purposes and will take more of his since it is right there.

Thanks for all comments.

5894fd1a9acef_1957BuickSuper-FunonWheelscarShow1983.thumb.jpg.1f4aa975c5761c01a9da1dd7f736c1d0.jpg

I admit Ed that it is a bit premature at this time and hope to post current pictures after this weekend. His situation has changed and trying to offer some help if I can.

While it is a 'project car' for sure, not one requiring rust out body repair and paint job as it was running when it went in some 28 years ago, so not holding anyone to hard numbers. I also will be paying attention (photograph) the pot metal bright work condition as I know from experience what good pieces can cost or how expensive to have redone.

• Like 1

The rear bumper ends are critical. Most are rotted out and finding good ones is virtually impossible to find. Recently a pair on EBay rechromed for a couple grand. A complete car rechrome in show quality will run $15,000+. Don't ask how I know! An engine rebuild will run $4000.00+. I do not know about upholstery. So with this being said, if someone is buying the car to restore to original, and the body is sound (not needing any body or floor pan work, my opinion is the car would be worth $2500 to $5000 pending more information and pictures.

• Like 1

Knowing these cars I'm going to guess that the rockers, inner and outer, are rusted along with the rear 1/4's ahead of the wheel and the front fender bottoms behind the wheel. Likely the floor also will need some rust repair. That said, the car may be quite usable after fronting the cost of the items you mention.

As for price I guess whatever it's worth to you and what you can afford to put into it. If you are thinking "restoration" you will be upside down on it even if you got for free unless you do all the work yourself, then you might break even...........................Bob

This is the proverbial slippery slope. If it is a project car, and if he is a friend you are trying to help out, then you will be overpaying. 

Really want to help him?  Spend two weekends helping to get it running again and cleaned up.  Then have it go to e bay.  If it goes for too little you can bid in where you're comfortable. If it goes for too much he will benefit and so will you, without another project on your list. You can always negotiate with him that in exchange for your efforts to help,  you'd like the right of first refusal for any legit e bay offer.  Then whatever it brings you can match it, or not,  and he won't feel like you tried to take advantage of him.

• Like 5

Heres a point of reference. Of course we don't know exactly what it sold for but its not irrational to think it wasn't much under the $18.5. I'd think this would be the top end so work back from there. The beautiful condition of this car is a good indicator they just don't demand big money. As others have stated, once you get a good condition assessment, a more accurate valuation can be done. Storage can be kind or very detrimental depending on many factors.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

I can't even tell from the photo whether it is a 2-door hardtop or a four-door hardtop. That does make some difference in the car's eventual value, the 2-door being sportier, more desirable, and a bit harder to find than the 4-door.

Guess my impulse to help got ahead of me. It is a 4 door hardtop Super.

I called it a project car because it will take some effort to get running and not try to over sell something that I know will have some cost to be on the road again. I can state that it is complete with all trim but know condition will be the big factor.

If I can arrange time Sunday will get current pictures to better show what she is. 

12 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Knowing these cars I'm going to guess that the rockers, inner and outer, are rusted along with the rear 1/4's ahead of the wheel and the front fender bottoms behind the wheel. Likely the floor also will need some rust repair.

I will pay attention to this when I go for current pictures soon. Thanks.

Doug

As suggested also give the rear bumper ends a good look. If they are rusted through on the sides they are likely repairable. I had one that was rusted through and my re-chrome guy had it cut out and a new piece welded in. Absolutely flawless when he was done and not all that expensive for the repair job itself...............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Just ask him if there is something he would buy if he had an extra chunk of cash. Once when Apple hard drives were fairly expensive a guy told me he'd lie a 30 Meg hard drive ans a new washer and dryer. I said "OK, I'll give you enough for those and an extra 50 bucks to take your wife out for a nice dinner." He said OK.

It is that easy sometimes. Just find the motivator. I find sitting on the back steps is a good place for that conversation.

Here are my kids, both in their 30's now, on the '35 Nash that was worth the hard drive, washer, dryer, + $50.

01010.jpg.c14c4aed5d839e819ed261af7bdbf2e6.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks gentlemen for your thoughts on this car especially with the limited info so far. I have made notes what to photo graph and have arranged a time for next Saturday that is convenient for the building owner. 

I really need to curb my desire to take on another project (it is a disease) and concentrate on what I have......

It's not a great picture at all of the '57 but is in in front of my Roadmaster. (Might have to be a contortionist to get some decent pics....)

589746170d0a1_1958_Roadmaster_-_Sept_7_2013_-_storage_-_pic3.thumb.jpg.b594cb9333d635863b3fc0fdce9dfce3.jpg

Edited by dei (see edit history)

As a Super, it would probably go for a few thousand more than the Century referenced above if in comparable condition.  I know it isn't, but just to get an idea of ceiling.

This one appears to be solid Garnet Red.  See if you can get a light on the firewall and snap a picture of the data plate to confirm if this is original color.  The value will be impacted a bit if not.

If it's totally solid with nice driver condition chrome, complete and unmolested, I think $4-5k would be reasonable.  That would be a price at which someone could get it fully operable again without any cosmetics and have a decent driver, but more than parts car price.  You can add and deduct from there.

One thing that I can tell you is the mirrors on the fenders are not original.  57s used exact same mirrors as 58s.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:37 AM, dei said:

Thanks gentlemen for your thoughts on this car especially with the limited info so far. I have made notes what to photo graph and have arranged a time for next Saturday that is convenient for the building owner. 

I really need to curb my desire to take on another project (it is a disease) and concentrate on what I have......

It's not a great picture at all of the '57 but is in in front of my Roadmaster. (Might have to be a contortionist to get some decent pics....)

589746170d0a1_1958_Roadmaster_-_Sept_7_2013_-_storage_-_pic3.thumb.jpg.b594cb9333d635863b3fc0fdce9dfce3.jpg

Man, that car looks like it has good bones. She's screaming for salvation.

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:27 AM, 60FlatTop said:

Just ask him if there is something he would buy if he had an extra chunk of cash. Once when Apple hard drives were fairly expensive a guy told me he'd lie a 30 Meg hard drive ans a new washer and dryer. I said "OK, I'll give you enough for those and an extra 50 bucks to take your wife out for a nice dinner." He said OK.

It is that easy sometimes. Just find the motivator. I find sitting on the back steps is a good place for that conversation.

Here are my kids, both in their 30's now, on the '35 Nash that was worth the hard drive, washer, dryer, + $50.

01010.jpg.c14c4aed5d839e819ed261af7bdbf2e6.jpg

One time a good man bought me a dinner ticket after purchasing my car. And I'll never forget selling another car to a teen and hearing him

screaming for joy after the deal. Pass it on.

Great pic. Is that Nash in Winchester Blue? What became of that handsome car?

I remember when those liberty plates issued ;)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, PWB said:

Man, that car looks like it has good bones. She's screaming for salvation.

If you mean my Roadmaster, I could use the old selling quote,"Ran when parked". :lol:

Have a guy dogging me for a long time to get it but when it comes down to the wire no talk of a serious offer....

My visit on the '57 will take place tomorrow so should have pics up by the evening.

It has warmed up into the 40's this weekend so spending some time won't be rushed to get back in my truck to get warm! Temps in the teens are NOT a fun time in an unheated garage....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dei said:

If you mean my Roadmaster, I could use the old selling quote,"Ran when parked". :lol:

Have a guy dogging me for a long time to get it but when it comes down to the wire no talk of a serious offer....

I talked to a seller of a running Buick (according to the ad) that last ran in 2001. 

I have no reason not to believe that nor do I think it was hastily put away, but 15+ years since it ran isn't running in my books. 

• Like 1

Thriller,

That was feeble attempt at humour with that very statement. :rolleyes:

Knowing for fact my friends '57 actually was driven into that very spot so many years ago does not ensure it is able to run without some serious attention to the expected usual needed things. 

One of the first things I will be doing is see if the engine will roll a bit and is not locked up. The experience with my own nailhead in the Special is still fresh on my mind. I would have bet some hard cash I could have turned the key on, hit the starter and she would have fired up!

Sure would have lost that bet and learned nothing is always as stated..... will see tomorrow. 

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 1

OK Guys,

Made the 45 mile one way trip and have the following shots of the car as it sits today.

Wished I could have taken more time for under carriage shots but 10 minutes in, had a call about my dad having fallen so was rushed.

IMG_1073_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.06a56d1eff29e245f8c05d5656bedffb.jpg

IMG_1075_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.eba11748d0342f339e7a44873e51dfed.jpg

IMG_1076_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.dc794215496b147cf8c0d1414b757802.jpgIMG_1077_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.11df133e48f107f6fc4d3f482d75a9a3.jpgIMG_1078_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.f3a89f243fb488cf9e3ae7685d2e855a.jpg

This I was aware of and unfortunately didn't take a picture of the back seat but can say it is nice with no tears or worn material. The door panels are in good condition on all four doors and believe they are original.

IMG_1079_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.df5d295d5dffb25e97c94521e1b92f0a.jpg

IMG_1080_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.c3ebb95251c9f0680af78488c2f60bee.jpg

IMG_1084_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.c0648329393e81ea7172c7354eba3a1e.jpg

IMG_1085_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.e88cfb51d945f4779cda1fa4c1f4f010.jpg

Hard to read (in a rush).

IMG_1086_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.c44c8980905f69e173aac212b274b8e6.jpg

So,

While seeing there are some window issues and after trying to turn the motor over by putting pressure on the fan belts and NOT getting any movement what you see is IMHO a solid vehicle that with some work (short of a rebuild on the nailhead which I think might free up with some soaking like my Special) could be brought back to life. To me that makes it a project but one with serious potential knowing the mileage is only the first time around at 74,000 miles.

It would have been nice to wipe her down and show any paint/body issues but saw nothing that would be a problem.

Trusting this helps for you to advise me and thanks in advance.

Doug

• Like 1

Very interesting...paint code shows Antique Ivory with Garnet Red on the bottom, consistent with the firewall.  These two colors usually are in opposite formation.  I've never seen this combo.

Assuming the body is pretty solid and underneath is also okay.  Driver rear bumper end has a little rust through, but repairable.  However, driver side is far less scarce.  Passenger side looks okay, but can't tell from pic if any rust through on bottom, but if so should be repairable.  Tail light bezels in center not great and at least one cracked and other painted.  Outsides would probably clean up a bit but look pitted.

As it sits, with just a 30 minute wash and quick scrub I'd say probably at least $2k bit would be surprised to get more than $3k.  Get it running and a little more of course.  And of course, the more you clean it up or do minor improvements the more it would help.

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks Lance.

Wish I'd had more time to look underneath too and verify. Yes the chrome has some pitting but without cleaning that up some can't say it at least would be driver quality or not. 

The only thing I can say is that it never sat in a field so presume what you see topside is what looks bottom side at this time. 

The figures you are suggesting is kinda what I felt might apply and appreciate the advice. 

Might get back when things settle down at home....

• Like 1

Thanks Lance.

Wish I'd had more time to look underneath too and verify. Yes the chrome has some pitting but without cleaning that up some can't say it at least would be driver quality or not. 

The only thing I can say is that it never sat in a field so presume what you see topside is what looks bottom side at this time. 

The figures you are suggesting is kinda what I felt might apply and appreciate the advice. 

Might get back when things settle down at home....

Doug, hoping your Dad is OK. 

I would have to agree on the suggested price. At that, you might be able to clean a little and recoup or perhaps profit a little. If you are doing this for your friend, if you are able to turn a profit , perhaps split with him. Definitely better than hidden away, costing storage.

Ben

Thanks Ben on both issues.

Dad fortunately has broken nothing or cut but he is dealing with side effects (weakness right now) from stage 4 bladder cancer. Hospice has a Home Team and are coming this week to help and offer assistance for Mom too. They are still in the home I was raised in....

My friend's mother is the same age as my Dad but dealing with diabetes health issues too so hence our common discussions about family and cars.

Appreciate the advice on the values. 

There is no current urgency to make any hard decision now but like stated, t'would be better to be cleaned up a bit and out on the road than hiding away. 

The engine being locked up is concerning and would need to be addressed before any commitment on the needed other things like brakes, tuneup, tires etc.

Hey Jim,

Well, with both our parents in not good condition we have decided to table discussion and plans on the Buick for now.

There is a remote possibility his brother might have an interest in it and would be willing for my familiarity and assistance with the car to be on the road but again, lot's going on in both our families so... 

Thanks for everyone's input as to value. 

It helped not only me but sharing this post with my friend and his family has enlighten all involved. No one was thinking gold mine but we all realise reality is best served openly and honestly.

Should something happen in the future might possibly start a thread on it in Me and My Buick section but for now is on the back burner.

Told him when I do go out, pull the pulls and soak my Roadmaster engine would take the time to do his also. 

• Like 1