Fender Skirt Identification Needed.

1937P4

Fender Skirt Identification Needed. Can someone tell me what the fender skirts shown below fit. I bought these for a 1937 Plymouth coupe but, these are to tall and hang below the bottom edge of the fender. See photos. Does anyone have a set to fit a 1937 Plymouth that they would sell or trade?

fenderskirt15a.thumb.jpg.21ed0f934fce03e7860f302e7f5d15b2.jpg

fenderskirt15b.thumb.jpg.74b14fe7b0d582427e44da9a7a009423.jpg

fenderskirt16.thumb.jpg.2839eec932e93eeb6e2484a68aca338f.jpg

fenderskirt17.thumb.jpg.3af4284ecfb3fd88d60b0352812bb481.jpg

Just checked my '36 dodge skirt - same measurements as yours. I think the emblem is '35-36 Chrysler - it looks a lot like the one on the Airflow skirt of the same years I sold a while ago.  The skirt you show is likely for the Chrysler Airstream model but I imagine the fender dimensions for all the '36 MoPars are the same. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.  The '37 Plymouth skirts are obviously different. If you do find some I have a NOS LH emblem for '37 Plymouth you may need.

Thank you 1935 Dodge Van and jpage for the information. I really appreciate it. Any help from anyone on finding a set of skirts to fit a '37 Plymouth P4 Business Coupe would be most welcomed. I'll buy straight out or trade. Thanks and God Bless.

10 hours ago, 1935 Dodge Van said:

they are airflow

Sorry '35 Dodge Van. They are NOT Airflow!! They are Airstream. Airflow skirts have a flat flange with two posts that locate the top of the skirt into a corresponding flat flange on the fender.and have no tail. These skirts have a channel  that accepts the fender edge bead. I have owned both Airflows and Airstreams and am familiar with the differences in the skirts.

• Like 2

It's my recollection that the '35 and '36 skirts for Airstreams, Dodges and Plymouths are two inches taller than '37, '38 and '39 (Plymouth only) ones. All of these non Airflow skirts have a flared (somewhat pointed) trailing edge at the rear bottom just like the one in your photos. While Airflow skirts aren't exactly symmetrical, the leading and trailing bottom corners are very similar in that they don't have that flared tip. Chrysler product skirts have always looked so similar to me that I haven't tried to commit the different styles of emblems and moldings to memory, but I believe that if these were Chrysler skirts they would have either painted or stainless (or both) moldings along the lower edge, running front to back, parallel to the bottom edge. I think that DeSotos had a painted molding as well, but don't rely on my memory. It's my guess that these are '36 Dodge, and maybe '35 Dodge, as well. It's very difficult to verify exactly which cars had which skirts when new because most of them were taken off of the cars at some point and stored away and forgotten long after the cars that they came on were sold. Factory original images are vague and Google Images are unreliable.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

It's my recollection that the '35 and '36 skirts for Airstreams, Dodges and Plymouths are two inches taller than '37, '38 and '39 (Plymouth) ones. All of these non Airflow skirts have a flared (somewhat pointed) trailing edge at the rear bottom just like the one in your photos. While Airflow skirts aren't exactly symmetrical, the leading and trailing bottom corners are very similar in that they don't have that flared tip. Chrysler product skirts have always looked so similar to me that I haven't tried to commit the different styles of emblems and moldings to memory, but I believe that if these were Chrysler skirts they would have either painted or stainless (or both) moldings along the lower edge, running front to back, parallel to the bottom edge. I think that DeSotos had a painted molding as well, but don't rely on my memory. It's my guess that these are '36 Dodge, and maybe '35 Dodge, as well. It's very difficult to verify exactly which cars had which skirts when new because most of them were taken off of the cars at some point and stored away and forgotten long after the cars that they came on were sold. Factory original images are vague and Google Images are unreliable.

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it. I have purchased a few skirt trying to locate the correct ones for a '37 Plymouth. Like you said, they all look similar but, have their own subtle differences. Have a great day and God Bless

• Like 1

Here's a link to a '37 Plymouth that is on the Barrett Jackson auction site. This sedan has the simple, less ornate style emblem that I believe is consistent with what Plymouth would have offered originally. Also, it doesn't have any molding along the bottom edge. I can't say definitively, but I think that these are what you are looking for:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1937-PLYMOUTH-SPECIAL-DELUXE-SEDAN-116502

• 4 months later...
On 2/3/2017 at 11:08 AM, 1937P4 said:

Fender Skirt Identification Needed. Can someone tell me what the fender skirts shown below fit. I bought these for a 1937 Plymouth coupe but, these are to tall and hang below the bottom edge of the fender. See photos. Does anyone have a set to fit a 1937 Plymouth that they would sell or trade?

fenderskirt15a.thumb.jpg.21ed0f934fce03e7860f302e7f5d15b2.jpg

fenderskirt15b.thumb.jpg.74b14fe7b0d582427e44da9a7a009423.jpg

fenderskirt16.thumb.jpg.2839eec932e93eeb6e2484a68aca338f.jpg

fenderskirt17.thumb.jpg.3af4284ecfb3fd88d60b0352812bb481.jpg

Wondering if you still have the skirts and are you willing to sell them? 

Regards,

Marco