I miss the DFers!

R W Burgess

How well I remember that Wayne.  I got us a small meeting room and we had a meeting of the DFers at Philly for the first time!  We had a great time and I wish it would have carried on over the years.  Indeed, it's always nice to get together and learn more about each other.   Remember the name buttons!   I still run into some of the old-timers at Hershey, but certainly, a short get-together at Philly would be a welcome thing.  Can't remember the restaurant name - goodness don't think I can even remember what I had for breakfast this morning!  It was a little hole-in-the wall with terrible service, surley waitress and all, just like out of a TV sit-com.  But, we loved it.  I think it was Ron Barnett that first took he over there years ago before I was ever on the board.  

See you soon-

Terry

1 hour ago, MCHinson said:

I still have my DFer Button. I never attended a DFer meeting in Philly, but attended at Hershey. Wayne, why couldn't we arrange a DFer meeting in Philly?  

Just need a leader Matt to spread the word. We could probably just have it on the Ballroom level at the end of the floor down by the stair case. Depending on the time of the day, there can be empty tables on that end of the floor. Looks like 12:45 on Friday would be the best time, in between seminars. Just a suggestion, Matt!

Wayne

Curti, you missed a special person in Past President Ron Barnett. Ron and Peter Gariepy put together this web site with help from others. It was quite an undertaking. At times, the web site forums would get a little wild and woolly, so it was decided to open a new forum called "Rants and Raves", so that members could have at it. Have at it, they did. It was so bad at times, that I even deleted one of Past President, Howard Scotland's post. He was not happy at the time. The moderators were very busy editing, giving warnings, deleting posts, and even banning forum members. Needless to say, it was decided to delete that forum to help the AACA promote a good image for the public. I will admit that, again, I miss those days too.  At any rate, it was decided to have a few meeting of minds at Philly, and Ron decided to call us Dfer's (Discussion Forum ..ers) Ok, so he said it with a smile.  A year or so later, we decided to have a meeting of minds at Hershey near the show field. We took pictures each year, but attendance kept dropping, so it ended. David Devine made up some nice DRer Buttons to wear. Matt Hinson and I will wear ours in Philly this year. Sadly both Ron and Howard are no longer with us. I miss them!

On another subject, as I close in on 70 years old, I realize that time is running out on me doing all the stupid stuff that I like to do. I mention this because I recently saw a Facebook post that said, "Don't bring flowers to my funeral, when you could have brought them to me at my home, when I could still smell them!"  Think about it!  Oh, and speak to me at Philly! You never know I might not be there next year! :D 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Curti said:

Does DFer mean what I think it does?

Curt.

"Discussion Forum".  Hope that clarifies it for you.  The DFers was coined by our late super friend to many and past AACA President Ron Barnett (Father Ron was his handle) who along with Peter Gariepy championed the creation of the whole of this AACA Website.  They had a real battle to convince the Board back then however were of course successful.

Al is correct.  We originally met for lunch at the old St. George's Restaurant.  It has since been closed, torn down, and office buildings are on the site today.

Regards,

Peter J.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

Curt.

"Discussion Forum".  Hope that clarifies it for you.  The DFers was coined by our late super friend to many and past AACA President Ron Barnett (Father Ron was his handle) who along with Peter Gariepy championed the creation of the whole of this AACA Website.  They had a real battle to convince the Board back then however were of course successful.

Al is correct.  We originally met for lunch at the old St. George's Restaurant.  It has since been closed, torn down, and office buildings are on the site today.

Regards,

Peter J.

Are you going to be able to visit us Peter??

26 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

I would guess that this button was made a decade or so ago. It is showing its age. It might be about time to design and produce a new DFer button.:)

IMG_20170203_211358278.jpg

Now that is a collectors item, Matt.  They were made by a long standing DF'er David Devine (sp) who went by "novaman".  Good guy who would do anything to help someone in need in the AACA.

Peter J.

Yes, I got if from Novaman. The text on the edge indicates that he created the logo in 2004. I think I got mine from him in 2006. I run into David every now and then at AACA events here in NC and usually each year at Hershey but he is apparently not very active on the forum these days.  

4 hours ago, kings32 said:

Can I be a DFer    ?    Sounds like fun !  Always looking for more fun in this crazy world ,...Kinks32  PS see you all in Philly 

You are posting here and willling to acknowlege membership in the group so as far as I understand it, I guess that makes you a DFer. See you in Philly. Be sure to stop by the meeting on Friday at 12:45 on the Ballroom level near the stairs. 

Ha ... LOVE that button!!!!

About that timeframe, I wasn't a member here, but I was on a "few" other boards ... & many times, we'd put together gatherings to meet everyone face-to-face in person ... such a great time.  I sure miss those gatherings, for many reasons......

Cort, www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pig&cowValves.paceMaker * 1979 CC to 2003 MGM + 81mc

"We all have a song that somehow touched our lives" | Kenney Chesney | 'I Go Back'

• 1 year later...
On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:29 PM, MCHinson said:

I would guess that this button was made a decade or so ago. It is showing its age. It might be about time to design and produce a new DFer button.:)

IMG_20170203_211358278.jpg

Change the desktop to a laptop and add an iPhone.

Craig

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 2:35 PM, R W Burgess said:

Curti, you missed a special person in Past President Ron Barnett. Ron and Peter Gariepy put together this web site with help from others. It was quite an undertaking. At times, the web site forums would get a little wild and woolly, so it was decided to open a new forum called "Rants and Raves", so that members could have at it. Have at it, they did. It was so bad at times, that I even deleted one of Past President, Howard Scotland's post. He was not happy at the time. The moderators were very busy editing, giving warnings, deleting posts, and even banning forum members. Needless to say, it was decided to delete that forum to help the AACA promote a good image for the public. I will admit that, again, I miss those days too.  At any rate, it was decided to have a few meeting of minds at Philly, and Ron decided to call us Dfer's (Discussion Forum ..ers) Ok, so he said it with a smile.  A year or so later, we decided to have a meeting of minds at Hershey near the show field. We took pictures each year, but attendance kept dropping, so it ended. David Devine made up some nice DRer Buttons to wear. Matt Hinson and I will wear ours in Philly this year. Sadly both Ron and Howard are no longer with us. I miss them!

On another subject, as I close in on 70 years old, I realize that time is running out on me doing all the stupid stuff that I like to do. I mention this because I recently saw a Facebook post that said, "Don't bring flowers to my funeral, when you could have brought them to me at my home, when I could still smell them!"  Think about it!  Oh, and speak to me at Philly! You never know I might not be there next year! :D 

My Dad liked the DF too. He stirred up the pot along with Howard and Ron. I miss all those guys.  Its a little comforting to still see Howard and Ron's and even Dad's name come up occasionally.

John Binger

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Binger said:

My Dad liked the DF too. He stirred up the pot along with Howard and Ron. I miss all those guys.  Its a little comforting to still see Howard and Ron's and even Dad's name come up occasionally.

John Binger

Hi John,

Your dad Dan, as well as Howard and Ron were true examples of what this club (as well as BBTR) is all about, and I'm proud to have had them all as friends.

Who was the 4th guy in the famous (infamous?) "Hear, See, Speak,------, No Evil" photo with Howard standing and the others sitting on the running board?

My regards to Judy

Thanks for starting this post Wayne.  Bringing up the Old Timers names makes me smile.  I never got involved in AACA politics but Al Edmond was my best friend in Des Moines and introduced me to AACA.  I knew Howard for over 30 years and he was instrumental in helping me acquire Ron Van Geldrens 38 V16 with automatic transmission. When the Glidden was held in Texas a few years ago I emailed Howard inviting him to ride with me.  His response was that he wanted to drive his 41 on one more tour before he died.  Little did I know that he wasn't kidding.  I am 78 and still work on cars six days a week but realize this won't last forever.  Like most of you I am thankful for the many friendships AACA has brought into my life.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Thanks for starting this post Wayne.  Bringing up the Old Timers names makes me smile.  I never got involved in AACA politics but Al Edmond was my best friend in Des Moines and introduced me to AACA.  I knew Howard for over 30 years and he was instrumental in helping me acquire Ron Van Geldrens 38 V16 with automatic transmission. When the Glidden was held in Texas a few years ago I emailed Howard inviting him to ride with me.  His response was that he wanted to drive his 41 on one more tour before he died.  Little did I know that he wasn't kidding.  I am 78 and still work on cars six days a week but realize this won't last forever.  Like most of you I am thankful for the many friendships AACA has brought into my life.

Well-said Bob, and we're proud to have had friends such as you, Howard, Wayne, those whe founded BBTR, etc.

Guest Mark McAlpine

Interesting post, guys--I hadn't heard of the "DFers" before, but definitely like the idea of resurrecting them and chuckled at the stories you related.

Wayne--I understand what you're saying.  None of us know our expiration dates.  Not to be mushy, but we need to treasure those around us and not take for granted that they'll be there tomorrow.  I'm also at that point that I can't keep putting off things expecting that I'll have time to get around to them next year.  (It's part of the reason I'm retiring at the end of this month.)  There's an old Credence Clearwater Revival song--"Someday never comes"--that sort of says it all.  I hope you can make it to this year's ODMA Meet--we didn't get much time to talk in Philadelphia.

On 2/24/2018 at 7:59 PM, padgett said:

Do you need to be 70+ to join ?

Gee Padgett, I thought all AACA members were over 70??? :P

I need to get my mess together and share a couple of stories back when I was younger and trying to fit in with the older establishment! :o

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:23 PM, Marty Roth said:

Hi John,

Your dad Dan, as well as Howard and Ron were true examples of what this club (as well as BBTR) is all about, and I'm proud to have had them all as friends.

Who was the 4th guy in the famous (infamous?) "Hear, See, Speak,------, No Evil" photo with Howard standing and the others sitting on the running board?

My regards to Judy

Yes the Fourth man in the picture was John Rickets. There was a couple versions of that pic. One was taken in Houghton Lake Michigan on a reliability tour in front of Ron's Hudson. I always remember that tour because I met Harold Sharron. I helped him drop the oil pan on the Rickets's 13 Buick looking for a rod knock. I learned a lot that evening. Parking lot repairs at its finest. The second version was taken in front of Bruce's Bar in Severance Colorado with Dad's '14 Buick on one of the First BBTR regional tours held. Bruce's bar is famous for Rocky Mountain Oysters and was always a favorite spot to take visitors.

• Like 1