CAR FOUND: '65 TO '69 CORVAIR MONZA COUPE

Here is a question I have.

I plan to speak with country travler later this evening, but want to hear of your advice and experiences, as well.

This is my first cross country transport experience, getting my newly purchased Corvair transported from Oregon to North Carolina.

Not feeling comfortable with the upcoming journey for the Corvair, but I have evaluated various options, then eliminated other options for various reasons.

Corvair will be coming via a  " 2 level " enclosed trailer.

My immediate concern is crap of whatever kind dripping down from the car above mine.

This Corvair was a display car in a museum, so the current finish is good.

I brought my concern up to the transporter, she asked if there was a car cover WITH the car, which there is not.

Seems to me a car cover would  further absorb whatever fluid was being dropped from above.

The transporter stated they have used plastic covers in the past, but the heat generated within the enclosed trailer would cause the plastic material to adhere to the painted surfaces ...... which could damage the paint, which I obviously don't want to happen.

I believe 4 or 5 smaller vehicles will be on this same trip.

Being that I'm in North Carolina, I would think my car could be the last drop off or close to the last drop off.

Is it feasible or possible for me to request or insist that  the Corvair ride on the upper level ?

If the car can ride on the upper level, are there any drawbacks to the car being in the upper position ?

Sorry for the length here, hope you understand my concern.

Thanks, as always.

Bob.

My corvette came up top on the one and it was covered but it was also winter time.  The cord came bottom level front as ti was a non op.  It was barn fresh type condition but i don't recall any spots anywhere in the dust in it from a car above dripping.  I believe some of the haulers have drip pans on them to prevent this problem.  They don't want to pay for a paint job either.  You could express your concern since it is original paint and the value is in it's originality that any paint damage that needs repair because of negligence will drastically affect the value of the vehicle.  You are correct though about the cover absorbing any leaking fluids.  Now if you have a cover for it,  they could then put their plastic cover over it and that would be a problem solved.  I don't imagine it could hurt at all to express your concerns.  Now because it arrives on the top,  doesn't mean it started their you know?  My Corvette was on top in the back.  I'm sure it didn't get loaded in that exact place as they told me they had to switch trailers because of a problem with the original one it started on. 

From my experience the longer a car has to travel the more likely it will be on top, but its always a game of musical chairs when you are hauling cars with different destinations.  My car was all the way up front from San Fran to KY.  It was actually all alone when it arrived.

10 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

My corvette came up top on the one and it was covered but it was also winter time.  The cord came bottom level front as ti was a non op.  It was barn fresh type condition but i don't recall any spots anywhere in the dust in it from a car above dripping.  I believe some of the haulers have drip pans on them to prevent this problem.  They don't want to pay for a paint job either.  You could express your concern since it is original paint and the value is in it's originality that any paint damage that needs repair because of negligence will drastically affect the value of the vehicle.  You are correct though about the cover absorbing any leaking fluids.  Now if you have a cover for it,  they could then put their plastic cover over it and that would be a problem solved.  I don't imagine it could hurt at all to express your concerns.  Now because it arrives on the top,  doesn't mean it started their you know?  My Corvette was on top in the back.  I'm sure it didn't get loaded in that exact place as they told me they had to switch trailers because of a problem with the original one it started on. 

A car cover was not included with the purchase of the Corvair. 

I did express my concern with the transporter today.

I was "told" the car would be in the upper position, because it was going to travel the farthest.

The transporter also stated they have "diaper type material", placed under the "upper vehicles" to protect the vehicles on the lower level.

10 hours ago, 39BuickEight said:

From my experience the longer a car has to travel the more likely it will be on top, but its always a game of musical chairs when you are hauling cars with different destinations.  My car was all the way up front from San Fran to KY.  It was actually all alone when it arrived.

Yes, I was told the longer the ride, the better the chance to ride above.

As I mentioned,  they don't want a claim either and the driver's have to answer to the boss if they botch something up so if it's a regular firm with a good reputation,  you are probably in good shape. 

I've had 4 cars shipped in. 2 coast to coast and 2 state to state.  The one company is very professional,  Actually the 2 are.  The 3rd,  which I used a broker because it only had to come 4 hours due North (I didn't know about the guy I recommended to you at the time. I figured what would go wrong.  Well that one was the mistake.  The other 2 carriers I would hire in a minute and have recommended them to several people. 

3 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

As I mentioned,  they don't want a claim either and the driver's have to answer to the boss if they botch something up so if it's a regular firm with a good reputation,  you are probably in good shape. 

I've had 4 cars shipped in. 2 coast to coast and 2 state to state.  The one company is very professional,  Actually the 2 are.  The 3rd,  which I used a broker because it only had to come 4 hours due North (I didn't know about the guy I recommended to you at the time. I figured what would go wrong.  Well that one was the mistake.  The other 2 carriers I would hire in a minute and have recommended them to several people. 

A.S., I will give feedback on the transporter, once the trip concludes.  I'm hoping to see the Corvair by the 20th.  A few drop off stops between Oregon and North Carolina are on the schedule.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 6:20 AM, r1lark said:

Bob, did the Corvair make it to NC ok?

Remember, we love pictures.............................:) ;)

Paul, as a matter of fact, the Corvair arrived today, Monday, 7-24.

8 days enroute, 2,700 miles and its here, safe and sound.

The transport cross-county driver is 76 years old, a very humble, but qualified driver named Julian.

Julian kept me informed as the journey continued. The Corvair stayed in its upper deck, front position, throughout the trip.

This evening we took the Corvair for a 30 mile "inspection cruise".

All went well !

100_5304.JPG

100_5310.JPG

100_5311.JPG

100_5315.JPG

100_5317.JPG

100_5319.JPG

100_5323.JPG

• Like 2

Wow, nice looking car! Thanks for posting the pics. (But would like to see the engine too :)) Always thought that the second generation Corvair hardtops were one of the most beautiful designs of the 1960s, and that design has definitely stood the test of time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, r1lark said:

Wow, nice looking car! Thanks for posting the pics. (But would like to see the engine too :)) Always thought that the second generation Corvair hardtops were one of the most beautiful designs of the 1960s, and that design has definitely stood the test of time.

Paul,

I will take some nice engine pics.

We took a 30 mile ride yesterday.

Its a nice handling & steering car, with no rattles or squeaks.

A couple of things on my " to do list", but its a nice Corvair for certain.

Found a portion of the "build sheet" or "broadcast sheet" in the paperwork I received.

Corvair was built on 12-11-1968..

9 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Looks great.   Now you can sleep at night. 

Yes A.S., I cannot tell you if I was "happy" to see the car .......... or "relieved" to see the car, or both.

7 hours ago, JACK M said:

Another plan comes together. Woo Hoo !!

Being that its a "500" base model,  there is no stainless trim on the rocker panels or the wheel openings. No full wheel covers.

Honestly, like A.S. said some time ago, it's a VERY plain  car....... kind of reminds me of "Casper, the friendly ghost" ....... with wheels.

For 48 years old, she is a keeper ...... Casper, or not.  :)

Edited by bobg1951chevy (see edit history)

14 hours ago, r1lark said:

3 Engine Pics.

100_5325.JPG

100_5326.JPG

100_5327.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2017 at 9:20 AM, countrytravler said:

We just impounded this 64 Corvair. 39k miles. This would be a good parts car. We hauled it to the Auction in Sacramento CA. This was a one owner family car. 

https://www.iaai.com/auctions/branchlistingview.aspx?branchcode=331

20171018_110210.jpg

20171018_110223.jpg

20171018_110232.jpg

20171018_110247.jpg

20171018_110308.jpg

20171018_110329.jpg

20171018_110350.jpg

20171018_111330.jpg

20171018_111349.jpg

20171018_111513.jpg

20171018_112250.jpg

I don’t think this would help @bobg1951Chevy. He has a ‘69 and this is an EM. Am I wrong  BOB? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, countrytravler said:

Other people read this post. Was not directed to him only. Thank you.

Dave

Gotcha Dave. Was also trying to bring it to Bob’s attention in case he missed it and he could use it or knows someone. There are some Corvair groups on FB you might want to post it on. :) 

Just now, victorialynn2 said:

Gotcha Dave. Was also trying to bring it to Bob’s attention in case he missed it and he could use it or knows someone. There are some Corvair groups on FB you might want to post it on. :) 

Time is my enemy since I'm on the road hauling cars most of the time. Feel free to share and post.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:56 PM, victorialynn2 said:

Thanks V.L., although this one C.T. posted is an E.M., I am still thinking of going to bucket seats ....... if I decide the current factory pure idea will not work for me.

Edited by bobg1951chevy (see edit history)
  • Like 1