Jump to content

CAR FOUND: '65 TO '69 CORVAIR MONZA COUPE


Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, John348 said:

 

Long after a high price is paid for a job the job is forgotten,,,,,,, sometimes the cheapest price if not most of the time, will give you memories that will last a lifetime, never good ones.

 

If I found a price that cheap I would just move on to one that is line with everyone else, the norm is around 95 cents to $1.25 a mile. You get what you pay for and some times even get less

John, those words are well taken.  Thanks !

Link to post
Share on other sites

John,

Nobody gets nowhere near a 1.00 per mile in a big rig, Enclosed gets close to that. 1 to 3 car haulers will push for that and most of the time will get it. Most of those haulers are running under the radar. 

Vintage transport that advertises on here is legit and a real professional. I was going to use his service but the deal fell through with the customer not buying the car.

Here is a sample of a load (CA to MA) that I did during a bad snow storm going across country. This is a 10 car hauler with only me driving on this trip. I usually run teams. Meaning that there are 2 drivers.

The load paid 9700.00 gross to the truck. 17 days, about a 8-day delay from not driving. I would not drive in bad weather. With team driving and good weather, would complete this trip in 5 to 7 days. We would get from CA to MA in 21/2 days weather permitting with no breakdowns once we were loaded.

The 1st picture is the record of entering and leaving the state. We have to pay taxes on miles traveled in that state. Called IFTA

The 2nd picture is a record of fuel that is bought. We are given credit if we buy enough fuel in that state to offset the taxes running through that state.

The 3rd picture is the load sheet. Check the cost of what the job was paying.

Cars # 2, 5, 7, and 9 cars are the ones that contacted me with my advertising or word of mouth. #7 and 9 were also inops that we get 300.00 to 500.00 more. Oversize also commands more money  The others are brokered cars.  An average 300.00 to 500.00 per car for brokering. Sometimes they get almost as much for brokering a car that we get to transport.

20170619_143936.jpg

20170619_143947.jpg

20170619_144413.jpg

20150901_120759.jpg

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

After many months of hunting, I have made my purchase.

A 1969 Corvair 500 Coupe, 28,000 miles, 2 owners.

Its claim to fame was being on display in the Tacoma, Washington Lemay Auto Museum during a CORSA Convention.

Thanks to each and every person who took the time to offer advice, took the time to find vehicles for sale, took the time to offer support when I was down and out from hunting.

Thanks to each of  you !
Bob.
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 1:29 PM, countrytravler said:

Love it when a plan comes together!! Keep us posted. You sure was a hard sale. And look what you have.

No kidding Dave, I really thought I was being way to picky, began to get a darn guilt complex over the entire issue. Some members here told me to hang in there, for my car would come ...... one day.    At any rate, I think this Corvair will suit our needs, like the documented history, certainly appreciate your searches ..... and your transportation input.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see that you let a few low pitches go by , Bob. That satisfied feeling when you get exactly the right one after being tempted by a few which might have caused regrets is worth the time spent. In the back of the mind of a car hunter is the fear that if you settle for less , the one you really need will pop up shortly after transferring the title. It has been fun riding shotgun with you and the guys offering so generously of their help. You will be smiling 'till your face cramps when you take your favorite cruise route with your almost new '69 Corvair. Congratulations ! While you wait delivery , if you have not yet done so , Google up   Selection of the Right Motor Oli for the Corvair   Read and heed draft 17.  Your engine will thank you , and you will know more about motor oil than 99% of the people who have not read this. I am old and in decline , so with deteriorating concentration, I had to read it twice. I must do so again because I forget important things. Happy , safe , trouble free driving !   - Carl

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bobg1951chevy said:

No kidding Dave, I really thought I was being way to picky, began to get a darn guilt complex over the entire issue. Some members here told me to hang in there, for my car would come ...... one day.    At any rate, I think this Corvair will suit our needs, like the documented history, certainly appreciate your searches ..... and your transportation input.

I bought my first 1963 Corvair in 1967 at the Detroit Auto Auction. I was 15 and we had to push the car through the auction stall.  The shifter had come seperated from the shift tube.  It was a 3 speed manual trans. No body was bidding on it so I ask the dealer that owned the car how much he would take for it. He said 50.00 and I bought it. Loved that car. Then in 69, I got invited to go to Woodstock concert in NY and there was about 8 of us going. My dad had just bought a Greenbrier pass van. He let me borrow it for a week. Told him a couple of friends with camping gear was going camping. I'll leave the rest of the story in Woodstock. 

Good times? 

Cant wait to hear about your car.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, C Carl said:

Glad to see that you let a few low pitches go by , Bob. That satisfied feeling when you get exactly the right one after being tempted by a few which might have caused regrets is worth the time spent. In the back of the mind of a car hunter is the fear that if you settle for less , the one you really need will pop up shortly after transferring the title. It has been fun riding shotgun with you and the guys offering so generously of their help. You will be smiling 'till your face cramps when you take your favorite cruise route with your almost new '69 Corvair. Congratulations ! While you wait delivery , if you have not yet done so , Google up   Selection of the Right Motor Oli for the Corvair   Read and heed draft 17.  Your engine will thank you , and you will know more about motor oil than 99% of the people who have not read this. I am old and in decline , so with deteriorating concentration, I had to read it twice. I must do so again because I forget important things. Happy , safe , trouble free driving !   - Carl

Carl, thank you very much for your comments and your direction to the "oil " site.

If you have enjoyed this ongoing journey with me, as we looked for the "right Corvair", I am pleased.

Again, I  certainly appreciate your comments.

Carl, I wish you only the best.

Bob.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, countrytravler said:

I bought my first 1963 Corvair in 1967 at the Detroit Auto Auction. I was 15 and we had to push the car through the auction stall.  The shifter had come seperated from the shift tube.  It was a 3 speed manual trans. No body was bidding on it so I ask the dealer that owned the car how much he would take for it. He said 50.00 and I bought it. Loved that car. Then in 69, I got invited to go to Woodstock concert in NY and there was about 8 of us going. My dad had just bought a Greenbrier pass van. He let me borrow it for a week. Told him a couple of friends with camping gear was going camping. I'll leave the rest of the story in Woodstock. 

Good times? 

Cant wait to hear about your car.

 

Great story Dave, although I did not attend, the "pics" of Woodstock are forever burned into my memory !

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bobg1951chevy said:

Great story Dave, although I did not attend, the "pics" of Woodstock are forever burned into my memory !

 

And the music  !!!

Jimis Star Spangled banner and Ten Years After 'I'm Going Home" Find that one online if you want to turn it up.

Rock on guys !!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to go off topic here but I just spent a very pleasurable 11 1/2 minutes.

If you cant watch this at full volume you are to old, dead or just don't get it.

This guy can play that guitar !!!!

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Bob ! Yeah , as it inevitably must for all of us , there comes a time when you have bought your last car. I am in the particular set who must do so with a temperature of 98.6. But of course I enjoy the vicarious thrill of the hunt on forum , and sometimes get to hunt for others. Your recent successful efforts really gripped me. Fun ! Thanks for sharing real time ! 

 

Now , it apparently being one of those revealing true confession times : yes , I will be 73 in a few days. Yes. OH yes. I have indeed been to a number of monumental rock concerts/festivals. West Coast functions. Didn't make Woodstock. Didn't make Altamont either. Contemplated it , reluctantly stayed in Seattle , only to be relieved to find out why I was actually lucky not to have gone. (Were any of you at Satsop ? Watermelons ? - or was it corn ? Altamont Lite ? To keep it car related , if you were there did you see my '49 Cad fastback ? The beautiful grey one with the sun visor ? Confessions time again. That Rinelander Orange color vehicle pass you saw on my windshield was a prefect forgery. Cut exactly from : What else ? A Rinelander beer case , that being EXACTLY and conveniently , precisely the same color as the real ones ! Fortunately being a draftsman at one time , I just happened to be carrying a lettering guide and drafting pens in the car ! I scaled a real one , and whipped up an excellent copy !). Remarkable how young and energetic we once were. And we got to enjoy our precious youth in the very best times that ever were or  ever will be again. And unlike so many of our friends , we got to grow old. Long live the Dead.  - Carl  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JACK M said:

I hate to go off topic here but I just spent a very pleasurable 11 1/2 minutes.

If you cant watch this at full volume you are to old, dead or just don't get it.

This guy can play that guitar !!!!

 

 

The stage seemed miles away and half you know what, I can remember Canned Heat, Janis, and Joe. I Need A Little Help-HEHE LOL!!  WE were tripping on this!!

 

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JACK M said:

 

And the music  !!!

Jimis Star Spangled banner and Ten Years After 'I'm Going Home" Find that one online if you want to turn it up.

Rock on guys !!

Alvin Lee was the lead singer back then, passed in 2013 or 2014. Never heard of one group with so many "name changes".

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, C Carl said:

Hi Bob ! Yeah , as it inevitably must for all of us , there comes a time when you have bought your last car. I am in the particular set who must do so with a temperature of 98.6. But of course I enjoy the vicarious thrill of the hunt on forum , and sometimes get to hunt for others. Your recent successful efforts really gripped me. Fun ! Thanks for sharing real time ! 

 

Now , it apparently being one of those revealing true confession times : yes , I will be 73 in a few days. Yes. OH yes. I have indeed been to a number of monumental rock concerts/festivals. West Coast functions. Didn't make Woodstock. Didn't make Altamont either. Contemplated it , reluctantly stayed in Seattle , only to be relieved to find out why I was actually lucky not to have gone. (Were any of you at Satsop ? Watermelons ? - or was it corn ? Altamont Lite ? To keep it car related , if you were there did you see my '49 Cad fastback ? The beautiful grey one with the sun visor ? Confessions time again. That Rinelander Orange color vehicle pass you saw on my windshield was a prefect forgery. Cut exactly from : What else ? A Rinelander beer case , that being EXACTLY and conveniently , precisely the same color as the real ones ! Fortunately being a draftsman at one time , I just happened to be carrying a lettering guide and drafting pens in the car ! I scaled a real one , and whipped up an excellent copy !). Remarkable how young and energetic we once were. And we got to enjoy our precious youth in the very best times that ever were or  ever will be again. And unlike so many of our friends , we got to grow old. Long live the Dead.  - Carl  

"And unlike so many of our friends , we got to grow old. "

Carl, I have put the finest comments you could state into bold type and quotes.

In September I will turn 75, inside my head, I still feel 17.

I grew up in the '50's, the very best of times.

I'm here today with issues, but no complaints, for I'm on the top side of the grass ....... instead of the root side.

We did get to grow old, for that I am so thankful.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 1:47 AM, C Carl said:

Glad to see that you let a few low pitches go by , Bob. That satisfied feeling when you get exactly the right one after being tempted by a few which might have caused regrets is worth the time spent. In the back of the mind of a car hunter is the fear that if you settle for less , the one you really need will pop up shortly after transferring the title. It has been fun riding shotgun with you and the guys offering so generously of their help. You will be smiling 'till your face cramps when you take your favorite cruise route with your almost new '69 Corvair. Congratulations ! While you wait delivery , if you have not yet done so , Google up   Selection of the Right Motor Oli for the Corvair   Read and heed draft 17.  Your engine will thank you , and you will know more about motor oil than 99% of the people who have not read this. I am old and in decline , so with deteriorating concentration, I had to read it twice. I must do so again because I forget important things. Happy , safe , trouble free driving !   - Carl

I have now read draft 17, I'm not certain, but believe "WAR AND PEACE" was shorter in pages.  Thanks Carl !

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bobg1951chevy said:

"And unlike so many of our friends , we got to grow old. "

Carl, I have put the finest comments you could state into bold type and quotes.

In September I will turn 75, inside my head, I still feel 17.

I grew up in the '50's, the very best of times.

I'm here today with issues, but no complaints, for I'm on the top side of the grass ....... instead of the root side.

We did get to grow old, for that I am so thankful.

 

Hey Bob, you did good on that list editorial refining.

 

I had to wait 65 years to be lined up enough, or uncontrolled enough to find then make the last step to where I reside now.  I do know for sure, every bit of the bad stuff needed to happen along the journey....as much,,as the beautiful things in life.  Without that total knowing that it all has to be kept, to make it happen for me.. I am thinking the more equal the mix gives the best chance to know where and how to get there,,,,,and the slowest way is now apparently best.  We were trained since birth! to be faster!... so that is why life rushes by, and then seems so pointless,,>>>,to go faster?, towards the end??  It seems so totally logical to slow down, right??

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, F&J said:

Hey Bob, you did good on that list editorial refining.

 

I had to wait 65 years to be lined up enough, or uncontrolled enough to find then make the last step to where I reside now.  I do know for sure, every bit of the bad stuff needed to happen along the journey....as much,,as the beautiful things in life.  Without that total knowing that it all has to be kept, to make it happen for me.. I am thinking the more equal the mix gives the best chance to know where and how to get there,,,,,and the slowest way is now apparently best.  We were trained since birth! to be faster!... so that is why life rushes by, and then seems so pointless,,>>>,to go faster?, towards the end??  It seems so totally logical to slow down, right??

Very well stated F & J, very well stated !

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

The '69 Corvair 500 I purchased 10 days ago is about to makes its cross country trip, beginning late this week.

Again, I must say "thank you" to all here at AACA who found cars for me to look at  ......

To those of you who contributed in assisting me to maintain what little sanity I still have, I say thank you very much !

 

Some pics  of the Corvair ......  2 owners, 28.000 miles,  with lots of documentation, beginning with the new car window sticker.

DSCN3698.JPG

DSCN3672.JPG

DSCN3682.JPG

DSCN3678.JPG

DSCN3654.JPG

Edited by bobg1951chevy (see edit history)
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kevin1221 said:

WOW.....what a great looking car. That car looks practically new! I'm glad your long search paid off.

 

I love the green interior. It really stands out with the white exterior. 

 

Kevin

Thanks Kevin.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, countrytravler said:

That is a beautiful car. And that is coming from having 5 Corvairs from the past. I would be proud.  What company is hauling it and at what cost? This is for my records. 

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave, I will be happy to give you all your mentioned info, but will do so AFTER the car is in my possession.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Congratulations - hope you and your wife have lots of enjoyment with this gem

Hello Marty,

I  think I last spoke to you via phone when you and your wife were enroute to a car event out west.

You may remember the problems with the NC DMV and my '51 Chevy.

Thanks for the congrats, would like to send you an email or a P.M.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, bobg1951chevy said:

Hello Marty,

I  think I last spoke to you via phone when you and your wife were enroute to a car event out west.

You may remember the problems with the NC DMV and my '51 Chevy.

Thanks for the congrats, would like to send you an email or a P.M.

 

Hi Bob,

 

We are back home for the next week or so before heading out again - this time to the AACA Vintage Tour.

Sure, by all means, PM or email me any time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...