CAR FOUND: '65 TO '69 CORVAIR MONZA COUPE

I'm looking for a "CLEAN", UNMOLESTED, UNDAMAGED, NO RUST 1965 THRU 1969 CORVAIR MONZA COUPE.

Prefer an original owner OR an owner who has a valid paper trail, with documented receipts.

A TURN KEY CAR, NO PROJECTS.

110 H.P. IS  FINE, 140 H.P IS OK, BUT NO TURBOS. 

Must be Powerglide.

Must have a clean title, in the current owners name.

Contact me with pics, mileage and asking price.

Email bobg1951chevy@ellijay.com

Thanks, Bob

Edited by bobg1951chevy
correct wording. (see edit history)

Hey Bob,

I ran a wanted ad in the AACA magazine and had great success searching for a car a few years ago, You never know...... I was searching for a Chevrolet Monza Mirage, which is a pretty rare car, I found a lot of Corvair Monza's in what seemed to be in very nice shape, so they are out there

good luck with your search

1 hour ago, aestorrs said:

Hi- 

Did you check with Marty Roth of the  New Orleans La. area I think he may have one for sale He is on the form some times.,

Al Storrs

Thank you Al, I appreciate the referral -

Yes, Bob and I have been in touch, and have discussed my 1965 Monza convertible.

He seemed to really like the idea of our23,xxx mile No-Rust convertible, 

However Bob and I both understand that, while mine is a 4-speed,

Bob's preference for a PowerGlide would be beneficial for his wife.

My wife's meniscus surgery years ago on her left knee still affects her on some (but not all) of our stick shift cars, 

so I can fully understand their preference.

Part of the reason we are considering selling ours is because a Corvair sits so low to the ground that it is difficult for her to exit - and our Corvette also gives her problems when exiting.

Hopefully Bob will find the right Corvair.

Happy Wife - Happy Life

(don't most of us learn that - even if it takes repeat lessons?) 

Edited by Marty Roth
typos and correction (see edit history)

13 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Yes, Bob and I have been in touch, and have discussed my 1965 Monza convertible.

My wife's meniscus surgery years ago on her left knee still affects her on some (but not all) of our stick shift cars, 

Part of the reason we are considering selling ours is because a Corvair sits so low to the ground that it is difficult for her to exit - and our Corvette also gives her problems when exiting.

Happy Wife - Happy Life

13 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Happy Wife - Happy Life

Thanks Marty, should add that both my wife and myself have had our "clutch knees" replaced.

I need to reconstruct the wording in my ad, stating "must be powerglide".  NOW REWRITTEN.

Edited by bobg1951chevy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I continue to look for the '65 to '69 Monza out there, who is looking for its next caretaker.

A TURN KEY CAR, NO PROJECTS.

110 H.P. IS  FINE, 140 H.P IS OK, BUT NO TURBOS. 

Must be Powerglide.

Must have a clean title, in the current owners name.

Contact me with pics, mileage and asking price.

Email bobg1951chevy@ellijay.com

Thanks, Bob

Just watching as a bystander, why no turbos?

I do see them for sale frequently.  Here are a couple from a local Craig's list search today:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/6019218551.html (auto, convt)

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/5986687450.html (auto, convt)

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5974196366.html (manual, more typical pricing)

Several others - but all manual transmission.

11 hours ago, SparkEE said:

Just watching as a bystander, why no turbos?

I do see them for sale frequently.  Here are a couple from a local Craig's list search today:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/6019218551.html (auto, convt)

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/5986687450.html (auto, convt)

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5974196366.html (manual, more typical pricing)

Several others - but all manual transmission.

Must be a '65 to '69, must have a powerglide tranny.

Why no turbos ? Didn't think a turbo came with powerglide.

Edited by bobg1951chevy
wording (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Still looking for a '65 to '69 Corvair Coupe, in nice condition.

Tough assignment,

The "for sale" ads are not matching the cars attached to those same  ads.

Just drove 520 miles round trip, only to discover the serial number on the title did not match the serial number on the car.

That discovery was after I spoke to the seller .... before my trip, telling me all the numbers matched, between title and car.

Same car .... owner states car has low mileage, but looking at the up and down positions  of the 5 digits on the odometer leads me to believe the car has the mileage shown ........ plus 100,000 miles. 

Sad that some folks are not straight forward, as to the content of their ads, regarding the ACTUAL condition of the vehicle.

Sorry to rattle on ..... just very discouraged.

There must be a AACA member out there who has a nice Monza Coupe for sale.

Help !

• 3 weeks later...

It's hard to find a Corvair with low miles because they are so much fun the drive!:D

Continue the search, it will be worth the wait!

Nothing that meets your requirements has shown up locally. I did sell my friend's 64 convertible I mentioned a few months back. Early and 4 speed, not your desire.;)

9 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

It's hard to find a Corvair with low miles because they are so much fun the drive!:D

Continue the search, it will be worth the wait!

Nothing that meets your requirements has shown up locally. I did sell my friend's 64 convertible I mentioned a few months back. Early and 4 speed, not your desire.;)

I recall the car you are speaking of .... we have traveled 500 plus miles, on round trips, looking at potential vehicles.

We are looking anywhere within reason, but sometimes the reasoning gets fuzzy. 

Went to the Corvair Fair in Helen this past weekend, only one LM was for sale, price was high, quality was not.

Thanks for the encouraging words, Frank. We will continue to beat the bushes !

And there is the Virginia Vair Fair in Lexington, VA  June 2,3,4.

It is a smaller show, although the host hotel has sold out of rooms.

Not always are there cars that meet your description for sale at these shows (rotates around the state by the Virginia club hosting that year), but you never know.;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

And there is the Virginia Vair Fair in Lexington, VA  June 2,3,4.

It is a smaller show, although the host hotel has sold out of rooms.

Not always are there cars that meet your description for sale at these shows (rotates around the state by the Virginia club hosting that year), but you never know.;)

Thanks Frank!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:29 PM, JACK M said:

Portland and Seattle seem to be the two cities that have more Corvairs for sale than anywhere else. Shipping to NC makes those out west purchases almost impossible, being 2500 miles away. Thanks for the thought, certainly appreciated.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:52 AM, auburnseeker said:

There is this one in Hemmings on line. Not very close to you though.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/chevrolet/corvair/1934339.html58887766-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

Actually showed this one to my wife. The color will not be accepted ...... so I continue. Thanks, though.  At this rate, pretty soon I'll be too damn old to drive !

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:56 AM, auburnseeker said:

Here is one a bit closer to you but no mention of stick or auto.  Does say all original for what it's worth.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/chevrolet/corvair/1914489.html

59119580-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

This one has been listed for some time.  I called on this 2 - 3 months ago, asked about the excessive gap between the fender and the door. The front end sheet metal was replaced, due to an accident.  As a result there is the gap and water leaks in the trunk area.

I have a friend that has come to the realization he has way too many cars and was told that he has a Corvair in the lot that he was going to cut loose.  It's suppose to be a nice turn key car he bought off some Corvair fanatic a couple of years ago.  I'll get the details and get back to you if it's something that fits your criteria. 

18 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I have a friend that has come to the realization he has way too many cars and was told that he has a Corvair in the lot that he was going to cut loose.  It's suppose to be a nice turn key car he bought off some Corvair fanatic a couple of years ago.  I'll get the details and get back to you if it's something that fits your criteria. 

Yes sir, I would appreciate any info you could provide to me.

My criteria is '65 to '69 Monza Coupe with P.G. 

NO evening orchid color. 

Condition must be good, price must be reasonable.

Thanks !

20 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

It's good to be patient, and a careful buyer,

scrutinizing cost and quality.  

Your perseverence will be rewarded eventually.

Thanks for the encouraging words, John.

I have both my nice '51's for sale, both are stick.

Truth is, my ongoing search for a nice Corvair Monza has been disappointing, am thinking of converting one of the '51's to automatic.

Problem with that idea is the fact that my wife will still not be able to steer or stop the '51.

I truly would like her to ACTIVELY experience the fun of the "old car hobby" .... while she AND I are still able to do so.

One gent has "some interest" in selling his Monza to me, but he's in no hurry, has other "priorities" on his mind.

So ..... we keep on thinking and trying to make something work.  :-)

24 minutes ago, bobg1951chevy said:

When I mentioned 2,500, I was speaking of miles, not dollars. Fact is though, Portland is 2,700 miles from me.

This is on post #19.

SPARKEE, I have talked to the lady on the red/orange one, it's over 100,000 miles.

I also saw the white one, but I'm looking for the bucket seat Monza.

Thanks, though.

Either one would cost approx. $2,500 to ship, from the west coast to here in NC.

6 hours ago, countrytravler said:

This is on post #19.

SPARKEE, I have talked to the lady on the red/orange one, it's over 100,000 miles.

I also saw the white one, but I'm looking for the bucket seat Monza.

Thanks, though.

Either one would cost approx. $2,500 to ship, from the west coast to here in NC.

I was speaking of post # 29 in my reply to you. See below in bold.

A  $1500  charge for coast to coast transport, or .55 to .60 per loaded mile,  would be something  I've not found anywhere yet.

"Portland and Seattle seem to be the two cities that have more Corvairs for sale than anywhere else. Shipping to NC makes those out west purchases almost impossible, being 2500 miles away. Thanks for the thought, certainly appreciated."

16 minutes ago, bobg1951chevy said:

I was speaking of post # 29 in my reply to you. See below in bold.

A  $1500  charge for coast to coast transport, or .55 to .60 per loaded mile,  would be something  I've not found anywhere yet.

"Portland and Seattle seem to be the two cities that have more Corvairs for sale than anywhere else. Shipping to NC makes those out west purchases almost impossible, being 2500 miles away. Thanks for the thought, certainly appreciated."

I have been hauling cars for 40 plus years until 2011. One of my loads from WA to Maine. I still get cars moved for customers. 

unnamed (1).jpg

17 hours ago, countrytravler said:

I have been hauling cars for 40 plus years until 2011. One of my loads from WA to Maine. I still get cars moved for customers. 

unnamed (1).jpg

"I still get cars moved for customers"

Good to hear.

It is 2,700 miles from Portland, Oregon to Hendersonville, NC.

Please direct me to a connection for a transporter who will charge me .55 to .60 per loaded mile.

I would appreciate your assistance.

Thanks.