Solid 1960 Electra for sale

avgwarhawk

All,

I have been communicating via email with the owner of 1960 Electra.  She looks to be a very solid car located in the Altoon PA area.  I would love to see this Buick go to a BCA member and enjoyed at car shows.      Below is a 3rd party assessment of the Electra.  If you would like to email the owner for more information and pictures PM me.

2499050-1960-buick-electra-225-thumb.jpg

Summary

This looks to be a solid car with numerous small paint chips and scratches. The front bumper has a dent on the right front end and minor scuffing. The brake lights and right back up light are not working. There is a minor hesitation from the transmission when starting out. A slight slip/ This will need further diagnosis. There are leaks from the transmission from the pan gasket, seals and line connections. There is a minor oil leak from the valve covers. During the test drive a minor lane movement is felt that is possibly the steering gear that needs to be adjusted. All rubber bushings show signs of cracking. The left front rubber door seal has a small tear. All glass is good. There is surface rust on the frame. The tires starting to dry rot and crack. There are some small dents in the door chrome on the front doors. There is a dent on the front edge of the left fender. There are various places where there has been paint repair has been done by brush touch up. Poor. The interior is decent with 2 minor places above the heater controls on the dash where the pad is slightly lifted. The left vent window crank will not stay on; clip is present. Some of the wiring and heater controls show signs of wear. Vacuum lines starting to wear and crack. Right front headlight bezel is scratched and dented. Left side of the front seat has 2 small holes; 1 with the spring sticking out. The radio and clock work. There is no Air Conditioning. The radiator has small amount of damage to the core fins ; but, does not leak. This car would make a good driver but needs paint work and repairs to be anything special. See below and pics for more info.

Vehicle Info

Year

Make

buick

Model

Electra 225

Mileage

Transmission

Automatic

VIN Number

7G5013667

Interior

Cloth

Interior Color

Green

Body Color

Green

Engine

V8

Drive Type

Rear Wheel Drive

Fuel Type

Gas

Exterior

Wiper Blades

Winshield Washer

Body Alignment

Scratches

There are small scratches that have been brush touched-up.

Dings

The front door trim has small dings.

Dents

The front of left fender and right end of the front bumper has dents.

Paint Condition

Numerous paint chips and minor scratches; but, overall fair condition.

Body Seals

The left front upper door seal has a small tear.

Rust

Surface rust on the undercarriage; no, rust through evident.

Exterior Lights

The brake lights and right back up light are not working.

Door Mirrors

Bumpers

The front has a dent on the right end and both have scuffs.

Side Moldings

There are small dents on the front door trims.

Frame Damage

Minor miscellaneous areas of surface rust to the underside.

Glass

Body Filler?

Hood

Doors

Floors

Rockers

Quarter Panels

Chrome

Interior

Steering Wheel

Horn

Seat Condition

2 small holes in the left side of the front seat.

Clock

Radio/Navigation

Inner Door Panels

Window Function

Dash

The pad lifting slightly above the heater controls.

Dash Lights

Dash Gauges

Heater

Carpet

Floor Mats

Cigarette Use

Headliner

Blower Motor

Interior Trim

Interior trim shows normal wear consistent with age and mileage.

Inner Trunk

Mechanical

Air Filter

Battery Condition

Charging System

Cooling Fan Condition

Radiator Cap Sealing Properly

Hoses

The hoses are starting to crack.

Radiator

Minor fin damage with no leaks evident.

Engine Coolant

Coolant Leaks

Belts

Power Steering

Steering Fluid

Engine Oil

Engine Fluid Leaks

There is a minor valve cover leak.

Transmission Fluid

Transmission Leaks

There is a slight leak from the line connectors, pan gasket and seals.

Brake System

Brake Fluid Leaks

Differential leaks

Muffler System

Shocks and bushings

Bushings starting to dry rot and crack.

Ball Joints and Tie Rods

There was some play felt in the steering wheel due to worn steering components. More diagnosis necessary.

Road Test

Engine Starting

Engine Performance

Transmission performance

There is a slight hesitation when starting to move. This will need further diagnosis.

Differential Performance

Wheel Bearing Performance

Braking Performance

Suspension Performance

Steering Performance

Vehicle wanders due to loose steering.

Tires/Wheels

Tire Manufacturer

US Royal

Tire Size

8/00/15

Tire Tread

Driver Front

6/32 6/32

Passenger Front

Driver Rear

6/32 6/32

Passenger Rear

Tire Condition

Driver Front

Dry Rot, Flat Spots  Dry Rot, Flat Spots Passenger Front

Driver Rear

Dry Rot, Flat Spots  Dry Rot, Flat Spots Passenger Rear

Wheel Condition

Driver Front

No Issues No Issues

Passenger Front

Driver Rear

No Issues No Issues

Passenger Rear

Spare Tire

Spare tire

Yes

• Like 3

Guest Tri-shield
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:11 PM, Imperial62 said:

I actually love those colors.  That's a nice period combination of greens inside and out. 

Yes - even the pedal pads are color-keyed!

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty close description to my '60 when I bought it. I have done all those little deferred maintenance items that never seem very pressing. Bought it in '03 and spent a hair under $8,000 without any change in cosmetic appearance. Not a bad annual average, but those things do need to be done.

Bernie

After much thought and mulling it over, I'm about 95% sure I will be  purchasing this Buick.  Did not to take too much convincing my wife!      I will see the vehicle in two weeks.  If all goes well, this Buick will be in my barn.

I'll let you know how it pans out.   

• Like 6

They are good, durable cars. With enough fin to get noticed where you go. I have had parking lot attendants at restaurants wave me into front row spots. One thing is interesting. I have never had a car that attracted the attention of mid-50's women the way the '60 Buick does. They are just drawn to it.

And when you get it, drive it like you stole it.

Dust-4.jpg.18114d6b2fcc41cb352dad35350d2c46.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sold.  Will bring her home in a few weeks.   She is a real cream puff.  Runs very well.  Dynaflow appears to work just fine. A lot of torque.  Carb bogs a bit. Over all a honest 1960 original.  She will remain a survivor while in my barn. I'll post additional pictures.  Fella that sold it to me is a very nice gentleman. Looking forward to this seasons car shows. 

• Like 6

16 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

Fella that sold it to me is a very nice gentleman.

Most of the cars I have owned carry the personality of their owner over with them. Experience is the teacher on that thought.

Bernie

Go to your NAPA dealer and pick up an Echlin condenser and see if that helps the little stumble. It is cheap and won't hurt. I strongly recommend that you use only Echlin ignition parts. I think the salt air during the long boat ride affects the other stuff.

Avoid impact wrenches when putting wheels on.

There is a 55 year old brake hose at the front of the torque tube. You may have to fabricate one. It is well worth the $35 mine cost and often overlooked.

Any shake or vibration is abnormal, They drive silky smooth. Beware of the non-serviceable U-joint inside the torque tube. A couple years ago a forum member let one break. It locked up and twisted the spline on the transmission output shaft. Then the transmission and torque tube would not separate for the repair,

I tried to post a picture of my U-joint with no bearings in one cup but the pictures aren't working, All I heard was a tiny low speed squeak, but it was bad. Tolerate nothing but perfection on these cars.

Bernie

025a.jpg

025a.jpg

• 4 years later...
On 2/1/2017 at 9:30 PM, Pete Phillips said:

Somebody is a tough evaluater. My cars would probably rate an "F" with that person! That Electra looks like one very gorgeous car. I would leave it just like it is, if it were mine. Unrestored, low-mileage, 57-year-old Buick. Just the way I like 'em!

I was searching the web and came upon this thread.  Pete, your comment was dead on.  The evaluator was nothing short of tough on the car.   She remains unrestored(the items the evaluator mentioned repaired).  She will be at Hershey this year.