New tailights from Knobsoup

Keith L.

Keith here.

A few weeks ago Tom Overfield called me to ask if I made the ’40-41 Continental taillights. Since I did not, he offered to send me his two (left and right) to make reproductions.  One of his has a slight crack (If you look close you can see it in the first photo).

Many thanks to Tom for the loan of his lenses.

Here are the results.

The first photo shows the acrylic box that will hold the silicone rubber and the original taillight resting on clay. The white and black dots are cheap jewels from Michaels. They are “keys”.   The keys make the top and bottom align properly.  After the silicone rubber is poured in to the box and allowed to set (16 hours)  the acrylic box is turned over and the clay and dots are removed. A layer of thinned Vaseline (paint thinner) is applied. The Vaseline keeps the silicone from bonding to each other.  If I did not apply a barrier of Vaseline the whole enchilada would be one big block of silicone with a taillight trapped inside.  Not good. Next step is pouring the top layer of silicone. Set another 16 hours, then separate.  Remove the original glass taillight .  The end result will be a clam shell mold, top and bottom.  Now rubberband them together and mix up translucent red resin and pour.  Getting the right color, correct resin and making it bubble free is another story for a another time

Now repeat the whole thing for the second taillight.

The second photo shows the molds and the final castings. You can see the “Keys” that keep top and bottom align.

The remaining photos are the reproductions. These reproductions have the same reflective qualities as glass, are non-fading and are cast in transparent UV stable urethane resin in the correct 1940 transparent red.  Many restorers replace their originals with reproductions, especially the ’36 and ’37 lenses that stick out and are easily broken.

My policy is: For the loan of a part to make duplicates, I give you the customer, a copy of the reproduction and return everything (original item and reproduction).  No harm is done to your original.  I keep the mold to make duplicates to sell. That it.

Thanks.

'40 connie taillights6.jpg

'40 connie taillights2.jpg

'40 connie taillights5.jpg

'40 connie taillights4.jpg

'40 connie taillights3.jpg

'40 connie taillights1.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

There are two  different tail lites on 40 and 41 Lincoln's  One is flat the other is the one you have in your ad.  I'll look up the parts numbers tomorrow.  I bought and sold L C's at our upholstery shop in Ohio.  I had 5 41's at one time in our showroom.  Lee

Guest hgbejar

Hi Keith

Frist just going to say. WOW Thankx for doing this greate job and then 

I need a pair of this how do I get them? I just need the left one. But be better to get both so there is no deferece between the original and the new one. please call me when you have a chance. 847. 800 . 5124