Gorgeous Electra 225

PWB

I gave my Daughter the same model to drive to High School when she got her driver's license. It was that green color that Buick called blue and had 58,000 miles on it. She didn't like the car but she wanted the mobility. Her friends loved it.

I bought one of those jump start battery bosters and put it in the trunk and told her jumper cables couldn't be hooked up to her car and use that if a friend wanted a jump. That worked.

Then I took her to a college parking lot after hours and had her park with the front bumper directly above the painted space line. She got pretty good at it and feeling real cool. Then I said "OK, now the back bumper." She knew how long that car was. She confided that she knew it well enough to make her friends scream a few times.

Great car. I sold it to the friend who bought that red '67 Skylark convertible I posted a few days ago. I sent a link for the auction to my Daughter. She leases a Honda in Boston now.

Bernie

32 minutes ago, Pete Phillips said:

Nice car, but way over-priced. Why would you spend $22,000 for a four-door sedan when you can find, without too much trouble, a really nice '66 Electra convertible for the same or less $$$?

That's the second lowest priced car he has on the lot. Better to keep all the cars high priced than strike a discordant note to the high end buyers. Two cheap cars could denigrate the prices of the other 40.

1 hour ago, First Born said:

A least you tried, Bernie.

Tried???  I'd say that he succeeded!  Think of it -- she's actually driving a car that she doesn't own in BOSTON!  Driving that Electra made her fearless!  :o

• Like 1

She had a 1994 Roadmaster when she first moved to Sommerville, like the car Jack Nicholson had in The Departed. Many thanks to Ed Moore http://www.bellinghamautosales.com/

and Ed Moriarty for helping her keep that first car going.

A snow plow plowed her back door and and broke out the window. I called Ed Moore and asked if he could help her out. His reply was "What color do you need?". Ed Moriarty did here DMV inspection. He had a black one just like I was driving at the time.

She claims she can't go anywhere that I don't know someone.

Here is ours.

0011.jpg.836c2d1ea0a1c6a7fcc3ef1b44d71d18.jpg

I always liked the pillared sedan in both the Buick and Cadillac. The more formal roofline looks good. Oh, 1998 price for a clean 50,000 mile one - $1600.

Bernie

Very nice condition throughout, looking at the pictures, and rather well optioned, including a/c which makes it desirable in some climates.

Of note, it has the 'standard' interior, which is still nice, but compared to the higher-end 'deluxe' interior, which would have been a huge step up with nicer appointments, including chrome door pulls, and center armrests.

Craig

A "too high price" can qualify the potential buyer.  These cars are NOT for everybody with money in their pocket.  It would be a shame for it to be sold and immediately taken to "a shop" for a trunk full of sub-woofers and a set of 22" wheels/tires.

In a rational world, they can be great bargains for somebody that can appreciate the car for what it is and was.  As an investment of sorts that needs to be kept "stock" and NICE for asset protection.

As for Boston, aside from the width of the Electra and the width of some streets, that long wheelbase can hinder turning radius on those streets.  One thing to go straight, another to turn a tight corner.  But Boston is not unique in the narrow streets realm of things.  There are some streets, even in Columbus, OH, where I wonder how people drove on them in the pre-import days. 

In some of the newer subdivisions in DFW, which used to be cow pastures, there are some streets that if a dually pickup is driving on, if there's a car parked at one of the curbs, barely pass or "no go" . . . basically, the streets are barely 3 cars wide.  But they do have sidewalks so a little "off-road" action can happen, provided you can miss the mailboxes.

NTX5467.

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2017 at 4:32 PM, Pete Phillips said:

Nice car, but way over-priced. Why would you spend $22,000 for a four-door sedan when you can find, without too much trouble, a really nice '66 Electra convertible for the same or less $$$?

Agreed.  Some dealers price things far above

reality, so much so that their asking prices are irrelevant.

In those cases, I think of the formula:

REALISTIC PRICE = DEALER PRICE / 2.

I've known cars that got sold, and then the 

dealer tries immediately to double the price.

I'm pretty sure that same dealer bought a #3 condition 1936 Lincoln

phaeton for $75,000 (I knew the seller) and wanted $150,000.

I think that does the hobby no good--at whatever price level,

taking cars out of someone's budget and making the 

hobby more expensive.

• Like 1

Some, not all, vehicle "dealers" should be "in the basket" for the prices they advertise some vehicles for.  When they first get the vehicle, the price can be "too high", but after about 60 days and their floorplan note starts to kick in, I suspect the prices can become much more realistic for a VALID potential buyer. 

For some people, having a decent "classic car" is both an investment (especially if they bought it "right") AND a conversation piece.  They've got the money and know their "asset" should only increase in value, if everything works as well.  What percentage of return can be variable, though!

Every time the CD percentage rates go down, the vintage/collectible car market heats up.  Only thing is that now, CDs are not the only investment vehicle that can have good returns on investment.

NTX5467

I have a very clean, nice CarFax, low mile, '94 Chevy Impala SS that showed up at our local Chevy dealership in 2011, in the front row, for something like $11,999 in May or June. It was kind of an "inner city" style car to be out in this little town. I bought it in August '11 for $8500 and have been very happy with the car. That is about a 30% drop from the first fishing trip. They dropped the price on their own just to move it.

I am happy to have a car that don't need a whole bunch of restoration even if it is a little newer. Five years have gone by already with minimal expenses. Twenty years is just a few more flips of the calendar.

The last thing I consider is investment value. The purchase price is the entry fee, period. After that all you do is spend money. If one has 20 grand in discretionary money and the Buick above rings the bell, buy it. Or buy a new, trimmed out Fiat. Neither is an investment, They are liabilities. Don't kid yourself.

Bernie

• Like 2

Yes, I've seen this one advertised many times. It looks really nice but I agree it is overpriced. I sold my '66 LeSabre with 19,000 miles on it for $4500 in 2005, albeit the paint was nowhere near as good as this one. I'd say this one is worth about half of the asking price. My .02 worth.