headlight replacement

I have a 1936 Buick Special coupe and will be converting to 12v system. The headlight cans are in good shape but lenses and inside reflectors are not. I would like to replace with a sealed beam bulb rather than the expense of replacing original. Anyone done this - how well do 7" sealed beam s fit in the bezel - what needs to be done to get to fit. Help appreciated

36threewindow, here is some pictures of my 36 Buick headlights that I modified to seal-beams. What I used is a pair of headlight assemblies, Lucas brand British made for an early 60s MG, that I bought on ebay.  It wasn`t easy, but I was determined to be the winner. I think they turned out about as close to excellent that I could get using my original cans and headlamp doors..  I bought an adapter kit for a 38 Buick thinking I could make them work, but no way they would work on my cans, so gave that kit to my brother who has a 38 coupe.  Took me quite awhile to fit the first one, figuring what and where had to be ground for H-lamp door clearance, the second one went a lot quicker.    Tom

20170202_153621.jpg

20170202_153636.jpg

20170202_153704.jpg

20170202_153921.jpg

20170202_153947.jpg

20170202_153956.jpg

1 hour ago, 36threewindow said:

Thanks Tom, Those look great ! Anything special about the early 60's MG rings or would any 7" ring work knowing what you know now ? Al T.

Al T, actually I had bought the MG assemblies because they were cheap, and put them away for a few years, not even thinking I`d ever use them for converting my Buick cans. It was pure coincidence that they were the perfect diameter to fit the `36 cans(7 3/4"). When I first started on converting mine I tried the 7" headlight assemblies from my `41 Pontiac but were slightly bigger in diameter(8 1/4") than the `36 cans. I keep watching for another MG set because my `35 Pontiac headlight cans are just like the `36 Buick. There may be some 40s headlight assemblies that might be converted to the cans, all I know is the MG Lucas F type can be made to fit.  Tom

• 1 year later...

Pont35cpe, Now that I am finally getting around to the headlights(ya I am getting close to finishing it) can you tell me what brand/model# sealed beam headlight you used. The pictures show a nice rounded lens and all I'm seeing in the stores appear much flatter. Also was the inner black ring part of the 1962 - 1980 MG headlight assembly or was that from something else.

Keeps on lookin better every time I look.

Thanks -36threewindow

I just looked at an old catalog from Classic Auto Parts in OKC

Here is a link to the present headlight catalog page..... http://www.classicautopartsonlinecatalog.com/app.php?BookCode=fv815flx

Sorry, this does not take you directly to the lighting page....type 140 in the square between the arrows and it will take you to page 140 which has a LED conversion, page 144 has the original reflectors (for a Ford)

The present catalog has halogen conversion kits and original replacement reflectors ...they are probably about the same size as our Buicks...they list a 33-34 as 8 1/2 in diameter but do not give the diameter of 35-39 which they also carry.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2018 at 12:58 AM, 36threewindow said:

Pont35cpe, Now that I am finally getting around to the headlights(ya I am getting close to finishing it) can you tell me what brand/model# sealed beam headlight you used. The pictures show a nice rounded lens and all I'm seeing in the stores appear much flatter. Also was the inner black ring part of the 1962 - 1980 MG headlight assembly or was that from something else.

Keeps on lookin better every time I look.

Thanks -36threewindow

Sylvania Halogen H6024     And yes, the ring is part of the MG inner can..