Plymouth whats the type?

marbeton

Hi,

can you help me determine the type and year of production of two plymouth cars? The first one is a sedan with number 1514793 and engine number U211747. The engine is without a water pump. The second has number 1527832, is without an engine and it's probably a convertible coupe without a rumble seat. Did anyhing like that exist?

Thank you for your help

marbeton

Hi,

they are photos from the second car, probably a convertible coupe. Or what body style is it? Does anybody know it or can anybody help me?

Was the U30 type engine with or without a water pump? If the engine number is Uxxxx, does it have to have a water pump? But my engine is without a water pump. Is it possible?

marbeton

Plymouth cabrio 2.jpg

Plymouth cabrio 1 002.jpg

Plymouth cabrio 1 001.jpg

Looks more like a convertible sedan or phaeton rather than a convertible coupe to me. But the windshield seems atypical of an open car and is slanted more than I'd expect for a car of that era. Could the cowl be from one car and the body from another? Hood is definitely not Plymouth.

On 1. 2. 2017 at 9:09 PM, ply33 said:

Looks more like a convertible sedan or phaeton rather than a convertible coupe to me. But the windshield seems atypical of an open car and is slanted more than I'd expect for a car of that era. Could the cowl be from one car and the body from another? Hood is definitely not Plymouth.

Hi,

thanks for your help. I also think the body is somewhat strange. I have no information about Plymouth making body convertible sedans. It's either, as you say, a body from a different car or it could be made on demand. The only think that's odd is that we found a Plymouth data tag among the parts.

Best regards

marbeton

38 minutes ago, hchris said:

Sorry I don't see one single piece on that car that looks remotely like a Plymouth.

Plymouth U motors did not have a water pump but relied on a thermo siphon cooling system.

Thank you, I agree with you about the engine. The body is still a mystery though.

marbeton

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

The front vent on the side of the hood looks so close to the front edge that it makes me wonder if the whole hood wasn't shortened.

It looks like the hood of the Buick 1933, has 5 holes, but certainly not from Plymouth. You're right in that it is probably shortened from six-cylinder or eight-cylinder engines. The whole body is probably from another car and a lot redone. The serial number was in the box with the other parts, and maybe not even belong to this body. It feels like a two-door sedan body type with cutaway roof. But whats type??