Outside Car Cover

DNC

I have a friend who needs a car cover for a car that will be sitting outside.  I have no experience with outside car covers.  Can anyone suggest a quality car cover made for this purpose?  Also it is for a 76 Cadillac Limousine (factory built).  I am guessing there are companies who make them to fit.  Thank you.

It must not be plastic so the humidity changes can escape. Otherwise the car will be wet after a few days and remain so; corrosion will follow. If the cover is on long enough the inside will go mouldy too. i.e. it must breath.

If it is on the paint or any chromed item, expect the paint or chrome to be damaged. The cover will move with thermal changes, wind, possibly on wetting and drying, removal and installation. If there is any dust between the cover and car, the dust will scratch away at the car with these movements. The fabric itself will abraid the car eventually too if it is not something like optical quality non-scratching fabric.

Bottom line, best get it inside! Next best is a moveable garage = pipe frame with tent covering, anchored against wind and strong enough for environmental (e.g. snow) loads in your area.

• Like 1

Spinneyhill:  All my cars are kept indoors, but I remember hearing stories of what you describe; such things as paint blistering.  This guy rents his home.  Getting the car inside is not going to happen.  Are there no covers designed for such a need or would he be better off just to leave the car exposed?  Thank you.

37 minutes ago, DNC said:

Spinneyhill:  All my cars are kept indoors, but I remember hearing stories of what you describe; such things as paint blistering.  This guy rents his home.  Getting the car inside is not going to happen.  Are there no covers designed for such a need or would he be better off just to leave the car exposed?  Thank you.

Yes, companies do make car covers for all sorts of indoor and outdoor needs.

I have purchased a couple Car Covers from California Car Cover Company. They make a quality cover that fits well and are a nice company to do business with. Be advised that their covers are not cheap but when it comes to car covers you get what you pay for. They are made in the USA and are made to order so your friend should keep that in mind and should not expect the cover to be delivered a couple of days after he orders one. If he places an order by phone, I am sure they can give him an idea as to when it would be delivered.

The following link is something you and/or your friend should read to get a better understand the types of covers, what they are made of and how they perform, etc.

How to Select a Car Cover

They have a nice drop down menu on their web site where he can select the year, make, model and trim (ie Limo) and then they will display the price.

There are other companies that make car covers so your friend might want to shop around. I have purchased a couple of covers from this company and I am pleased with their covers and how they do business.

Charlie

I've had good luck with products from COVERCRAFT. They do have several types depending upon type of outdoor/indoor storage, and also have custom fit covers. I currently use them on occasion when on tour for our Corvette, Corvair, '37 Roadmaster, '41 and '54 Cadillacs, and Suburban. There are some cheaper ones in ther discount stores, but you get what you pay for.

Some of the information about the covers reads very well. Hopefully they address many of my concerns.

There are other things your friend should do too. Make sure the car is not on soil or grass but over a damp proof barrier to prevent moisture from underneath. Make sure that surface drains too so water doesn't pond under the car. Make sure the car is clean and dust free on top when the cover is applied. I suppose movement of the cover can be minimised by keeping it in a sheltered place.

This kind of portable garage or shelter should do the trick.

2 things to keep in mind. It MUST be anchored down well if you don't want it blowing away. And the cover will last a lot longer if you put plywood on the frame before putting the cover on.

https://www.wayfair.ca/ShelterLogic-Max-AP-10-Ft.-W-x-20-Ft.-D-Side-Walls-SHG1026.html?source=hotdeals

I was going to suggest something along the lines of a bubble-type car cover:

https://www.carid.com/car-capsule/indoor-bubble-car-cover-144-l-x-72-w-x-60-h-mpn-cc12f.html?view=921584&gclid=CMbPsdKE5NECFUg2gQod2DABtQ

You would still have to be wary of snow loading and moisture build up on the inside.  Interior moisture can be handled to some degree with moisture absorbing compounds like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/16627481?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227009418936&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42967035512&wl4=pla-81459107912&wl5=9010778&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=16627481&wl13=&veh=sem

Edited by kgreen
spelling of course! (see edit history)

This subject was covered below in "Buick - General". I have just revived it for you to bring it closer to the top. The title is : "Looking for a high quality waterproof car cover for the 70 Skylark".  Outside cover must be frequently checked for any moisture , and be promptly dried out if needed. Let's see how Adam is getting on with his new car cover for almost 2 months now.  - Carl 

Thank you to all who replied to my posting.  I had absolutely no knowledge of this subject to share in hopes of helping my friend make a good decision.  You have offered many opinions from different sides of the subject that I am sure will help him in making an informed decision.  On his behalf, thank you.

• Like 1

In a pinch, I used a 30 foot long piece of ag tube of the type used to store tubage, what, when vertical, is called silage. Run the car in and suck out the air with a vacuum cleaner. Seal the ends very tight with heavy duty zip ties.

In my opinion California Car Cover has a great product. You state that the car will be siting outside, so if you want rain protection, you have two choices. First is what they call the Superweave Premium and the other is the Superweave. Both are rated a 10 as far as weather protection. I have the Noah and although it is rated a 9, it is not waterproof. When I am far from home and the weather calls for rain, I first put a clear plastic painters drop cloth over the car and then the Noah cover.

Yes , 'Woodie , layering is the secret. IMHO , those two layers should be deployed in reverse order for a number of good reasons. Either way could be used for very brief periods. Please go down to "Buick - General" , and consult the very thorough "ventilation" (pun ?) of this subject as referenced in my posting earlier here. Irrigation and sunlight are loved by plants , but seldom appreciated  by cars.  - Carl

• 4 months later...