1965 Riviera Gran Sport on eBay

cjp69

I definitely agree that this is a very nice example of a '65 GS. The attention to detail on the car is much better than many I have seen, however, when you look closely there are still some non-original items present. I'm certain the seller is expecting (and will most likely get) big money for the car.

This is certainly a loaded example.  It looks to have almost all the options.  As Mike states, there are a couple very minor items that really don't detract from the value of this car and should be a very easy fix.  I don't think it will sell on the cheap!.  There is another black on black 65 GS in Florida on ebay as well but not a lot of bids yet.

I know numbers aren't always top priority for all but when you are asking this much money, I'd show a nice big pic of the LX stamp. Selling on ebay is not like at the big auctions where buyers can prescreen the car in person. Looks like the Fisher tag has been removed (maybe for the resto). Basing that on the boogered up rivets. Will be fun to watch. Going out on skinny rotted limb and predict the ebay auction won't hit reserve.

Thanks for the extra pics Chimera

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Dealer told me price was $98,900. Agreed, I don't think this auction will make the reserve. He's kicking tires for buyers.

Great car, though. I put in a few bids on eBay but that was thinking it was going to top out at $35-40.

That said, if this about the right value in today's market, then it makes the numbers pencil out better for anyone thinking of doing a frame-off restoration.

Edited by bodayguy (see edit history)

Just talked to one of the salesmen at Fast Lane  a couple of hours ago.  He said the phone has been ringing off the hook on this car - 37 phone calls this morning . He says " it is completely correct in all aspects " and " the best Riviera he has ever seen"( for what that is worth) . He further said that "my boss just put a note in my desk with a standing offer of $100, 000 ! " - Assuming the auction doesn't go past that  amount  ( again for what that's worth!) . Maybe lots of smoke but wouldn't surprise me to see it make that mark if indeed it is as nice as it looks but who would bid a $100K for something they never saw in person . Learned my lesson last year in Phoenix at Goodings when that one went for $121,000. When two people with money want something , price is not an object . In fact , the salesman mentioned the Gooding car as a price s ource for where they priced this car . Hang on Riviera GS owners! 

KReed

ROA 14549

I only glanced at the pics but noticed quite a few things which would bother me on a car priced at the top of the range...

The seat covers are not well sewn and not well installed. The rivets holding the Fisher Body plate on are obviously not the original rivets and not very well installed. That concerns me...there are repro tags out there...is this originally an all black car? It may be the photo but one of the rivets holding the VIN tag on is not "right"....uncomfortable with the body tag, uncomfortable with the VIN tag, not a good start in this price range....many, many other little things for a car in this price range.

A very nice car and I would certainly be proud to drive and own it but when paying up to this degree the car needs to measure up. Maybe a little text associated with the ad might help. Am I missing something?

Tom Mooney

• Like 1

Well for me I think the one thing I would really want to see is the LX code but also the Posi X code on the differential. Someone could put a BS trans and engine dressing. 

Then also match the carb dates with body tag. Carb looks like a numbers matching at least in that it is off a 65. 

Yeah, it would not make sense to offer $100K this early, so likely a selling tactic. If this car went to that Scottsdale Auction, could get up there fast, but eBay and internet, there is much more time for negotiations. AND if someone offered $100K, then the car would be sold. If I offered $100K it would be continent that they take my offer at that time or they would loose the deal. 

Anyway, looks like an excellent dark horse and I hope they get what it is worth and someone gives it a great home. 

Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 6.25.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 6.25.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 6.21.22 PM.png

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)

Little things like the missing emblem on the passeger's door panel, someone's idea of exhaust hangars, and sagging, unclipped trunk cardboard could mean lots of other small items have been overlooked. Well worth an in person look for that kind of money.  It will be interesting to see where the auction goes compared to the "offer on the desk."  LX  proof is also an absolute.

Ed

Reserve is more than I'd be willing (or able) to pay, but this is still a nice car in all respects. High options; only missing the vacuum trunk release and reverb for the radio, if the trim tag is accurate. I actually like the redlines on a black Riv of this vintage. I know what I would do if I had it: DRIVE IT! It may bring a big dollar, but I am guessing 60 grand, tops. Ok, that is my ebay fantasy bid, let's hear some others! :)

The date code on trans tag seems in line with the body build. 

Anyone know if the 24255 vin is about right for the 02D body?  Seems like it is. 

The date code on carb of Sept 63 may indicate a non- born with carb. Though date codes aren't always a tell-all, This would likely be a carb for and early 64. 

Per Toms note of why no text description; I believe this is to protect themselves in providing false or misleading info that can be used against them by unhappy internet buyers. Like pleading the 5th which is probably wise on their part. 

Of the 37 calls I wonder how many  asked for a pic of the LX stamp. Based on other info I'd be surprised if it's not an LX engine but it's perplexing why such an important piece of info has been kept secret thus far. 

7 hours ago, JZRIV said:

The date code on trans tag seems in line with the body build. 

Anyone know if the 24255 vin is about right for the 02D body?  Seems like it is. 

The date code on carb of Sept 63 may indicate a non- born with carb. Though date codes aren't always a tell-all, This would likely be a carb for and early 64. 

Per Toms note of why no text description; I believe this is to protect themselves in providing false or misleading info that can be used against them by unhappy internet buyers. Like pleading the 5th which is probably wise on their part. 

Of the 37 calls I wonder how many  asked for a pic of the LX stamp. Based on other info I'd be surprised if it's not an LX engine but it's perplexing why such an important piece of info has been kept secret thus far. 

My '65, the 1 of 454 LX, has a date code of 02D, so built the same week.

The trans date code on this one is 411 and mine is 404, so pretty close there.

The VIN on mine is 24518, close again.

The body on this one is 32791, mine is 32856, another close number.

I can't read the carb date code in the pics I have of mine, so I can't say if the carb info is off or not?

I agree, with no comments they are trying to protect themselves, but who knows?

22 minutes ago, Rivman said:

My '65, the 1 of 454 LX, has a date code of 02D, so built the same week.

The trans date code on this one is 411 and mine is 404, so pretty close there.

The VIN on mine is 24518, close again.

The body on this one is 32791, mine is 32856, another close number.

I can't read the carb date code in the pics I have of mine, so I can't say if the carb info is off or not?

I agree, with no comments they are trying to protect themselves, but who knows?

Good info Randall! So the Fastlane GS was built 263 cars before yours, possibly even same day. I can never remember but the 1 of 454 LX cars didn't get the BS trans? Or did it? 

• Like 1

Does anyone know if this car is or has been owned by an ROA member?  If so, maybe some of the questions can be answered.  As I stated before, this is a very nice car but if top dollar is being asked, then all the questions/concerns should be answered before plucking down this kind of coin.                                                                          

As Ed stated, the "R" logos are missing from the door panels and the trunk items need attention.  Some clamps are not period correct as well.  What's with the color of the muffler?  These items can all be easily addressed but it will cost a couple of bucks which the new owner shouldn't have to spend based on the asking price.  Either way, I would like to have this car in my garage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JZRIV said:

I can never remember but the 1 of 454 LX cars didn't get the BS trans? Or did it? 

Correct, it does NOT have the BS trans.

It has the BT trans, the one that came standard with the 425. And this one just has what appears to be the standard 425 diff too, with an open rear end. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PWB said:

Did '65 come with an all glossy undercarriage? :huh:

Ha!  This car has a couple of things I don't like: all black and over-restored.

And as for the various numbers: don't assume the seller knows where they are, what they mean, or their significance.  There are plenty of guys in the business who don't know much about what they're selling.  They just have to know enough to reel in a buyer, and that's often a low bar.  Remember, they don't need to convince everyone, just anyone.

Edited by KongaMan (see edit history)

8 hours ago, KongaMan said:

Ha!  This car has a couple of things I don't like: all black and over-restored.

And as for the various numbers: don't assume the seller knows where they are, what they mean, or their significance.  There are plenty of guys in the business who don't know much about what they're selling.  They just have to know enough to reel in a buyer, and that's often a low bar.  Remember, they don't need to convince everyone, just anyone.

A guy who worked for a Ford dealership in Blue Springs, MO said his mantra was "There's an a $$ for every seat."

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 7:46 AM, Pat Curran said:

Does anyone know if this car is or has been owned by an ROA member?  If so, maybe some of the questions can be answered.  As I stated before, this is a very nice car but if top dollar is being asked, then all the questions/concerns should be answered before plucking down this kind of coin.                                                                          

As Ed stated, the "R" logos are missing from the door panels and the trunk items need attention.  Some clamps are not period correct as well.  What's with the color of the muffler?  These items can all be easily addressed but it will cost a couple of bucks which the new owner shouldn't have to spend based on the asking price.  Either way, I would like to have this car in my garage.

That muffler was the basis of another thread here on the Buick forums............

Only the right side door emblem is missing......the left one is there. As for the black muffler,

I painted my muffler black as well because the car looks hideous from the rear with a bright silver muffler

hanging down below the gas tank. when you paint them black you don't see them at all.

• Like 1

Car pulled from auction - either decided to take the standing 100k Offer or something wrong with car . Suspect the former since they didn't want to lose the guy with " 100k " offer when the auction stalled at $45 K - guess we will never know . 

KReed

ROA 14549

Being an ex-Riv owner ('65), and getting a chance to visit Fastlane in St. Charles, Mo. each year, on our way to Florida,

I can tell you that those folks are REAL FOND of their inventory and all their cars, per them, are super rare, and you should thank your lucky stars that they saw fit to go find you a car. This equals the old, "if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it".

In St. Louis down by the airport somewhere, there is another "museum /dealer" that is even MORE PROUD of their cars, but the staff doesn't know as much. Been there once, and don't need to go back.

To me, this black one looks like a nice driver.

I'd like to talk to the guy who installed the rear brake lines. He needs more practice.......

Same is true regarding the underhood wiring.

But stuff like that is for weekend puttering for the new owner..........

An old 1968 pic of Ruth's '65 Riv, with my '60 vet in the garage..........

img149.thumb.jpg.fea97653883ab50a2c4ca909a30b69dc.jpg

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2017 at 1:36 PM, Chimera said:

Well for me I think the one thing I would really want to see is the LX code

where would this LX code stamp be located?

but also the Posi X code on the differential.

where would the Posi X be located?

Someone could put a BS trans and engine dressing. 

Then also match the carb dates with body tag. Carb looks like a numbers matching at least in that it is off a 65. 

how do you check the carb dates?

Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 6.25.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 6.25.35 PM.png

what is this photo below indicating?

thanks again Ed -

I'm still a bit confused.

the identification page shows  that the 425c.i. Production Code uses the format  "LX123"  

is the "123" portion of the code a production sequential number? 

I got this pic from this thread (man, i was close to buying this car back then... duh):

is this the LX Production code that Rich had photographed?

035.JPG

Also....

aside from engine I.D. can anyone help re. transmission, diff and carb Identification

also curious about this last pic - what is it?

Edited by whitewatersky (see edit history)

5 hours ago, whitewatersky said:

thanks again Ed -

the identification page shows  that the 425c.i. Production Code uses the format  "LX123"  

I got this pic from this thread (man, i was close to buying this car back then... duh):

035.JPG

Also....

aside from engine I.D. can anyone help re. transmission, diff and carb Identification

Andrew, The last picture is the carb stamp,

Tom Mooney

8 hours ago, whitewatersky said:

thanks again Ed -

035.JPG

Also....

LX stamping looks correct.  Trans can be id'd by BS stamping on the plate.  Posi can be identified by raising the rear wheels off the ground and turning a wheel.  Engine serial code should match VIN.  I don't know carb numbers off hand.