FedEx Truck Crash I wonder if there was some old car parts on board ?

Mark, since Federal Express ships so many 

different items, I think the chances of there being

car parts on board are very slim.  For that

accident alone, have no fear of shipping your

car parts!

One of our local club members, though, was having

a Packard manifold repaired.  Wanting to be

extra careful about his hard-to-replace part,

he drove many hundreds of miles to deliver it himself.

4 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

One of our local club members, though, was having

a Packard manifold repaired.  Wanting to be

extra careful about his hard-to-replace part,

he drove many hundreds of miles to deliver it himself.

Of course, statistically, that was a HIGHER risk...

• Like 1

We had all the chrome for a very rare 1931 Packard 840 Roadster in a chrome shop that burned to the ground.  The shop owners literally sifted thru the ashes and amazingly found all our parts. Some had to be redone but not one part was lost. I worked for a few years for a major nationwide trucking company. They regularly lost enough pieces each month to fill seven tractor trailers. Many, many items ended up in the "Lost and Astray" pile thru inadequate or poor labeling on the part of the person shipping the item.

If you notice 2 FedEx trucks passed each other on the tracks . I guess if one FedEx driver did something wrong so did the other FedEx driver . Restorer32 there must of been something wrong with the Clerks doing the paper work to have that many missing packages . How long did the company stay in business with that many mistakes ? ?

It was the largest freight company in the country. Now bankrupt and gone. Lost freight had little to do with clerks or  paperwork. Had more to do with the total emphasis on production, as in "Get that truck unloaded as quickly as possible". In my 10 years there while I was starting the resto biz I never once heard anyone in management mention paying attention to such things as "fragile" and "this end up". We used to get trailer loads of TVs, microwaves, etc. Now with a trailer full of TVs it is impossible for the guy unloading the truck to reach the top of the stack so common practice was to simply pull the whole stack down and let it crash to the floor. Never once was I reprimanded for damaging freight but I was reprimanded for taking too long to empty a trailer. I should have said they had seven trailer loads of lost and damaged freight each month, probably about 50/50.

21 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

... Lost freight had little to do with clerks or  paperwork. Had more to do with the total emphasis on production, as in "Get that truck unloaded as quickly as possible". In my 10 years there while I was starting the resto biz I never once heard anyone in management mention paying attention to such things as "fragile" and "this end up". ,,, common practice was to simply pull the whole stack down and let it crash to the floor. Never once was I reprimanded for damaging freight...

That company should have realized the vital

importance of good service.  I'll bet the men

would have been happy to do a careful job

if the management had allowed for taking

care of customers' possessions.

Sorry to say, but I'm GLAD to hear that they are

out of business:  They deserved it.

I agree. The Teamster's Union back then (I left in 1987) was extremely powerful. It was virtually impossible to get fired for anything other than physical assault on management or theft yet the foremen still used the threat of firing to try to force ever greater productivity. Acquaintance of mine cut a foreman's tie off with a scissors and didn't get fired. Says something about the excesses of unions at the time I guess. Deregulation of the trucking industry brought about a lot of changes.

Remember hooking up a computer long long ago and needed some 20 ga wires soldered. Electrician showed up with a 150W soldering iron. Went to car, got a 10W and suggested he use that. Had a grievance filed.

Signal shack on the right, truck parked on side of road near shack, crossing lights come on after the train clears the crossing, my guess is that every missing and damaged package in the FedEx system was in that trailer when it was hit by the train.

It is that time of year.. Slow down..

Police said 70 accidents were reported in a 2½ hour stretch starting about 6:30, although some reports involved vehicles that stalled trying to navigate icy hills.  less than an inch of snow..

In other parts of the state, residents are digging out from over a foot of snow. Among the reports:

* 20 inches, Spencer

* 19.5 inches, Alliance

* 19, inches, Lynch

* 18 inches, Bayard and Newport

* 17 inches, Gross

I think  about two years ago - I-80 had a 47 car pile up.. It took me 5 hour to go 50 miles..

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

I was getting off the highway once and there were three FedEx trailer trucks that rear ended each other at the toll booth.

The axles and fifth wheels were completely sheared off of two of the  trailers.

The towing company was cutting then up with torches for removal on the site as I passed by.

16 minutes ago, CarFreak said:

I've noticed more often than not, its a FedEx truck which is in a wreck, damaged, slid off the road, hits a bridge etc. compared to UPS.

At least the ones that make the news. 

As my mother used to say: "haste makes waste"...

On 1/25/2017 at 6:37 PM, Digger914 said:

Signal shack on the right, truck parked on side of road near shack, crossing lights come on after the train clears the crossing, my guess is that every missing and damaged package in the FedEx system was in that trailer when it was hit by the train.

Actually, Fed Ex has a HUGE warehouse at their Memphis, TN airport complex where all damaged/undeliverable packages are sent.

I found this out years ago when Fed Ex lost a package they were delivering for a company I worked for. When I called them first they told me their system said the package was en route to Great Britain. That made me laugh since the package was coming from New Jersey to Eastern Pennslyvania. The Customer Service Rep asked why I was laughing. I told him that if it got lost Fed Ex was going to have to pay several thousand dollars since the package was insured. I was then told I would have to wait 4 weeks before filing a claim. 4 weeks later I called to file a claim. During that conversation I was told about the warehouse in Memphis and was asked to describe the package so they could look for it. Lucky for them the box had a somewhat unique company logo on it. They called me back the next day to inform me they found the package (the Fed Ex shipping label had come off) and overnighted it that day. Received the package early the next morning and the contents were fine. 

16 hours ago, Curti said:

Did you get a replacement tire from the seller? 

I received a check from UPS,  actually more than I paid.  So it wasn't really a loss for me.  I thought it was strange for a UPS worker wanting a 560x13" tire.