MrEarl

FS on CL - 1954 Roadmaster with AC $1000 obo

5 hours ago, Kosage Chavis said:

So I am just talking casually to my wife and told her about this car.  She smiles at me and says that I should go buy it.:o:huh:  I am still trying to figure out whether she is joking with me or not. Now I am wondering.  How in the world would I even get it home?

It was a trick, you were lucky to stall.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Beemon said:

It was a trick, you were lucky to stall.

LOL!  It did catch me by surprise.  

6 minutes ago, lancemb said:

Damn.  Start watching Ebay for parts...

That's what I'm thinking happened.....   ?

55 minutes ago, Kosage Chavis said:

LOL!  It did catch me by surprise.  

You need to get a rain check on her offer.

11 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

You need to get a rain check on her offer.

I feel ya Mr Lamar.  Trust me, if the car were close to me, I would have jumped on it.  

So is the assumption that he did not sell the car?

The seller said he was approached by a salvage guy who wanted the car for the AC but would not sell it to him to be cut up. I offered the asking price but was told his uncle had decided to keep and restore the car.  So who knows.  

• Like 1

Got you.  Watch it end back up on CL.  Sounds like no one has really made up their minds on what to do with it.

I'm more than willing to bet its been scrapped out. That car has actually popped up a couple random times over the past year on CL same price same deal every time. Give it about 1-2 months and it will be back up for week then down again.

• Like 1

He said he had listed it before at $1700 but decided to lower to $1000 due to title issues. Again, who knows:rolleyes:

19 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

He said he had listed it before at $1700 but decided to lower to $1000 due to title issues. Again, who knows:rolleyes:

Deep breaths, have some coffee....  If it comes online again, someone will pounce.  I, along with many others I'm sure went through similar stress in 2010/2011 at the height of the scrap market. Repairable stuff constantly being scrapped, hell I saw some driven across the scales! ?

And the saga continues. Haven't had this much fun wheeling and dealing in a while, I'll play his game,  it's sort of fun. Here is our text conversation from this morning. 

Seller

Hey I have 6 guy here trying to buy the car to restore it and they say it very rare only 500 we're made this way and only 60 or less that are left . I had no idea a car I posted on Craigslist for 1000.00 was that rare there at 3200 know

MrE

But I'll guarantee you not a one of them would appreciate the car as much as I would. Joe I'm not gonna get into a bidding war for the car. I would love to have the car for the thousand that you were asking but that's it. They are not that rare of a car, just the fact that it is so highly optioned is what intrigued me and made me want it. Do what you think is right, I appreciate your time and was good talking to you, have a good day.?

Seller

I will keep you in the loop because they have no gave me a deposit and my uncle did so if my uncle backs out it yours OK for  the 1000.00 is that fair

MrE

Most certainly, and I appreciate it?

Seller

Your welcome

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Deep breaths, have some coffee....  If it comes online again, someone will pounce.  I, along with many others I'm sure went through similar stress in 2010/2011 at the height of the scrap market. Repairable stuff constantly being scrapped, hell I saw some driven across the scales! ?

I didn't stress, hell I just saved as many as I could. How do you think I got a pasture full of them.

• Like 3

If you need a set of eyes to go check it out let me know its not horribly far from me. I can take a camera along also and get pics of anything you want.

• Like 2

Thanks Ryan, appreciate that. Based on your previous post about it having been listed several times and with what  I am getting back from the seller, gotta wonder if he's not just fishing for the best offer. In fact now that I look back, he did say obo in the craigslist ad.  He's got mine, so we will see. I seriously have no great interest in  physically acquiring the car for myself  as I have too many projects already waiting in line  and that will likely extend past my expiration date,  but would simply love to turn it over to someone with the means to give it a nice restoration. 

• Like 3

Actually, I have had great success in purchasing cars, both nice and parters, on craigslist and really can't think of anytime they turned sour or went downhill.  Fact is I have really enjoyed talking to and meeting some of the folks that I have dealt with, there are certainly some interesting characters in the world. Even in this case  even after figuring out what was going I am keeping my cool and continuing to  maintain a friendly dialogue with the seller.  Again who knows how it will turn out. But nah, it's certainly not my first car rodeo. 

The deal with the Roadmasters in Oklahoma couldn't have turned out better. It went to a friend in CA who had lost his roadmaster in a pretty bad crash.  It was the white one in the pictures above.  Just like with women, the fun is in the chase, and since I can't chase women anymore, well......

• Like 2

I bought both my 1939's thanks to Craigslist, one here in KY and one in CA.  Just use the same rules buying a car anywhere, look at it, communication, title, etc.  Some ads are annoying and some sellers can be frustrating, but that's part of old car shopping in general.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I do CL quite a bit and the biggest thing is some of these guys get and its happened to myself more than once. Get hammered with people wanting more info. It gets hard to weed out the real and fake guys. Sometimes to the point of well I'm just going keep it if its this much of a hassle to sell it. As for the Roadmaster in this add the guy is obviously fishing for the highest offer he can get. For the most part though I have been more than happy dealing with CL. It's what I'm using to look for 1942-48 Buicks right now along with this forum. I've located a 46 I'm trying to save up for.

• Like 1

Has anyone heard any further on this car?  Was hoping I'd see a new "me and my buick" thread on it, but it seems not.