1978 Chrysler Cordoba - the picture of style and taste (of 1978...

• 2 weeks later...

Memories!  Wish we had the one my mother-in-law drove.  It was pristine and kept in immaculate condition.  Unfortunately was traded in for something newer while we were stationed overseas.  I do recall that fine Corinthian leather - and the lean-burn engine, and the classiness of it's lines.   I think the right car has future potential in the collector car world.  We should be seeing them on the showfield soon!

Terry

When I was young and broke my dad found one of these that was super nice with 50k original miles on it for 1500 bucks.  I needed a car so he bought it for me.  I drove it for about a year and it broke down 3 times.  I'll never forget the first time my wife and I ventured out of the house to go to the mall with our first born,she was maybe 2 weeks old.  I didn't want to go to begin with as the idea of walking around a mall with a new born was stressing me out a lot.   PLUS,  I did not trust that car.  It was a driving rain storm, we drove to a mall 45 minutes away.  When I went out to the car to pick up the wife and daughter and I turned the ignition, it clicked, did nothing, then caught and miraculously started.   I sold it the next week for the same 1500 and gave my dad back his money.   Car looked great and was a complete POS.

Edited by alsancle
spelling (see edit history)

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

...I drove it for about a year and it broke down 3 times.  ... Car looked great and was a complete [piece of junk].

Looking at old Consumer Reports, I see that Chrysler products

became very unreliable in the late 1970's.  Too bad, because

some of them were good looking.  Was it just the Lean Burn engine,

with its accompanying rough running and difficulty in starting--

or was there more?

A good looking Cordoba appeared on our AACA regional show field

a few years ago:

1977_Chrysler_Cordoba_1.JPG