2017 Vintage Tour

Bob Giles

Plans are being finalized. Information will be available at the Annual Meeting. Weather looks good.

July 17 to 21 Leaving Wellsboro, stopping in Watkins Glen, Hammondsport, Woolrich, Lock Haven and Williamsport.

Bob Giles 814-266-2780 divco100b@icloud.com

350px-Watkins_Glen_State_Park_pano_6.jpg

images-1.jpeg

20JIM_0018.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, almost. We will spend the 1st, 3rd and last night at the Penn Wells in Wellsboro. 2nd night in Hammondsport and 4th night in Lock Haven.  This keeps the mileage between 60 and 80 miles a day.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Our plans are to arrive at the State Park south entrance beginning after 9:30 AM. Walking the Glen, or going in to Watkins Glen for  boat ride is on the agenda. About half the cars will be at Watkins Glen Raceway by 11:30 for laps. Lunch will be in the Park after 12:30. Afternoon is open to finish what didn't get done in the morning. We leave Watkins Glen in the afternoon for a overnight stay in Hammondsport.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bob Giles said:

About half the cars will be at Watkins Glen Raceway by 11:30 for laps.

I would love to take my GP around the course.  My father turns 85 that week and I'll bet he'd really get a kick out of that (and all of the other cars)!  ;)

We plan to arrive in Wellsboro on Monday, but may get there as early as Sunday. The Penn Wells hotel will offer the same rate for early arrivals.

Trailer parking or unloading is not permitted at the hotel or lodge. There is a designated trailer area a couple of blocks away, as per the email we received yesterday, with a very nice overhead view of the area - (thank you Judy).

WE are really looking forward to driving our 1930 Packard on this Progressive Tour. Lots more polishing to do.....

1930 PACKARD LEFT-FRONT.jpg

01549461d46644e7f887f42f650ef9a018c1515170.jpg

011a35393217a0b42f73e697fbabe61f8d4740efba.jpg

0199bdbde09b4a6f3513083c3af94b78241cbd333d.jpg

017b1bffbf25e126cf0e87f5052b814cc0268c0d2f.jpg

0163047799607e3fa045363dc3008c47452d9e1c7a.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth
typos (see edit history)
  • Like 1

You all will LOVE this tour - this is my 'home area.' I'll be there in spirit.

:)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The weather was perfect today in Watkins Glen.  I picked my father up at his house this morning and drove my '64 GP approximately 100 miles to Watkins Glen State Park.  We arrived about 10:00 am to as beautiful an assembly of early automobiles as one could imagine!  I was frankly amazed by the number of Chryslers on the lawn -- all wonderful!  Add to that a Cord, Rolls Royce, an early Oldsmobile and several Buicks and it was a sight to behold.  The people my father and I spoke with were all justifiably proud and willing to share details of their car's story.  I was really the 'black sheep' in this group, being the only post-war tag-along, but I was welcomed to join the group at Watkins Glen International.  What a hoot to drive the track trailing a pack of cars many (most?) of which were older than my father (who turns 85 this week).

Congratulations to all on your beautiful cars and I hope the rest of your tour is as great as today was.  Thank-you to the "Buzzard's Breath Gang" for a terrific day that my father and I will be talking about for some time!

IMG_0737.JPG

IMG_0739.JPG

IMG_0741.JPG

IMG_0742.JPG

IMG_0743.JPG

IMG_0745.JPG

IMG_0746.JPG

IMG_0750.JPG

IMG_0754.JPG

IMG_0756.JPG

IMG_0760.JPG

IMG_0761.JPG

IMG_0763.JPG

IMG_0766.JPG

• Like 1

Glad it was something simple.  I did check my mileage and the trip was just about 250 miles at 15.5 mpg.  Better than I expected.

Oh, and I really did enjoy (unexpectedly) seeing all of those early Chryslers in the group!  ;)

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Well, the closing BANQUET is shortly and we are getting dressed up for it. I will let Joe of Canada post a few pictures while I catch my breath from the drive back from Williamsport today. Followed Scott and Ellen Deno in their early Caddy all day. He lost his brake light and we lost our tour book, so it worked out great. No one knew when he was stopping and I did not have a clue where I was going. Its been a fun week playing around with friends old and new. I am positive I will not be invited back to Williamsport anytime soon. ?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bob Giles said:

Tom, Sherri, Patti and I want to thank everyone that came on the Tour.  We could not have done it without people wanting to do lt.

Bob Giles

IMG_0818.JPG

I thought the blue car was our Chrysler but now see that it is Dick Taylor's beautiful Buick.

Bev and I had a wonderful time on the Vintage Tour, thanks.  Can someone post a photo of us backing up the hill before Hammondsport?  Bev suggested I fuel up in Watkins Glen but with only twenty miles to run and half a tank of gas I thought I would wait until that night.  Ran out of gas on a long upgrade, then with Bob Giles riding the running board we rolled part way down the hill to a level driveway where the engine started and hundred year old car, hundred year old solution I reversed to the summit, with the fuel tank now above the carburator.  Reminder to self, keep fuel topped up in the mountains.  Thanks everyone for an enjoyable week.  Gary Van Dyken

On 7/23/2017 at 9:50 AM, R W Burgess said:

I understand that some had issues downloading this video. It is rather long for forum use, but it's worth the wait. (took over 3 minutes on my WiFi internet. The live stream video near the top is very interesting too. We had a good music, and very sweet watermelon...FREE watermelon!