1930-31? What was my Dads car

mattg

When I was a kid my father and uncle had this car and I never was able to figure out exactly what year and model it was. I have an old NY Registration from 1964 which says it is a 1931 Buick VIN 2730496 and calls it a Cpe. I am almost positive it was an 8cyl. What throws me but should help to pinpoint what it is are the wood wheel and dual cowl vents.

I was only 5 in 1964 but never forgot the trip we took riding in the rumble seat from Long Island to the Hershey show. Probably can blame my antique car addiction on that!

Thanks for any help

Matt

Buick Reg.jpg

buick.jpg

The books I've checked said 1931 did not have wood wheels. Also I have not been able to find a photo of one with dual cowl vents in front of the windshield (either1930 or 1931). The books I've checked could be wrong and I might not have come across the right picture for the vents.  I'm hoping someone would see this post and say they know exactly what it is or better yet they have the car.

There were wood wheels on certain models through 1932.  The 1931 Buicks had vents on the side, not on the top of the cowl.  I'm not sure what is sitting on top of the cowl in your photo, but it does not look like vents.  1932 had a single cowl vent on the top.

This is definitely not a '32 as the headlights are different, radiator the same.  What series it is not clear but it does not look to large. So likely a 50 series.  The alternate is a 90 series, large car.  There were no convertible coupes, or sports roadsters in the 60 or 80 series cars.  The best a can tell is that the weight listed is 3095 pounds, which matches the Model 56C in the Standard Catalog of Buick.  As the windshield folded forward, my bet is someone fabricated cushions for the glass to rest when the windshield was down. So, I think this mystery is about resolved.

Do you know the date of the photo?.  I must say, even in 1964, that must have been quite an adventure in a 30 year+ old car.  Hope you were not in the rumble seat alone.  The car looks in excellent shape at the time of the photo. 

John

• Like 1

Surely an early 31' as later in the year a single bumper replaced the upper/lower bumpers.   I know for sure it's not a 90series as it's to small.  

Our 31' 96C has dual cowl vents just like those.  

The hood sides on a 31' are louvered and the 32's had vents that could be opened.  

The photo has to be from the early 60's. I was not alone in the rumble seat. I was with 2 of my brothers they would have been 7 and 8 years old. I remember we all squeezed in the foot well when it started raining on the way to Hershey.

I believe it is solved. 1931 series 56C Convertible Coupe . Even found a photo of one with wood wheels on Ebay.

Thanks for your help

Buick 1931.jpg

• Like 2