65 Riveria - need general opinions

Jim Milewski

3 hours ago, Jim Milewski said:

Gentleman - Many thanks with all the info, and yes I can see the "step" difference, it is pronounced when you know what to look for, am going to put new valve stems on so I will be looking at the inner stampings, the only mystery is the register ring - will post dates after I break them down

Jim

Jim,

Register ring is not a mystery. The first rim you pictured is the proper ring. I`m quite sure the others are some sort of sleeve someone installed or someone ground off the return on the factory register rings.

Tom

1 hour ago, Jim Milewski said:

Tom - I checked the inner side of the rim with the tire on and did find numbers - M4 with a 0 under it and numbers 5    15    WD  - do you  know the code info ?

Thanks

Jim

That is strange as the first code you noted is usually found on the part of the rim which is covered by the tire and not on the backside outer edge? M4 over 0 is "made for 1970". I`m not sure about the other characters. I would need to reference some other rims to refresh my memory. Generally, as in this case, it is unnecessary to go beyond the first two date codes which we have already discussed and I am very confident are accurate. The rim is for a 1970,

Tom

Tom - nothing is ever easy, and these rims are driving me crazy - I have 5 other rims, 2" center cap, no reg ring, center hub is higher then the rim (with a straight edge)  with different numbers -M4 5, M4-/3, M4-/4, M4-3, along with symbols on the inner web of 86 over 5, M4over5, - took pics of two of the rims, and the step is different 

Thanks

Jim

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

2 hours ago, Jim Milewski said:

Tom - nothing is ever easy, and these rims are driving me crazy - I have 5 other rims, 2" center cap, no reg ring, center hub is higher then the rim (with a straight edge)  with different numbers -M4 5, M4-/3, M4-/4, M4-3, along with symbols on the inner web of 86 over 5, M4over5, - took pics of two of the rims, and the step is different 

Thanks

Jim

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

LOL...believe me, it took me many years and many cars to work thru the different generations of these wheels and sort out their differences...it was great when several folks published articles which sorted out the differences but by that time I had the characteristics of each generation of the wheels committed to memory via my mistakes/experiences, studying parts books, etc.

The wheels you are now describing are `71 and up because they are a more shallow offset. That is why the center "nose" of the wheel is proud of the edge of the rim. Visualize this by imagining the outer rim being moved INBOARD relative to the hub/lug nut area. These wheels are correct for Boat tail models and later.

I do NOT recommend using these wheels on a pre-`71 car due to fitment issues related to the shallow offset. Besides, the deeper wheels look much better IMO.

Sending you a PM,

Tom

PS These should be "895" rims

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

Tom and other forum members - thank you for all the input about my rims, Tom - yes the later rims do have 895 on the inner side, do not plan to use them for my riv - I think all my questions have been answered, I hope this thread helps others as it has helped me - hope to see all at the Buick Nationals in Wisconson and the Concourse in Lake George 2017 - will be showing my 1923 Buick model 48 opera coupe - spring cant come soon enough

Jim

My Kid's 63 has the gray satin inserts and the Cat head center caps, I wanted to paint the wheels black originally but have grown to appreciate the gray! My Son loves the Wildcat centercaps!

2014-03-31122905_zps05f0de83.jpg

You can't go wrong with the road wheels no matter what color they are on these cars!

Kaber, are the wheels on the 63 from a Wildcat of similar vintage, 63 or 64?

If that is the case, then does the 63 still have the large front hubs with LH/RH threaded studs and corresponding large hub ring on the rear axle hub?

My understanding is that these wheels are an easy bolt on replacement on 63 as opposed to the 65 and up Riviera wheels that require the small hub or a spacer to make them fit.

Curious if anyone can confirm?

Rodney?

The 15 inch rally wheel made its debut in 1964.  It was only available as an option on the Wildcat.  In 64, the wheel did not have a register ring so it did fit over the larger 64 hubs with no adapter. The hubs got smaller in 65 and the rally wheel came with a register ring. In 65, the rally wheel was an option that you could get on the Electra, Wildcat, or Riviera.   

As you can probably imagine, finding actual 64 wheels, especially with that one year, one model center cap still in good shape is going to be an extremely rare circumstance.  I'd think a 64 Wildcat owner looking for a set of these might mortgage his soul for a set.

8 hours ago, RivNut said:

The 15 inch rally wheel made its debut in 1964.  It was only available as an option on the Wildcat.  In 64, the wheel did not have a register ring so it did fit over the larger 64 hubs with no adapter. The hubs got smaller in 65 and the rally wheel came with a register ring. In 65, the rally wheel was an option that you could get on the Electra, Wildcat, or Riviera.   

As you can probably imagine, finding actual 64 wheels, especially with that one year, one model center cap still in good shape is going to be an extremely rare circumstance.  I'd think a 64 Wildcat owner looking for a set of these might mortgage his soul for a set.

Ed,

Just an FYI, the chrome wheel was not available on the Electra models in `65

Tom

4 hours ago, RivNut said:

If you have the Wildcat caps, it might be worth looking into.  The caps are what are really the hard part.  Later wheels can be made to look the part.

Yes, the caps are hard to find in acceptable condition. I had an NOS set which I sold a couple of years ago to a BCA member who still owned his Dad's mint original low mileage `64 Wildcat. A thief stole the caps from his car  while it was parked on the street in front of his house. It was hard to bring myself to sell the caps but if anyone needed an NOS set of caps it was this poor guy. Hard to find caps in acceptable condition, NOS is just about impossible.

Tom