Sign in to follow this  
Jim Milewski

65 Riveria - need general opinions

Ed, perhaps I should cash out my perfect original 64  Wildcat wheels that are on my car if they are as valuable

as you say and get some 65 wheels  to replace them!

DSCN0019.JPG

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

If you have the Wildcat caps, it might be worth looking into.  The caps are what are really the hard part.  Later wheels can be made to look the part.

8 hours ago, RivNut said:

The 15 inch rally wheel made its debut in 1964.  It was only available as an option on the Wildcat.  In 64, the wheel did not have a register ring so it did fit over the larger 64 hubs with no adapter. The hubs got smaller in 65 and the rally wheel came with a register ring. In 65, the rally wheel was an option that you could get on the Electra, Wildcat, or Riviera.   

As you can probably imagine, finding actual 64 wheels, especially with that one year, one model center cap still in good shape is going to be an extremely rare circumstance.  I'd think a 64 Wildcat owner looking for a set of these might mortgage his soul for a set.

Ed,

Just an FYI, the chrome wheel was not available on the Electra models in `65

Tom

4 hours ago, RivNut said:

If you have the Wildcat caps, it might be worth looking into.  The caps are what are really the hard part.  Later wheels can be made to look the part.

Yes, the caps are hard to find in acceptable condition. I had an NOS set which I sold a couple of years ago to a BCA member who still owned his Dad's mint original low mileage `64 Wildcat. A thief stole the caps from his car  while it was parked on the street in front of his house. It was hard to bring myself to sell the caps but if anyone needed an NOS set of caps it was this poor guy. Hard to find caps in acceptable condition, NOS is just about impossible.

Tom

I know a guy here in the local Buick club whose 65 Electra is riding on a set.  Probably lIke the 63 and 64 Rivieras we see at the ROA meetss that have been retrofitted with later wheels. Thanks for setting the record straight.