Indiana State Police mystery make

55fireflite

Greetings,

I have a beautiful photo I purchased on eBay of an Indiana State police car from around 1931-33. I'm trying to identify the make. I'm convinced it's from one of the independents, but searching all my books on and googling various makes on the web I had trouble finding an exact match. There are no badges visible in the photo.

At first I thought it might be an Auburn. It looks similar to a 1933 Auburn, and the Indiana State Police is known to have used Auburns (they had Cord 810s too), but the details in the photo don't quite match. The hood and bumpers look okay, but Auburn grills inserts were slightly recessed, and the center divider bends forward at the top. On the ISP car the grill is more convex with a straight divider. Also Auburn doors were apparently all hinged at the rear in this period, and the ISP has front hinged doors.

I was about to click the submit button on this message but decided to take one more look on Google. I did a search for "1932 Studebaker", and while it's clearly not a Studebaker, I stumbled across a photo of a 1932 Rockne, Studebaker's short-lived sister make. I think I may have found it. Could this be a 1932 Rockne?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Tom

IndianaStatePolice219 (2) (1024x742).jpg

When the Rockne was first introduced for 1932 there were two different models; the smaller 65 (190 cid and 110" wheelbase)  and the larger 75 (205 cid and 114" wheelbase - which are the same as the 1930 Erskine/Studebaker Model 53 and the 1931 Studebaker Model 54). From what I can determine in the Crestline Studebaker book I have it was the larger 75 that had the near vertical front door line and the smaller 65 had the more angled line. Only the smaller car was carried over to 1933 as the Rockne 10 and with few changes. I don't know but I wonder if the 75 used up left over panels from the 1931 cars.

On 1/22/2017 at 4:05 PM, Spinneyhill said:

If you post this in the Studebaker forum, Richard Quinn might come in and tell us more, as well as about the building behind. Suspect South Bend IN?

It is the chapel at Notre Dame in South Bend. The owner of the car at that time Larry Tholen was a graduate.