shifter knob needed

Guest 65ctlss

Guest 65ctlss

Converted my 65 Cutlass (330) into a 4-speed -- using a shifter from a 64 442 (see picture below -- from Detroit Muscle TV program on 442 restoration).

None of the 'universal fit' shifter knobs work -- mechanic says I need a shifter ball with 9/16 inch - 18 thread connectivity.  Any ideas where I can find one of these (black)  -- either a new or used?

20140906_140636.jpg

I don't think that was the answer he was looking for.  :) 

Yes, I do know how nice my former NOS from 1966, Hurst shifter felt like...

If you have tried all of the GM resto places and fail to find one:

Get a black ball without the metal threaded insert.  Drill out to 9/16.  Get the thread-restore kit from Loctite I think, at auto parts store.  It has a "release agent" to paint on the threads of a new 9/16 bolt, then use the epoxy in the kit to form new threads in the drilled out ball.

I'd use a new bolt to form the epoxy threads, rather that using the shifter because I thought those were hollow and it may get stuck.

You could also retap a new thread, but you'd need a starting tap, and a bottoming tap in such a short hole.  Taps are pricey.   That's why thread-restore may be the best idea?

• 9 months later...
Guest 65ctlss

Hi everyone - thanks for the input.  I took awhile - got to my mechanic -- ran the numbers.  Even though I pulled the transmission from a 65 442 -- in Idaho, the numbers indicate this is an aluminum case, Muncie M20 -- from a Corvette.  Which explains why the ball I finally found was for a Corvette shifter.

Does this sound familiar to any of you?    .....in the early 442s, did Olds use transmissions from the Corvette line?

Thanks in advance for any historical info.....

The shifter ball neither knows nor cares what the trans was from.  It only cares about the shifter stick - which was what I suggested back in January in Post #4.  And ALL Muncie transmissions are the same as far as fitment.  The only way to tell a "Corvette" Muncie from any other would be the VIN derivative stamp.  The fact that it might have been installed in a Corvette at one time is irrelevant as far as anything is concerned.  The exterior is identical to that of all other short tail Muncie transmissions (long tail versions were used in the full size cars). ALL Muncie four speed transmissions had aluminum cases.

To repeat, you have a 1964 Muncie SHIFTER. Chevy used a lot of those in a number of applications. Olds, not so much (only for 1964-65). Since the same shift lever with the same lockout and thread was used by Chevy on Corvettes and Impalas and Chevelles, of course a Chevy shift knob would fit - again as suggested back in January.