1940TORPEDO

What cars are these?

Second from left and fourth from left look like two matching 1932 Cadillac sedans. The matching paint jobs make me wonder if they are outfitted for livery service. In the back row there is a 1936 or 1937 Packard starring at the camera. I am guessing this photo was taken at a port in Papua New Guinea. Perhaps Port Moresby?

Comparing the 'Cadillac' at left with the Dodge next to it, I reckon it is not big enough. Maybe a smaller series Buick instead? 

The sedan next to it, half visible, might be a Studebaker from 1928/9.

The 'Packard ' facing camera is more likely a 1935 Chevrolet Master.

On 22/01/2017 at 8:27 AM, Brass is Best said:

I am guessing this photo was taken at a port in Papua New Guinea. Perhaps Port Moresby?

Cars are certainly RHD. But PNG had almost no big horn cattle back then so that is unlikely. In the top left you can see lifeboats on a passenger ship so it is a wharf scene. I don't think that would have happened in PNG in the mid '30s.

New South Wales, Australia had license plates with two letters and three numbers from 1937-1951, white on black with a horizontal diamond between letters and numbers. Sydney, perhaps?

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

On 1/21/2017 at 1:47 PM, nzcarnerd said:

Comparing the 'Cadillac' at left with the Dodge next to it, I reckon it is not big enough. Maybe a smaller series Buick instead? 

The sedan next to it, half visible, might be a Studebaker from 1928/9.

The 'Packard ' facing camera is more likely a 1935 Chevrolet Master.

I`m not sure about the (Packard), but I don`t think its a `35 chevy master either, the `35 master has a center divider in the windshield along with cowel mounted wipers.. And that Rickshaw driver sure has his "freak" going on.. possibly to scare off the evil spirits...

The photo was taken in Durban, South Africa. The registration number starts with ND (Natal, Durban). The fancy dressed rickshaw boys are traditional on the Durban foreshore.