nick8086

Where is the car market heading in 2017.

Restomods and 60s muscle cars seem to be the cars of choice and at times go for crazy prices. My first car was a 67 GTO so I grew up in the muscle car era but now I'm a pre-war fan. I think most of the pre-war cars have been on a slow decline for a while.

Scott

8 hours ago, Akstraw said:

... I'll go out on a limb and say fifties cars have peaked and will begin a downturn. ... 

For a while, I have been thinking that interest in 1950's cars

is declining.  I see that you're pondering the same thing.

And Victoria Lynn (posting #25) perceives it, too.

I'll go farther than you:  It's not that the downtown WILL happen;

I think it's beginning already.  Members of our AACA region appreciate

cars of all eras.  However, when our AACA region has a tour (3 times a year),

it is the 1960's cars that turn out in largest numbers.

And at Hershey, the 1950's cars may possibly be holding steady in number,

but they aren't increasing.  Cars of the 1960's and up are increasing in number.

Today's hobbyist can relate very well to 1960's cars.

I think that decade is currently in its prime of interest.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

To a certain extent I agree, OTOH I still think the hobby is fragmenting as well. Think I am up to Thursday on BJ (record on DVR then 4X). And it is clear that restomods are leading the way in quanity & all are very shiny. My surprise was that a  bagged 3100 is top dollar so far (but still in low six figures). Suspect Friday/Saturday will tell the tale but not there yet.

And on the gripping hand I just do not think the way those in the sky boxes do, trophies are not that important, am much more "hands on".

I think all cars will have a following. My interest in pre war cars will not fade because people like 60's cars. Quality work on the restoration/build is what I like to see. Lots of talent out there, I hope some things start to change in the year 2017.

Didn't we just have a 10 page thread on the car market?

You guys are too hung up on eras.  The issue is not when the car was built but where it fits in the pecking order for that particular era.   The top 1% of the cars from any particular era are doing just fine,  top 10% ok too.  Bottom 50% of almost every market with the exception of brass are in danger of rotting away or being crushed.   All of this is consistent with the decline in basic mechanical aptitude and changes leisure time interests.

• Like 2

Yes and no. alsancle is right in what he has said. But I do not agree with the bottom 50% rotting away. So would a 30-31 Model A coupe be in the bottom 50%? Not much love on the restoration side around here. But hot rod/custom gold. Great cars for young builders to learn on, and look pretty cool in any form on the road. All cars have a place, if born ugly and disfigured they will fall under the torch and cut off wheel.

6 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Yes and no. alsancle is right in what he has said. But I do not agree with the bottom 50% rotting away. So would a 30-31 Model A coupe be in the bottom 50%? Not much love on the restoration side around here. But hot rod/custom gold. Great cars for young builders to learn on, and look pretty cool in any form on the road. All cars have a place, if born ugly and disfigured they will fall under the torch and cut off wheel.

On the vintage tours there is always Model A's but last year on a vintage tour in Bellville there was plenty of T's but no model A's. That was a first, but the next vintage tour we were on they made up for it. I do not think Model A's are depreciating as they seem to be an old time favorite en every crowed. 

31 minutes ago, Joe in Canada said:

On the vintage tours there is always Model A's but last year on a vintage tour in Bellville there was plenty of T's but no model A's. That was a first, but the next vintage tour we were on they made up for it. I do not think Model A's are depreciating as they seem to be an old time favorite en every crowed. 

I hauled a '30 5 window coupe on an open trailer from Texas to Oregon. (2200 miles). I can tell you it got a lot more attention BY FAR then a '70 Bronco. The Bronco sold for more $, but the A was a big attention getter when we stopped. 

The Model A will always have a following because of its simplicity, style and availability of parts. 

I personally love stuff you don't see often,  Peerless, Marmon, Reo, Gardner, Jordan, Sterns, Hupp, etc.  But it is harder for these cars to maintain a following because the parts and knowledge are in shorter supply.  A roadster will always find someone to love it but I wonder about the 4 sedans, etc.

13 minutes ago, alsancle said:

The Model A will always have a following because of its simplicity, style and availability of parts. 

I personally love stuff you don't see often,  Peerless, Marmon, Reo, Gardner, Jordan, Sterns, Hupp, etc.  But it is harder for these cars to maintain a following because the parts and knowledge are in shorter supply.  A roadster will always find someone to love it but I wonder about the 4 sedans, etc.

There is a 1916 REO 6cyl. for sale in for sale forum that has dropped drastically in price with no takers. What is the reason that one is not moving. The guy must have double that in the car. It looks very nice with extensive work done to it. Soft marked?? unpopular model?? unpopular vintage??

I am with you alsanuncle. My list would be in no particular order Marmon, Stutz, Kissel, Auburn etc. Later teens to about 1927 or so. And the more sporting versions rather than sedans, if for no other reason than trying to keep the weight down . Many of these cars will have 2 wheel only brakes and if they are going to be driven every pound counts. Even the 4 wheel brake cars will be marginal in todays traffic if carrying a heavy sedan body.

None of these cars in my possession, and probably not going to be possible for the future. There are very few cars of this type in Western Canada, and my severely devalued Canadian peso makes a U.S. purchase and import all but impossible.  Notice all the Canadian cars on the U.S. market these days. Us Canadians are definitely being priced out of the market { roughly 40% loss in purchasing power over the last 3 years}.

Greg in Canada

I don't care how good the deal is on a car from an era that is a "Walk by" in my opinion, I'll stick with the cars I like. There wiil always be cars I can't afford, but I was very happy years ago when I got to work on some of the finest out there. Bob

If you look hard enough, you can always find a entry level car from any era or category to start in the hobby. HCCA cars can be purchased running and driving for as little as ten thousand dollars. Nickel era cars are all,over the place and fifteen grand will buy a fun turn key car. CCCA Classics can be found for the high teens. Post war cars for less than ten grand are all over the place. Purchasing a starter car has never been more affordable. The cost of repairs, parts, restoration, and  discretionary income are the hard things today. Time is what I see as the biggest  obstacle  for most people, today's lifestyle and family demands leave little time for any hobby, reguardless of the cost. 

• Like 2

After long and exhaustive study over many months I have concluded that the market for antique and classic cars will either go up or go down in 2017.

I like your take Restorer- reminds me of the noted economist who won the nobel prize a few years back, concerning our economy............. he gave the same advice!

makes you want to scratch your head..............................

7 hours ago, edinmass said:

If you look hard enough, you can always find a entry level car from any era or category to start in the hobby. HCCA cars can be purchased running and driving for as little as ten thousand dollars. Nickel era cars are all,over the place and fifteen grand will buy a fun turn key car. CCCA Classics can be found for the high teens. Post war cars for less than ten grand are all over the place. Purchasing a starter car has never been more affordable. The cost of repairs, parts, restoration, and  discretionary income are the hard things today. Time is what I see as the biggest  obstacle  for most people, today's lifestyle and family demands leave little time for any hobby, reguardless of the cost. 

I agree with Ed, and would just add to it the price of garaging a car for those of us near (or in) urban areas.  Around where I live, near a big city, garage spots in private garages are hard to find.  A lot of the garages that come with single family homes are too small to fit a large American car.  The going rate for renting a private garage spot, if you can find one to rent that will fit your car, is probably around $200 a month. A guy near me with a growing collection bought a small property and put as big a garage as the county would let him to store his cars; I think he maxed out at room for 6 cars -- three bays and three lifts -- and the land alone probably cost him $500K (not including the price of building the garage).  When finding or paying for a garage is that difficult, just having the space for a car can be a significant challenge. 

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)

1935 Packard, where do you live that garages

are $200 a month?  Finding affordable storage space

definitely enhances the hobby;  expensive storage impedes it.

Is it possible to rent storage space 30 or 60 minutes

away from your built-up location?  The closer you get

to farm country, the more land is available, and the

larger the storage buildings tend to be.  Members of our

club have arranged with a rural property owner to rent

car spaces for $50 a month, in a well-constructed building

formerly used for horses.  The building fits 20 cars, 

so the owner is getting extra income from a formerly unused

building.  Everyone benefits.

There are people around here that will buy rental properties just because they have a out building or shop. Then they rent out the house and fill the shop with cars. A person would have to do the math if that would work where you live.

When moved to Orlando thutty yar ago it was partly because I needed to be 20 minutes from a world class airport. Now there are too many happy people here and I don't. Anyone ever buy a property with a nice sturdy barn and pour a cement floor ? Doubt that I will find a vacant firehouse.

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

1935 Packard, where do you live that garages

are $200 a month?  Finding affordable storage space

definitely enhances the hobby;  expensive storage impedes it.

Is it possible to rent storage space 30 or 60 minutes

away from your built-up location?  The closer you get

to farm country, the more land is available, and the

larger the storage buildings tend to be.  Members of our

club have arranged with a rural property owner to rent

car spaces for $50 a month, in a well-constructed building

formerly used for horses.  The building fits 20 cars, 

so the owner is getting extra income from a formerly unused

building.  Everyone benefits.

From where I am, you can find relatively cheap storage space 60 or 90 minutes away.  Not 30 minutes, though.  Of course, when the car is 60 or 90 minutes away, it's not all that easy to visit.    It's still possible to luck out and find a good deal and rent a garage for $100 or so a month nearby, but it takes a lot of luck.

Exactly why I went though the agony of permitting and a HOA to build my garages at home. Do not even need to go outside. Most here have swimming pools. I have garages.

If ever I sell think the tag line will be "park both your stretch limos inside tonight".

Those will fit also, heck had a 21 foot RV in there. And another car in front. (had to notch the door for the mirrors).

garageopening.jpg

Ever since I bought my 1926 Franklin in October at the Hershey AACA I've been paranoidally convinced that the market is going down :-(

Roger