1937 Buick Model 48: RESTORATION HAS BEGUN! (Photo)

Gary W

21 hours ago, Gary W said:

IMG_6631.jpeg.a58846c30595f7a6e3e48ed9e2975052.jpeg

Great post, Gary!  I particularly love this photo.  What better way to spend your time than humming along at 55 mph through lovely countryside in your wonderful Buick?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The steering wheel restoration was done by J.B. Donaldson out in Phoenix, AZ.  I worked with a gentleman named Jim.  They're "car people" and they know their craft.  

I was very pleased with the result.  

For reference, it's on page 7 of my blog:

As always, thanks for following and all the continued support.  Love this place!

Gary

Edited by Gary W (see edit history)

On 5/9/2021 at 5:27 PM, Gary W said:

Sunday, May 2, 2021:     "With This Ring........"

A Wedding Story

Today I had the honor of participating in a beautiful wedding ceremony with my Buick.  It turned out to be a beautiful day, and the Buick performed flawlessly.  Oh, the newlyweds looked really nice too!

I won't take a lot of time, but I do want to share a few photos.  It was so nice to get back into a public space, with people, laughing, dancing.....  starting to regain a little normalcy to our lives.

Here's the backstory:

I purchased the Buick from the estate of Mr. Harry Yeager.  Harry and I were friends through our local Vintage Automobile Club of Ocean County.  Harry's daughter, Jen, is a hygienist in my office and has been working with me for 24 years.  

30 years ago, Jen was married in the Buick.  Her dad, Harry, drove her to the venue.

TODAY, Jen's daughter was married in the Buick.  She was so looking forward to being driven in her grandfather's car, and so I was honored to make that happen!  Here are a few photos:

DSC_4978.JPG.226feaf86f5e1db4581f238f2bfc2542.JPG

The Buick just turned 2000 miles on Sunday, April 25, 2021.  

I followed the "2,000 mile maintenance" schedule and topped off the master cylinder, changed the oil, changed the transmission oil, drained and filled the radiator, filled the tank and generally went through the chassis and gave the bolts little "snug".  

Here I am on Wednesday, April 28, 2021 beginning what would turn out to be about 30 hours detailing the car to get it all shined up!  I cleaned everything out from under the fenders, under the running boards, the engine and flywheel pans.  Then started on the white walls, the chrome, ....

DSC_5030.jpg.6892197b37601c8549ef6926280ebba5.jpg

The windows, all the grille bars, and then that black paint, starting from the roof and working down. 

DSC_4998.JPG.97746a00ce96082c9e0944d81243b666.JPG

When all the detailing was done inside and out, I applied this sticker-decal to the glass.

DSC_5039.JPEG.8e1bd7975cbb58f39e89b94c75d54afc.JPEG

Sunday, May 2, 2021:  Wedding Day!  

The day started with a downpour!  By 10:00 it stopped raining and the streets began to dry.  I was dreading getting caught in a storm, but the weather angels smiled, and it was good the rest of the day!

Here I am at noon, ready to play my role as the chauffeur.

IMG_6631.jpeg.a58846c30595f7a6e3e48ed9e2975052.jpeg

I live in Wall Township, NJ.  The wedding was held in Hamilton, NJ.  I basically mapped out a route using all back roads and county roads that paralleled 195.

So, for those of you not from Jersey, I had to traverse the entire state from east to west.  Hamilton is about 4 miles from Pennsylvania.  It was just about 42 miles each way.

This photo is one of the many back roads I travelled.  Most of the trip looked like this.  Not what you think of when you think of Jersey, but we really do have some beautiful areas.

Honestly, I was stressed on the way out.  It was so important to the bride to be there, and I was just praying for a safe, trouble free trip.  The Buick delivered.

DSC_5109.JPEG.50c5aca0746229eb22c7a44f13a09dfd.JPEG

Arrived at the Hamilton Manor right on time, and they took hundreds of photos with the car.

IMG_6669.jpg.13d969cbe4132e45d8397ae9e7b25d54.jpg

Here, the Bride is in the front seat, getting ready for the "first look".....  the first time the groom sees her all dolled up.

I think that is something kinda new at these weddings now.  When I got married, my "first look" was when she was walking up the aisle.

DSC_5080.JPEG.59a773b369b4b3dbced259f7d24b73e6.JPEG

She was a stunning bride, and they've dated since High School.  

264715126_IMG_66242.JPG.7faa7d3430cb35a15f901cb4d75c1e0c.JPG

All in all, a very fun and exciting day!

I was so happy to be able to come through for her.

IMG_6549.jpg.f07578576ce39383f1dd470c9835641d.jpg

Last one!

They finished all their photos and I was back on the road, crossing the state, with a lot less anxiety.  

I actually enjoyed the ride very much!  Then, back to the wedding to attend as a guest!

Very busy day, but all-in-all, very satisfying.

I hope you all are staying safe and healthy out there!

Have a great night.

Gary

Incredible journey my brother... Any Wedding Magazine publisher would pay top dollar for these photos on their cover!

Great job Gary, and congrats to the happy Coupe! ...I mean Couple! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2021 at 8:09 AM, neil morse said:

Great post, Gary!  I particularly love this photo.  What better way to spend your time than humming along at 55 mph through lovely countryside in your wonderful Buick?

I like this picture so much I set it as my lap top background

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, 37 Buick Special said:

Apologies Gary as this a little out of topic but many of you are experienced Buick owners. Does this configuration look correct with this carburetor? Please respond to my email, opusone1945@sonic.net. Thank you!

Dave

Stromberg 1.jpg

Stromberg 2.jpg

Stromberg 3.jpg

yes

• Like 1

Your setup looks correct!  

With the Stromberg Carburetor, all the linkages are on the left side.  All Series used Accelerator Switch # 1607.

1706673132_Buickstarterswitchcarb2.jpeg.e72d8eac38549445a13cb5b3db540c37.jpeg

For the cars like mine that came with the Marvel Carburetor, the linkages are on the right side of the carburetor and used Accelerator Switch # 1594.

Here's the full page from the Service Manual:

1436943534_Buickstarterswitchcarb.jpeg.42df43f2ff61425908c87d537bb7ad53.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Great job Gary,

I am working on a 37 olds F37 which for there is not a lot out there.  It is interesting to see the design changes between the Buicks, Olds and Pontiac bodies of the same year. Thank you for the documentation it has made it so much easier figure out how they bulit them back then.   37s look so good in black!

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Mike!  Thanks for the nice words.  If I can help with any photos, I have a ton of every step along the restoration.

I'm sure you've seen the YouTube video "1937 Oldsmobile", but if you haven't, its worth the watch!  A lot of information and you never know what tidbits you'll pick up.

Good luck with your project!

Gary

• Like 1

Gary W, Gary F,

Thanks guys, thinking I am going to need some help!

Just getting started working on the F37,  mostly finding needed parts.  And yes I have watched that film many times!

A little background on the car.  It was my grandfathers Olds, it has been in the family ever since.  My Mother and her sisters learned to drive in this car.  Sometime in 1949 or early 50s Grandpa bought a 1949 Olds, and dad ended up with the 37.  It was used more or less as a second car until my dad cut the body in half and added a pickup rear cab and a dodge pickup box making it into a truck.  This was common during the war and after as trucks where in short supply.  The back half of the body stayed on the farm, left out in the pasture. It sat on the ground for 20 plus years, before I was able to get it inside thinking someday I would put it back together.  It has the doors and trunk lid, rear fenders with all the trim,  The rear doors lower parts are gone but the rest of them are pretty good. The "olds Pickup"  was last on the road in 1971.  After that it was used as a  truck just around the farm.  Around 1975 it threw a rod so it was just parked.  One might say it was used up, the steering wheel turned 1/2 way around before the wheels would turn.

One might also call me crazy or bit touched in the brain for taking this on but like every one here I enjoy old cars and the challenge.  Also it has a lot of family history.  Will it ever be worth the time and money put into it, most likely not as its a 4 door but it will be pretty sharp in black (original color) with all the stainless trim. 

Part of taking this on was finding a few choice parts to move it forward,  The two parts that were must haves  to start was a fairly good body shell and the grill at  prices that would not break the bank.  Enter a 37 pontiac body stripped but good floors and fixable rockers. but the belt line is different so rear quarter window area and parts of the front firewall and front belt line will have to be swapped in from the old body.  The grill on the "truck" is not good and finding just a 1937 F37 grill without buying a complete car I had just about given up on.  Having anything but an original grill was a show stopper as it is just to much of the unique look of the car in my book,  So one day over on the Hamb a member posted a picture of a F37 grill on the Art and Inspiration asking hambers to quess what it was.  He had bought it years before at a swap meet just because he liked it.  After speaking with him he was willing to sell at a fair price, and was happy to see it going back on a car. Great car guy.  So as of today the only trim pieces missing are two of the four trim strips below the radiator and the olds emblem below grill which might be hard to find but it could be made from pictures and pieces that are left.

Kinda rambled on here,   I have been taking pictures and hope to get a build thread going after retirement in a bit over a year from now.  I know there will be questions that come up esp on body and  interior,  already a few on the list but they can wait unit until then.

Mike

• Like 3

Gary W.  Congratulations on that superb restoration of your 37 Buick. That's probably the nicest one there is. I know its been a while since you installed your firewall pad, but I was wondering where you got it. All I'm finding out there is ones made of black abs. 

Bryan Taylor 37 40c

I bought the firewall insulator from Bobs Automobilia.  The new firewall pad is thinner than the original.  This created a problem using the original firewall insulator fasteners.  So I ended up using a product called "Dynaliner", a half-inch thick self-adhesive, noise reducing insulation pad.  I installed TWO layers of the Dynaliner to make up the one inch difference.  Then installed the new firewall pad.  That extra thickness allowed me to use my original fasteners and helps keep the cabin a little quieter and comfortable.

Check CARS, Inc. in NJ also.  They may have it.  Mine is a brown leatherette grain.  It looks nice and fit well.

Check page 15 of my blog:

Edited by Gary W (see edit history)
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

Gary,

I have a 37 Model 46C in New Jersey not in as rough shape as yours, garage kept with only 31k miles. Would love to restore but time and space are a problem. Do you know of anyone in Northern NJ that could help get the car up and running first, then help move towards cosmetic issues?

Thanks!

Tim Brennan

timb07052@yahoo.com

On 4/13/2022 at 6:47 AM, timb07052 said:

Gary,

I have a 37 Model 46C in New Jersey not in as rough shape as yours, garage kept with only 31k miles. Would love to restore but time and space are a problem. Do you know of anyone in Northern NJ that could help get the car up and running first, then help move towards cosmetic issues?

Thanks!

Tim Brennan

timb07052@yahoo.com

There is Hullco garage in Layton NJ . Very good shop . Been in business many years . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 1/18/2017 at 5:03 PM, Gary W said:

1937 Buick Model "48"  (Two-Door "trunkback" Sedan)

A  Step - By - Step   "Frame - Off"  Restoration  Thread

Wednesday January 11, 2017:

Today is the day the restoration starts.  The Holidays are over, the tree cleaned up and my buddy Mike has graciously offered his vacant garage to store my Model "A" Fords for three months.  This allows the Buick to take most of the garage, and puts me on an aggressive timeline so I'm not paying for monthly storage.  So, with the Fords out of the garage, I parked the Buick perpendicular and began the assessment and started work.  

The Assessment:

IMG_8272.thumb.JPG.97ba7260f5184526273eda6fb0428a08.JPG

Here she sits all ready for restoration.  Although the photo looks like the car is in great shape, I will post some photos of the issues I face:

1.  PAINT

DSC_0666.thumb.JPG.7877b1726ef16ce99ec6855588d98d5c.JPG

All four fenders have chipping, cracking and "alligator" paint.

IMG_8304.thumb.JPG.7e1f67ac354b9391f89cf143d8df62da.JPG

Cowl paint is down to metal

IMG_8300.thumb.JPG.c385e35f6d60ace18fd897867d1ee759.JPG

Trunk lid and rear deck is also worn down to the bare metal and flaking off.

DSC_0664.thumb.JPG.a0ba76f38c704e446f9501c8f6e49645.JPG

The roof paint is badly worn, and there is rust under the window rubber trim.

2. Mechanical Issues:

DSC_0754.thumb.JPG.badbd184c43d208d5612f7fda43b5cab.JPG

All the body mounts, transmission mount and all four motor mounts are hopelessly dry-rotted and petrified.

DSC_0668.thumb.JPG.5f8fdcfb353161de0283f28e6db5afff.JPG

Every inch of wiring from the headlamps right on through the dash to the tail lamps is brittle, crumbling and exposed.

DSC_0760.thumb.JPG.da053aafde831064a6221e2e523e6207.JPG

Left rear leaf spring is cracked and the main leaf is protruding through the tin spring covers.

3. Interior / Upholstery Issues:

IMG_7249.thumb.JPG.4eb6f0a23439a3832a226cdb846094ec.JPG

Steering wheel rim is cracked all around, the plating is worn off.  There is a distinct "clunk" and a heavy spot in the steering gearbox that needs to be addressed.  The rug is worn out and rotted from water leaking in through the cowl gutter.  The wood grain is sprouting rust blossoms.

DSC_0677.thumb.JPG.206df9a80d741a1916542c2ca91e3b82.JPG

The upholstery is torn, stained and completely inhabited by mice.  The smell is overwhelming.  The headliner is also stained from mice living inside it.

So today, Wednesday January 11, 2017 the restoration begins:

DSC_0478.thumb.JPG.3b0dcfcba6fb044071f20062cca2f189.JPG

After the car was situated, I started the restoration by removing the license plates and the Trippe Lamps.  (They were strictly ornamental...never wired)

DSC_0508.thumb.JPG.a1ed7071acd9b0d5c0cb7fcfbcbbd6f0.JPG

Then the bumpers were removed by removing the medallions and the outer bumper bolts

DSC_0493.thumb.JPG.1636dce41cc0061c204878ede52d6234.JPG

I had to use tons of PB Blaster to loosen all the rust and a breaker bar to get the nut to give up!

DSC_0520.thumb.JPG.2517b9503b1d377dcfefc8ef2f377e1f.JPG

Front bumpers off, then under the fenders to remove the bumper support irons from the chassis.

DSC_0528.thumb.JPG.31f31b39ec72a6c893a47e200b23612c.JPG

Once the irons are removed, you can see some more of the chassis.  I photograph everything as I go to make the build go easier.

DSC_0552.thumb.JPG.594093bba6b17eb0914cafde7490ed42.JPG

End of the day.  Front and rear bumpers removed.

I keep a notebook running with every part removed, bag and tag all fasteners and mark parts for location for easier reassembly.

January 13, 2017:

IMG_7257.thumb.JPG.2049b46b31b7b11ffb0489e5367ea7c5.JPG

It took four of us to lift the hood off the car after removing the nut under the dash and the forward nut above the radiator.

DSC_0604.thumb.JPG.816c5b01b9182420f0e47ad1709c573a.JPG

Then removed all the radiator and hood support irons

DSC_0608.thumb.JPG.359692702c1de7f02a460d898e015831.JPG

Then off came the headlamps

DSC_0731.thumb.JPG.b4efc2f495a2c132116dbaf8583b17b4.JPG

Next I removed the running boards entirely by removing the bolts that affix the support irons to the frame and the boards dropped right off into my head.

Saturday January 14, 2017:

I got a few hours in the garage today and got the front disassembled.  I removed the fender lamps, the Front fenders, the lower radiator shield (or wind deflector), the grille halves, the front clip and the horns.  I'm taking stock of parts that need rebuilding or replacing.  I carefully labelled and photographed every step of the way.  All nuts, bolts, washers are tagged and bagged in ziplock bags.  I think I may have to replace some of the 80-year old bolts, as they are quite rusty and brittle.

Here's the end result of today's work:

DSC_0778.jpg

Any idea where to get a sending unit repaired or replaced? 1937 Model 46C...Thanks!

8 hours ago, timb07052 said:

Any idea where to get a sending unit repaired or replaced? 1937 Model 46C...Thanks!

I sent my entire gauge cluster and my sender  to Bob's Speedometer in Howell, MI.   Just be sure to check your sender for a full 0 - 30 - 0 OHMS, and that it the float doesn't bottom out in your tank.

2057209592_ScreenShot2022-07-19at8_49_57PM.png.fe5f281109a2aea6cfd8fb58c3886d35.png

Bob's website

I have  a full write up of how to diagnose your sender unit.  Start here and read along.  you'll get a lot of good information:

• Like 1

Gary,

I just wanted for you to know how much of an inspiration for me your restoration was.  I have always felt that any restoration will never be completely 'finished' as they say.  There will always be little things that will need attention as time goes by.  Photo documentation and plenty of ZipLoc bags are an absolute necessity when a person takes on a project like this.  What you did for the young lady and her wedding is what life is truly all about.

My shop is an absolute mess and in total disarray.  This is the perfect time to get my rollaway cleaned out and re-organized.  It is no secret that I really love the OLD cars, but your '37 really makes my heart skip a beat.  You did good sir - really good.  Barbara and I wish you and yours many happy and fun-filled miles with this Buick.

Terry and Barbara Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Terry!

Thank you so much for the kind words!  

If my blog posts do nothing more than inspire someone else to tackle a project.....  any project, large or small...... then I feel like I've accomplished something good for the car community.

The admiration is mutual.  You have persevered through all your ups and downs, shared every highlight and every heartache.  Through your ceaseless efforts, you now have a classic, beautiful piece of Buick history, but more importantly, a classic, beautiful piece of Wiegand history!  A timepiece to be enjoyed, displayed, driven and passed down through the family.  Time to start making your own memories and create some new stories for the generations to come!  Your dad is smiling today!!

Many safe and happy miles, my friend!  Job well done!

Gary

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Tuesday October 11, 2022:  A Step-By-Step Guid to Rebuild the Delco-Remy 663-Y Distributor:

I spent about a week restoring a Delco-Remy 663-Y Distributor and fully documented the procedure.

I want to have the procedure part of my restoration blog so I'm embedding the link here:

A couple before and after photos to pique your interest:

IMG_6844.jpg.deb8af9540490ae2994047c7285d247a.jpg

IMG_6840.jpg.4f59703eb1c5e59e3610565c1c257647.jpg

Many Thanks to Don, Ben, Larry, Ed who I always reach out to before I post to be sure my information is correct.

Always appreciate you guys!

Gary

Edited by Gary W
spelling error (see edit history)
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
On 6/22/2023 at 12:04 AM, 37 Buick Special said:

Do you have any photos of the exhaust ports on the block with the positioning (not the right word for sure) rings installed prior to manifold installation?

Hi Dave!  I went back and found the photos:

DSC_0635.JPG.d15cbff8318ff40c8935841cbf39b81d.JPG

First I sat the gland rings in the intake ports of the manifold to be sure they fit without binding.

DSC_0639.JPG.f1efa657e331b0f4b23c8fe9c13b80a4.JPG

Once tapped in, I measured the amount of metal proud of the casting and the gap.  I just didn't want any surprises when I installed the manifold.

DSC_0640.JPG.94a4f6985d61a51be60b496fb906421c.JPG

Then over to the block, I installed all four gland rings, and remeasured gaps and the height of each ring.  Everything was good here.

I did not want the height of the ring to prevent proper manifold seating.  

DSC_0643.JPG.6d94d6bcc16e57a9eb45b1e51796db5f.JPG

I used this on the exhaust ports only.  First a light smear around the ports on the block....

DSC_0644.JPG.aa9cd623b05b0d9d61b47b5e86ff6692.JPG

Then I sat the gasket over the studs, over the gland rings and the gasket maker tacked it into position.

DSC_0647.JPG.4aec18e484b6633a65cd83b192b14c99.JPG

Again, a smear around the exhaust ports of the manifold assembly.  

DSC_0662.JPG.cc87cb257883bc5015915a1d671356c8.JPG

Heave it up and bolt it in position.

Hope the photos help!  Have a great day!

Gary

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, dibarlaw said:

Yes Gary when I did mine it was exactly as you had done. Except... now try it with the engine in the car and leaning over the fender!

While still not easy, with the engine in the car, it is really a lot easier to climb over the sidemount and sit on the fender to do that job.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gary:

Out of interest, how are those copper-sheathed gaskets holding up for you? Any movement/noticeable discolouration since installation and driving the car? 

32 minutes ago, JBP said:

how are those copper-sheathed gaskets holding up for you

I just went out in the garage and snapped this photo with my iPhone:

IMG_3443.jpg.0186ab425ae75acd63e4b5953d999764.jpg

The manifolds have been on the car for over six years now, I'm quickly approaching 3,000 miles on the car and so far no issues at all.  

You can still see the small bead of the high temp gasket maker around the exhaust ports and  the gasket still has its shiny copper look.  

So far so good!   

• Like 6