Old Car Festival in Michigan

Terry Bond

Roger, You should attend the OCF and please do not be put off by comments.  It is a wonderful venue for driving old cars.  Though the many changes have many scratching our heads as to the possible concept behind them.  I am sure the park will be memorable.  Please go, the OCF has always been my wifes favourite car activity.  Bring your new Franklin and enjoy.  Gary

Edited by cxgvd
spelling (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, cxgvd said:

Roger, You should attend the OCF and please do not be put off by comments.  It is a wonderful venue for driving old cars.  Though the many changes have many scratching our heads as to the possible concept behind them.  I am sure the park will be memorable.  Please go, the OCF has always been my wifes favourite car activity.  Bring your new Franklin and enjoy.  Gary

But at least as I read the letter I won't be considered for attendance because I'm not a previous attendee?

I'd love for that to be wrong, and I can pay my $50 and drive my Franklin around Greenfield Village for a couple of days.

But the idea of paying $50 for a likelihood of no chance of being accepted isn't so exciting.

Roger

Roger; The Festival committee has had the "past attendees only" in place last year and yet I met many who were there for the first time.  It seems another group had a tour following the OCF and many took the opportunity to go to both events.  I recall seeing licence plates from far away as Kansas.  I would think your odds at getting accepted, with a Franklin, is excellent.  To be fair to the Henry Ford, they likely have a viable plan which is obscured to us mere mortals.  Gary

On 1/19/2017 at 1:00 AM, nick8086 said:

Is this the same club? 

http://www.eyesondesign.org/carshow/

No, The Old Car Festival is sponsored by "The Henry Ford" which as of this week is now "The Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation". "Eyes on Design" is sponsored by the Detroit Institute of  ophthalmology. That show is held at the Edsel and Elinor Ford home, which may be where the confusion comes in. 

Edited by mrpushbutton (see edit history)

1 hour ago, theKiwi said:

Well come 1 June I will be making my application, and hoping for the best.

Maybe I'll see you there then. :-)

Roger,

To my knowledge, last year was the first year that only previous participants could register.  Reading the body of the letter (and not just the cover letter which is addressed to previous participants), it says that registration will be open to the public that meet the criteria.  If for some reason you cannot apply, PM me and I'll forward you an email contact from the Program Registration Office that still controls the process of who is approved.  That is how I was able to participate for the first time last year.  I agree with Gary, your Franklin should be accepted no problem (unless there is significant modifications that don't meet the criteria).  There were very few air-cooled cars there last year, so having you there would be a great add.  Not sure I'll get accepted again, but I'll try and see what happens.  If not, I'll come as a participant.

Scott

• Like 1

On 25/01/2017 at 4:52 PM, Stude Light said:

Roger,

To my knowledge, last year was the first year that only previous participants could register.  Reading the body of the letter (and not just the cover letter which is addressed to previous participants), it says that registration will be open to the public that meet the criteria.  If for some reason you cannot apply, PM me and I'll forward you an email contact from the Program Registration Office that still controls the process of who is approved.  That is how I was able to participate for the first time last year.  I agree with Gary, your Franklin should be accepted no problem (unless there is significant modifications that don't meet the criteria).  There were very few air-cooled cars there last year, so having you there would be a great add.  Not sure I'll get accepted again, but I'll try and see what happens.  If not, I'll come as a participant.

Scott

Thanks for the encouragement - I'll certainly be making an application.

The Franklin is pretty much standard - except right now it has a rubber fuel line coming out the bottom of the tank and an electric fuel pump - a far from satisfactory situation, so I have the fuel tank out of it now to clean that out, and have the vacuum tank (luckily I got that with, but separate from, the car) apart to clean that out and get it working again. The original steel fuel line is in place still, and hopefully intact, so I hope to get the fuel system all back to the way it was.

Roger

FYI:  I spoke with Sarah Gaynier at The Henry Ford on Thursday and we had a nice talk regarding the changes.  They are aware that people are upset about the changes, but I got the sense that they are not aware of the depth of how people are upset, nor what appears to be a partial exodus from the events.  I am waiting for a response on one more item from her and, hopefully, will have more information on Monday.  I will post something then.

• Like 2

Marty,

Thank you for reaching out. My acceptance of the situation doesn't do anything for the membership as a whole so I applaud your efforts to help the THF understand the concerns in the community and, hopefully, bring about some improvements to their plan. If not, maybe help shed some light on the "whys" of the changes.

Scott

Here is the press release where the name of the museum was changed.  

https://www.thehenryford.org/about/press-room/press-releases/new-name-reflects-henry-ford-museums-commitment-to-inspire-tomorrows-leaders-today/

It includes the name of the president of the organization.  Write a letter to her and explain your position if you want to possibly be an agent for change.

• Like 1

Marty (aka 1925 Gray) posted this in the MTFCA Forum today.  He has been in contact with THF and this is the latest development. Link to posting below: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/720291.html?1485885352

"Based on my conversations, it is clear that you should write constructive letters about your concerns staying positive and polite. This is probably the best bet for getting our voice heard. Outline specific concerns and perhaps suggestions on how to address our concerns would be best. I am URGING, that letters be written. But, if at all possible, NOT INDIVIDUAL LETTERS unless you are not affiliated with a club, then an individual letter would be necessary. It was agreed, that answers to the questions should come from the organizations.

THF may use it’s website to address the concerns and questions.

The mailing address is:
The Henry Ford
Program Production
Registration Office
P.O. Box 1970
Dearborn, MI 48121

The email address is:
participantinfo@thehenryford.org

I hope this helps us, the shows and, THF."

This would beg the question then if the AACA would submit a letter representing the member's interests...perhaps based on the comments in this thread?  There was a lot more discussion on this in the MTFCA Forum with OCF and MM Changes Part 3 having the best questions to be asked/answered posted there (Link: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/717141.html?1485321205).  Thanks Marty.

Scott

I'm such a dope. I thought I posted this last evening but I must have written it and then didn't hit post. Sorry. 

Based on my conversations, it is clear that you should write constructive letters about your concerns staying positive and polite. This is probably the best bet for getting our voice heard. Outline specific concerns and perhaps suggestions on how to address our concerns would be best. I am URGING, that letters be written. But, if at all possible, NOT INDIVIDUAL LETTERS unless you are not affiliated with a club, then an individual letter would be necessary. It was agreed, that answers to the questions should come from the organizations. 

THF may use it’s website to address the concerns and questions. 

The mailing address is: 

The Henry Ford 
Program Production 
Registration Office 
P.O. Box 1970 
Dearborn, MI 48121 

The email address is: 

participantinfo@thehenryford.org 

I hope this helps us, the shows and, THF.

Guest 22Coupe

Marty,

Yes, I did take it to heart and have written up an individual letter. Just waiting to get my family members to sign it before sending it off. 

Kind regards,

Gary

Gary,  although I agree with you, hoping won't make it.  Collectors have got to take ACTION if we are going to get anywhere.

My chapter is in the process of drafting a letter for all interested members to sign and send.

Others need to do the same.

Guest 22Coupe

Marty, 

I most certainly agree with you and the strength in numbers. My free time/vacation time is limited as I am not retired yet so, I do not belong to any chapters which is why I had to do the individual letter. Unfortunately, i do not know anyone in my area as well that has the same passion for this hobby. I can't help but think that this year's OCF may have to be sacrificed for the "powers that be" to see the errors in their ways? If enough collectors don't join in with signatures. 

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Of interest:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/726163.html?1487248606

A friend of mine who has been a participant at the OCF for many years met recently with John Neilson. Those following the changes announced for this year's OCF will recognize Mr. Neilson as the author of the letter announcing the changes at the OCF that was sent last month to past participants. 

By way of background, according to this website: 

http://www.motorcities.org/About+Us/John+Neilson-315.html 

"John is Vice President for Venues of Museums and Attractions at The Henry Ford in Dearborn. In his current role John is responsible for the leadership and coordination of a strategic direction for Henry Ford Museum, Greenfield Village, and the Ford Rouge Factory Tour, including the quality, improvement and delivery of guest experiences, staff excellence, alignment, and the financial performance of the venues." 

When my friend met with Mr. Neilson the objective was to both express my friend's concerns regarding the changes at the OCF and gain an understanding of the thought process that lead to the changes. Unfortunately, my friend did not leave the meeting feeling good about the direction that the OCF is headed. Rather my friend left the meeting with the following impressions and perceptions: 

(1) the OCF festival had considered rolling out the changes over a period time but decided to make them all at once; beyond that it was not clear how much thought had gone into the changes or their implementation, 

(2) the changes are driven by profit motives and the new look of the Henry Ford, 

(3) they do not want to be known as a car museum, 

(4) they are not particularly concerned as to whether the car shows continue as they are a hassle for them, they consume a lot of manpower, and they are not profitable from a financial perspective, 

(5) the OCF and MM get in the way of weddings and other activities at the Henry Ford that generate net profits, 

(6) when the $25 registration fee was implemented some time ago participation dropped off the first year and then came back stronger than ever; they believe that this pattern will repeat even with the implementation of the nonrefundable $50 per car application fee, 
(7) the $50 fee will weed out participants and make the show more manageable, and maybe increase the overall quality of the cars participating in the OCF, 

(8) they are interested in how to make the show relevant to the general public, especially the younger generation that is focused on electronics; it was not clear as to whether or not they have a plan as to how to accomplish that objective, 

(9) the OCF’s hope is that participants will act as docents and stay at their cars dressed in period clothing and explain their cars to the general public. 

Before closing I wish to be VERY CLEAR with respect to a few details: 

I was NOT present at the meeting, and while I believe the information set forth above to be truthful and accurate, it is heresay, and must be taken as such. 

From my perspective, the fact is things change with the passage of time....and the changes being implemented at the OCF are just another example of that fact. 

Based upon what I have learned from my friend regarding his meeting with Mr. Neilson regarding this matter, I suspect that notwithstanding the concerns being expressed by fellow car collectors and OCF enthusiasts, be it in letters, email messages, phone calls and / or meetings, this year's OCF will unfold in accordance with the new policies set forth in the letter Mr. Neilson sent out last month. 

Take all this for what it's worth. And if you are wondering why my friend did not post this message himself, although he is a Model T Ford enthusiast, he does not frequent this site. He is, however, aware that I am posting this information and reviewed it before I posted it. "

Jim