Terry Bond

Old Car Festival in Michigan

Gary, I didn't take it that way.  No worries.

As I understand it, the Lansing to Dearborn run is no longer a part of the Old Car festival.

7 hours ago, motoringicons said:

Personally, I would rather support this new Pre War event that is taking place at the Gilmore Museum in Hickory Corners, Michigan. For their inaugural event last year, they had a great attendance and the car quality was extremely high. No discrimination or "non-refundable application fees" here. If you have a stock, pre-World War II vehicle you are "in".    Also, this is a superb part of Michigan to drive an early car. Lots of gentle hills, gorgeous countrysides that wind around picturesque lakes, and best of all, NO TRAFFIC.  If you have been to the Gilmore Museum, you already know that the grounds are spectacular and are always improving. There is plenty of trailer parking and I am almost certain they allow camping on the grounds.

The Gilmore Museum does a  great job with all of the events they host. The staff is top notch and they really go out of their way to welcome everyone. They are truly a "car collector's car museum".

Hope to see many of you there.

http://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/events-calendar/calendar/action~agenda/page_offset~2/request_format~html/

Donald Gilmore Pre-1942 Showcase Driving Tour & Car Show

May 20 @ 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Donald Gilmore Pre-1942 Showcase Driving Tour & Car Show @ Gilmore Car Museum | Hickory Corners | Michigan | United States

Celebrating the first 50 years of the automobile!

The Donald Gilmore Pre-1942 Showcase is a special show featuring Pre-War Vehicles, 1896-1942, just like the cars Museum Founder Donald Gilmore was known for collecting. The show weekend will also include a Driving Tour on Friday, May 19th. Only original stock vehicles will be eligible to participate, no modified or hot rod style vehicles please.

An award ceremony will be held at 3:00pm on Saturday and will honor the Oldest Car, Furthest Driven, and Best Dressed (best period attire worn by a vehicle’s owner), plus two very special awards – the Genevieve Gilmore Preservation Award and the Donald & Genevieve Gilmore Award (Best of Show).

Activities will also take place throughout the day, including start up demos featuring some of the earliest cars in the Museum’s Collection and a “Parade through the Decades” will take place during the show, featuring each decade represented on the show field.

Admission Rates:
Show Car Admission: $10.00/car
Vendor Admission: $20.00/space
Spectator Admission: $12.00/person

This looks like a great event!

I participated in the "first annual" Donald Gilmore Classic pre-war tour and show last May.  It was a lot of fun.  The 76 mile tour was on Friday and went through a very picturesque Barry County and had several stops including Historic Charlton Park and a senior facility where we had an impromptu car show for the residents. We also had lunch in downtown Hastings. Several of the participants were in period dress and we had a little bank robbery.  The following day was the car show on the grounds of the Gilmore Car Museum.  The Museum pulled out a number of their cars to participate in the tour and show including two Stanley Steamers and a Thomas Flyer.  I would definitely recommend participation either day. Although the OCF and Donald Gilmore Classic have somewhat differing venues they are both great events that allow us to do what the cars were built for.

Side story:  On Thursday night (night before the tour) I finished a five and a half year, nut and bolt restoration on my 1923 Studebaker by installing the last two parts....radiator and hood.  I started the rebuilt engine for the first time, played with the carb adjustments and timing, got it running smoothly and took it on a two mile drive.  I found I had to tighten up the water pump packing nuts a bit, then loaded it into the trailer and drove out to the Gilmore Museum the next morning.  I went on the tour with a little tool bag and crossed fingers.  No issues......so attention to detail pays off.  I almost forgot to mention that there was a trouble truck available during the tour.

Scott

20160520_133355.jpg20160520_141116.jpg

20160520_144710.jpg

• Like 3

I've never attended this event, so I appreciate the pics people have posted.

But, I'm having a difficult time understanding the NON-REFUNDABLE portion of the $50 APPLICATION fee!  Non-refundable if you are denied entrance?  Wow!  Certainly, it doesn't cost THAT much to create, process, etc., those applications, does it?

I hope it doesn't keep too many people from actually applying.....

Cort, www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pig&cowValves.paceMaker * 1979 CC to 2003 MGM + 81mc

"Action speaks louder than words" | Black Crowes | 'Hard To Handle'

32 minutes ago, ScarredKnightfan said:

But, I'm having a difficult time understanding the NON-REFUNDABLE portion of the $50 APPLICATION fee!  Non-refundable if you are denied entrance?  Wow!  Certainly, it doesn't cost THAT much to create, process, etc., those applications, does it?

I hope it doesn't keep too many people from actually applying.....

Yes, I was thinking of going again this year since I haven't been in a couple of years. But, non-refundable $50 fee if they reject your car is ridiculous. I am going to skip it this year and see what happens.

There is no way I would try to enter a show with a non refundable 50 dollar fee if the vehicle was not accepted,even thought its only 50 dollars I just can not throw away any amount of money.

• Like 2

It is going to be very interesting to see how this plays out.  And I'm not being a so-and-so, these are honest questions I hope have answers within the OCF team.  I've attended the OCF for many years starting in 1999 (I have the 1999 Pass In Review ribbon still) including the last several as well as the Lansing to Dearborn Run as the Support Vehicle in 2016.

$50 non refundable application fee.  The Model T and Model A Forums are not happy and they are the backbone of the OCF.  Will they attend?  Seems the OCF changes have impacted the average 'Joes' who are a major portion of the Festival as they should be.  Many are from SE Michigan and drive to the OCF.  Many are part of the Ford Family with either working their themselves, retired from or family members or Dad or Grandpa's car.  We talk about all the problems with recruitment within the old car hobby.  The T and the A are a major player in the hobby and just as important, allow younger folks to join the hobby.

The Lansing to Dearborn Run is not happening, so I've heard.  Will the Lansing to Dearborn crew attend?  What will be the number of 1 and 2 cylinder vehicles at the OCF as a result of this?

'Motorhome parking will not be permitted'.  Let me start with this one.  Many use their motorhome to tow their trailer, it is their tow vehicle.  What will the OCF do about this?  Bed check?  No gatherings in or around your tow vehicle?  'Sorry, you can't park your tow RV here because we're concerned you might sleep in it.'  Also, many who attend enjoy the social aspects of the gatherings around the motorhomes beginning with Thursday and the Lansing to Dearborn Run, and on Friday and Saturday nights too.  So, where do they 'camp'?  At some offsite campground?  How does their early vehicle and people get to the OCF?  10 miles on a public road from the campground and back?  It's one thing to drive from a parking lot trailer to the grounds of Greenfield Village, it's is another to drive across town on public roads in an early vehicle.  Will they?  Bring the vehicle over from the campground in the trailer, drop it off and then go back to the campground with your motorhome and trailer and figure how to get yourself back?  Leave your trailer with or without car at the OCF?  Is that permitted?  Will people leave their car unattended in a trailer?  Seems the OCF has impacted the other end of the hobby that has a motorhome, trailer and car(s) but now, no place to hang-their-hat.  (Don't get me wrong, I wish I had a diesel pusher, enclosed trailer and a half dozen cars to haul in it.  Sounds good to me.  I drive 65 miles each way.  It's a nice drive from Fenton.)

Now, my Dad always said, offer a solution when you see a problem son, use that thing on your shoulders, so here goes.

1)  Go to Google Earth (maps) and look at the number and size of the parking lots on the Ford Dearborn Campus adjacent to the Greenfield Village.  Figure out a plan with Ford to have motorhome and trailer parking in one of these lots starting Friday evening after the Ford folks go home.  Communicate and organize it.  Have shuttles, stops and a schedule for them to these lots.  It may sound funny, but you invited several hundred people with old cars, tow vehicles and trailers, you need to provide space for them.  Allow people to 'camp'.  Modern RVs are self contained.  Have fire routes within the RV parking areas.  Park the rigs on an angle like they do semis at the rest stops on the highway, not nose to tail with no room to get your vehicle out of your trailer or no way to depart because your rig is blocked in (as you have allowed inefficiently in the past).  In fact, require this with all rigs.  These egress routes are also the fire lanes.  Have signage/directions and a long entrance route that winds around the Ford lots on Friday so there is no big back-up on the public streets and this guides the rigs to the correct parking area and they are shown how to park their rig.  Have a cut-off time for this arrival so this does not go on all night and you are not running people over in the dark. 

2)  Abandon the $50 non-refundable application fee.  Want to raise the registration fee?  Fine.  Make the non-refundable application fee more reasonable ($5 $10?) to cover the application/selection process and then if your are fortunate enough to be chosen to attend, then require a registration fee that is non-refundable.  'Hey, I get to go!' (now that second, larger, non-refundable fee, has a carrot on the end of the string that is easier to swallow).

3)  Remember, goodwill has a value. 

4)  Also remember, owning an antique vehicle, spending days getting your car ready, towing or driving to/from the event, hotel nights, meals, all have a value too.  Don't take the fun out of it.

• Like 8

On 1/19/2017 at 10:10 PM, Stude Light said:

... I really enjoyed the event...

I can hardly take my wife out to see a two hour movie with popcorn and a coke

for much less than $50 so I think it's more about the change and the matter-of-fact letter, than the cost.

I agree with many, that a non-refundable

"application" fee to show a car--where once

the show was even free--is high-handed and absurd.

Mr. Stude, I agree that the entertainment value of an event

is high.  In your analogy, though, YOU are paying admission

to see the movie that YOU provided the public!

John,

I agree with you - I don't like it either and feel it is over the top. But there are two parts to the application fee that I touched on in two different posts and both have been discussed as why some folks won't go.

One, the non-refundable fee: This is probably the part that gets most folks goat. It will drive a lot of folks away and that may be their intent,  For me, I enjoy the event enough to take the risk and if I lose, I hope that money goes to the Village and not all to the company managing the applications.

Two, the increase in cost to $50: That is what I reference to my movie ticket scenario.

Please don't feel I'm condoning the changes. I'm just expressing that I won't boycott the event myself due to the reasons I give.

Scott

• Like 1

I have heard from two of my friends who are regular attendees and neither is going anymore.  Frankly if my friends give it a miss I will as well.  They are mostly angry with the shabby treatment of the LDR ( Lansing to Dearborn )  What has happened in Dearborn, seems like a bad dream.  Time to wake up.  On a positive note Bev and I are attending the HCCA Convention in Oklahoma then choices like the New England Brass and Gas, there are at least three other week long tours for pre16 cars this summer.  The OCF is not the only game in town.  The spring AACA meet in Auburn should be interesting if a large group of classics show up for judging and the Gilmore in May, as posted above, sounds appealing.  Gary  

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 9:15 AM, 1925 Gray said:

I think it signals many more major changes in the future.  The OCF was never meant to be a concours but it looks like it is headed that way.  It was, in fact, started by Barney Pollard and was run by volunteers from the local VMCCA and AACA chapter members.  The Village simply provided the venue.  The Festival was meant to be just that: a Festival of cars for the core of owners to enjoy.  It was meant for the owners of Dodge Brothers, Chevys, Plymouths, etc. to meet and have fun: a Festival.  I just hope it doesn't turn into an elitist event.

My radar senses also agree with your statement.  I would not be surprised that the Motor Muster becomes a muscle car show with lots of Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros, and Chrysler muscle.

The Eyes on Design show is on the same weekend as the Motor Muster show.  Maybe it is time to go there.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

This is still disappointing :-(

After spending most of my 61 years dreaming of owning a vintage car I realised that dream last year and purchased a very nice 1926 Franklin.

I've been to the Old Car Festival several times as a spectator - I live in west Michigan a little over 2 hours from Greenfield Village so it's not a huge trip for me to make. One of the things I looked forward to about being a vintage car owner was the chance to take it to the Old Car Festival. Now from reading the letter it seems my chance of that is close to zero since I'm not a previous participant. (I have been a member of The Henry Ford/Greenfield Village for probably 20 years).

I live about 20 miles from the Gilmore Car Museum, and am a member there too, but alas on the weekend of the Pre War Car Festival I'll be in New Mexico for a non-car thing that I've been going to for 20 years, so will miss that, but I do have the Air Cooled Festival on my calendar for June at the Gilmore.

If there is any representation being made to The Henry Ford put me down for being disappointed that it seems like there's no way for a new olde car owner to "break in" to the scene, which as noted a number of times above it would only help them to have some new different cars turning up there each year.

Bugger

Roger

I have been asked go post the site for the MTCFA forum discussing the MM and OCF changes.

There are three threads starting with this one and then going in order.  I warn you that they are long but, depending on your interest, well worth the read.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/711471.html?1484770978

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/715450.html?1485195296

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/717141.html?1485321205

Thanks Marty.

Please share/post a link to this discussion on your Model T Forum so our T Friends can see this discussion.  Thx!

• Like 2

Roger, You should attend the OCF and please do not be put off by comments.  It is a wonderful venue for driving old cars.  Though the many changes have many scratching our heads as to the possible concept behind them.  I am sure the park will be memorable.  Please go, the OCF has always been my wifes favourite car activity.  Bring your new Franklin and enjoy.  Gary

Edited by cxgvd
spelling (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, cxgvd said:

Roger, You should attend the OCF and please do not be put off by comments.  It is a wonderful venue for driving old cars.  Though the many changes have many scratching our heads as to the possible concept behind them.  I am sure the park will be memorable.  Please go, the OCF has always been my wifes favourite car activity.  Bring your new Franklin and enjoy.  Gary

But at least as I read the letter I won't be considered for attendance because I'm not a previous attendee?

I'd love for that to be wrong, and I can pay my $50 and drive my Franklin around Greenfield Village for a couple of days.

But the idea of paying $50 for a likelihood of no chance of being accepted isn't so exciting.

Roger

Roger; The Festival committee has had the "past attendees only" in place last year and yet I met many who were there for the first time.  It seems another group had a tour following the OCF and many took the opportunity to go to both events.  I recall seeing licence plates from far away as Kansas.  I would think your odds at getting accepted, with a Franklin, is excellent.  To be fair to the Henry Ford, they likely have a viable plan which is obscured to us mere mortals.  Gary

Well come 1 June I will be making my application, and hoping for the best.

Maybe I'll see you there then. :-)

Roger

On 1/19/2017 at 1:00 AM, nick8086 said:

Is this the same club? 

http://www.eyesondesign.org/carshow/

No, The Old Car Festival is sponsored by "The Henry Ford" which as of this week is now "The Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation". "Eyes on Design" is sponsored by the Detroit Institute of  ophthalmology. That show is held at the Edsel and Elinor Ford home, which may be where the confusion comes in. 

Edited by mrpushbutton (see edit history)

1 hour ago, theKiwi said:

Well come 1 June I will be making my application, and hoping for the best.

Maybe I'll see you there then. :-)

Roger,

To my knowledge, last year was the first year that only previous participants could register.  Reading the body of the letter (and not just the cover letter which is addressed to previous participants), it says that registration will be open to the public that meet the criteria.  If for some reason you cannot apply, PM me and I'll forward you an email contact from the Program Registration Office that still controls the process of who is approved.  That is how I was able to participate for the first time last year.  I agree with Gary, your Franklin should be accepted no problem (unless there is significant modifications that don't meet the criteria).  There were very few air-cooled cars there last year, so having you there would be a great add.  Not sure I'll get accepted again, but I'll try and see what happens.  If not, I'll come as a participant.

Scott

• Like 1

On 25/01/2017 at 4:52 PM, Stude Light said:

Roger,

To my knowledge, last year was the first year that only previous participants could register.  Reading the body of the letter (and not just the cover letter which is addressed to previous participants), it says that registration will be open to the public that meet the criteria.  If for some reason you cannot apply, PM me and I'll forward you an email contact from the Program Registration Office that still controls the process of who is approved.  That is how I was able to participate for the first time last year.  I agree with Gary, your Franklin should be accepted no problem (unless there is significant modifications that don't meet the criteria).  There were very few air-cooled cars there last year, so having you there would be a great add.  Not sure I'll get accepted again, but I'll try and see what happens.  If not, I'll come as a participant.

Scott

Thanks for the encouragement - I'll certainly be making an application.

The Franklin is pretty much standard - except right now it has a rubber fuel line coming out the bottom of the tank and an electric fuel pump - a far from satisfactory situation, so I have the fuel tank out of it now to clean that out, and have the vacuum tank (luckily I got that with, but separate from, the car) apart to clean that out and get it working again. The original steel fuel line is in place still, and hopefully intact, so I hope to get the fuel system all back to the way it was.

Roger

FYI:  I spoke with Sarah Gaynier at The Henry Ford on Thursday and we had a nice talk regarding the changes.  They are aware that people are upset about the changes, but I got the sense that they are not aware of the depth of how people are upset, nor what appears to be a partial exodus from the events.  I am waiting for a response on one more item from her and, hopefully, will have more information on Monday.  I will post something then.

• Like 2

Marty,

Thank you for reaching out. My acceptance of the situation doesn't do anything for the membership as a whole so I applaud your efforts to help the THF understand the concerns in the community and, hopefully, bring about some improvements to their plan. If not, maybe help shed some light on the "whys" of the changes.

Scott

Here is the press release where the name of the museum was changed.  

https://www.thehenryford.org/about/press-room/press-releases/new-name-reflects-henry-ford-museums-commitment-to-inspire-tomorrows-leaders-today/

It includes the name of the president of the organization.  Write a letter to her and explain your position if you want to possibly be an agent for change.

• Like 1