Old Car Festival in Michigan

Terry Bond

Although Michigan is my home state, the Navy had me doing other things and I was never able to attend this event at the Henry Ford Museum.  Over the year's I've heard it's been one heck of an event, but have lately been following a thread on the Model T forum

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/711471.html?1484770978

It seems that in an effort to control/limit the size of the event the folks who organize it have gone to the extreme and may actually kill it off!   I don't have a horse in this race, but thought it might be interesting to get the perspective from forum members here who may have attended, and what they think of the changes taking place.   It sounds like they have implemented an "application" process for those interested in being a part of it, and there is a non-refundable $50 application fee involved.   Sounds kinda drastic.   Thoughts?

I can't get the letters (pics) to open but as I've heard/read what they are about not a big deal. 

This pertains to both Motor Muster in June for the 1933 to late 1970s vehicles and the Old Car Festival in September for 1932 and older vehicles.  I've heard that part of the reason is some new development by FoMoCo and that they (GV) is losing some real estate.  I thought perhaps the land they were losing would be the horse pastures or something near to Southfield Road, can't figure out what part of the Village would otherwise be in jeopardy. 

Crazy the price increase, reduction in number of passes from 4 to 2 and that if your vehicles is not approved, you're out the 'application fee' of $50.  It wasn't that long ago the price increased from $0 to $25, as Terry suggested, this could be the beginning of the end for both of these wonderful shows. 

• Like 1

The Festival was one of the events I've always wanted to go to ever since the first Floyd Clymer book days. It never got to "Bucket List" level, but it would be nice to see all those Brass Era cars. I've been to the Ford collection, first time in 1968 with my Dad as a High School graduation gift, and in the 1970's when an AACA Meet was held there. I find myself looking at photos of the restored Brass Era cars that were at meets in the late 1940's and 1950's and wonder were they are now. I wonder if anyone tried to put on an event with cars that were restored 50+ years ago? Some of the great cars are well known, and in great collections, but were are all the others? Bob

I've been to the Old Car Festival a number of times as a spectator.

Now that I have purchased my lovely 1926 Franklin 11A Sedan I was really looking forward to going as a participant. This is not encouraging, but I remain optimistic, so I guess on 1 June will commit $50 to the effort.

Roger

• Like 1

Wow, that is quite a drastic increase in price. Motor Muster has always been one of my favorite events. Due to it not being close, I cannot get to it every year. But this will have me giving seconds thoughts to going. It almost sounds like they are trying to discourage people from going. Double the price, 2 less people, no more free train ride tickets, you have to be pre-selected for pass thru review, they keep your $50 if your car is not approved...

Never a good thing one someone suddenly gets a brilliant idea that ends up killing off a previously nice show.

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My wife and I have been attending since 1991.  The OCF is a premiere event for early cars and unique in the antique hobby.  Since the OCF is a festival, cars are in action, historians speak, races and games, a Model T assembly team entertain and it closes out the summer.  Without the OCF the cars of the 1920's have no where to go, sure Fords have clubs and touring but if not for Dearborn ...

The Henry Ford is a museum and by definition is seeking money.  AACA charges $30.00? to have your car judged, most on the street or in parks charge $10.00 I wonder how much Pebble Beach gets?  The OCF was nearly 1000 cars in 2015 and the park was full, mostly Fords, I would be happy if they can get the show down to a more reasonable size. Much better for me and likely the Greenfield Village's visitors too.  Long may you run.. Gary Van Dyken

6 hours ago, nick8086 said:

I this the same club ??

http://www.eyesondesign.org/carshow/

No, the two are not the same.  The car shows at Greenfield Village/ The Henry Ford Museum are done by "The Henry Ford" organization. 

The Eyes on Design is a car show put on by the Henry Ford Health System's Detroit Institute of OphthalmologyIt is put on to benefit the eye institute. The show is on the same weekend as the Motor Muster at Greenfield Village.  The show is put on like a concours show. The cars in the show are by invitation only.  The show is presented on the grounds of the Edsel & Eleanor Ford home. 

I may be volunteering at this show this year.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

I have gone to this event (the Old Car Festival) since the mid 60's, with a hiatus during times away. This is a must see and certainly on anybodies "bucket list" for good events to attend, display or not. Where else can you see 200 plus brass era cars in operation and on display at one place. I presume the idea to handle the "Pass in Review" was to consolidate and speed up the process without trying to kill off the program. How much can ANYBODY say interesting after the 30th 1930 Model A Ford Coupe passes in review. I know I'll catch heck for this, but that is reality. A sampling of cars makes the conversation and viewing better for the audience (which is what "pass in review" is for) than overwhelming them with many multiples of the same cars. Any change is hard, but I feel (no knowledge of their intentions) that this itself would be a better move and far more interesting for the crowds. I try to go each year possible, will continue to go as often as possible and highly recommend it for those who have not been before. Logistics of the 800-1000 vehicles is daunting, just think about the trailers/equipment, staff parking and the thousands of visitors that this event has attracted in the past. Kudos to The Henry Ford for trying to look at the objective (Visitors) and putting on what in my mind is one of the premier events for vehicles of this era. Rob

Motor Muster is my favorite car show of the year, but I can understand why they'd try to limit the car count.  Greenfield Village is a big place, but even it has its limitations.  And no offense to Mustang owners (I own a '65 coupe myself), but it seems like 25% of the cars on display are Mustangs (just like the OCF is about 25% Model A's).  Paring the show down so there's less overlap among models doesn't seem like a terrible idea, although it might be less painful to entrants to just do it via the selection process, although some long time entrants would probably be left out as a result, leading to some hard feelings.

• Like 1

I have attended the Old Car Festival as a spectator off and on over the years and will be planning on going with one of my cars someday in the future.

While I'm neither advocating or criticising a 100% increase and the changes to an application to this event, it is none the less something unlike any other in this part of the country.

If you look at the cost of general admission for two and consider it is a pass for two days with your car, all the many cars in a most unique setting (and it is not just Ford models - yes they are well represented as it is Ford Country), the included admission to all the historic building there usually with interpreters and the candlelight driving during the evening let alone the ability to drive around during the all day show,,,, 

My personal opinion, it is a great value experience for the money.

Gang, sadly nothing gets any cheaper and unfortunately change is inevitable.

Here are some pictures of one show.

DSCN0279 - copy.jpg

DSCN0280_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

DSCN0288_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

DSCN0291_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

DSCN0303_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

• Like 1

Last spring I finished up my 1923 Studebaker and was told early in the year about the Old Car Festival (OCF)and how great an event it was by some other pre-war enthusiasts.  I just figured I would sign up online once the event opened for applications….wrong. I was not able to sign up and was told that only previous participants could sign up as the event had more people wanting to participate than there was capacity to support.  There was one caveat though….if you had something related to early camping they would consider inviting you to the event as that was their theme in 2016.

Sooooooo. I talked with one of the past participants and he forwarded me the email invite from the OCF vehicle coordinator which gave me a contact.  I requested to be considered and forwarded the three required photos along with a little history of the car.  About a month later, I received an invite and was asked if I would also participate in a little sales squaring off with a 1923 Model T - which car the crowd would pick if they were living in 1923 based on the cost ($975 vs $393 - ugh), features, styling, etc.

It was a great venue and I had an excellent time.  I did see a push to diversify the portfolio quite a bit and that theme continues for 2017. Looking at 20 of the same car (and same model year) is not as interesting as looking at several different manufacturers and models of the same year.  As far as the fees….no one likes paying higher fees but if you see how much landscape (lawn) damage is done during the event, especially due to the fall rains, soft ground and skinny tires you might see why they need to raise the costs.  I don’t like the non-refundable application fee but personally, I’m willing to invest the $50 application fee and take the chance I will not be selected and call it a donation to a really nice facility and event.

One other item if you missed it in the letter….you need to have a separate email address for each vehicle entered.  Perhaps this is also another way in controlling the number of vehicles/participants. Even as a spectator, I highly recommend the OCF.  You get to see the cars do what they were made for....driving around streets surrounded by vintage buildings, over the covered bridge, past the policeman directing traffic, day and night, surrounded by folks in period dress, etc..

Scott

• Like 1

Definitely a lot of unhappy folks on the Model T Ford Club Forum and I can see their point.  The non-refundable application fee is a rather "rude" change.  I think without that, the other changes would have been more palatable. For me, I really enjoyed the event and would put up with the changes to participate as there very few similar opportunities for the pre-war crowd to participate in. I can hardly take my wife out to see a two hour movie with popcorn and a coke for much less than $50 so I think it's more about the change and the matter-of-fact letter, than the cost.

Gentleman,  first let me introduce myself.  My name is Marty Bufalini.  Up until last year when I resigned of my own decision, I was a consultant to The Henry Ford for both the Motor Muster and the Old Car Festival.  I started the Motor Muster and narrated that event since its inception and narrated the OCF for 35 years.

If I may address some of the issues regarding the events.

The space limitations are regarding the trailers, motor homes and, campers participants bring to the events -- not necessarily the cars within the Village for the shows.  Admittedly, they have lost most, if not all, of their space outside the Village property and parking for those vehicles is a problem.  However, I am sure there are other ways to solve that issue other than making these drastic changes.

For the cars displayed within the Village, there is ample room and the grounds, in my opinion, are under utilized. For example, for those of you familiar with the Village, the space between the Martha Mary Chapel and the Town Hall is nearly empty during the shows.

Based on my experience, I can see no reason to be INVITED to go through the Pass-in-Review, a unique highlight of the events and very popular with the visitors and the participants.  Fifty percent of participants will be invited, the other fifty percent, apparently, is open.  As a long-time narrator, I have rarely seen a problem with time constraints.  Yes, sometimes a narrator gets too long winded but that time is usually made up.  As for what can the narrators say after the 30th Model A (or Model T, for that matter) pass through, when I was narrating, we would group a bunch of like makes together and talk about them.  This not only sped up the process, but it also made for one heck of a spectacle to see so many of the same makes at the same time in the same place.  We would also group unlike cars together -- a steamer with an electric with a gasoline car, a Model T and a Pierce Arrow of the same year -- to educate about the differences.  Limiting the Pass-in-Review makes no sense whatsoever. 

The $50 non-refundable fee also makes no sense.  Where does that money go if I am not accepted?  Can it really be to cover the cost to THF of simply registering?  And if I am accepted, does it really cost them that much for the plaque, a cardboard ID card and two wristbands?  Yes, I know it takes a large staff to put this event on long before and during the events.  However, both events draw larger than normal crowds of visitors who pay at the gate AND pay to park.  And then consider all the money those visitors pay for rides, souvenirs and, food.

Twenty dollars per extra wristbands?  What if you have a family of four or six?  It gets prohibitively expensive.  It seems to me the core of participants are hard-working folk who may not be able to afford that.  Without the participants, there would be no show.  (Is that their intent?)

There was a time not so long ago, when a different management attempted to make changes to OCF (MM did not exist then) and the participant rate dropped to 200 - 250 cars.  It was not much of a Festival.  Since then, a Special Events team was in place which worked very hard to bring those numbers back up.  They succeeded beyond their wildest dreams.  With 700 plus cars on display and driving around the Village it became a Festival again.

I know there will be those that will pay the fees and still attend (I probably will be one of them) but I believe those in charge who made the changes should be made known of owners concerns.

I am by no means suggesting a boycott.

On the MTFCA forum, I've suggested creating a petition to request a meeting with those in charge to at least  let our feelings be known and to gain a better understanding of why these drastic -- and possibly event killing -- changes are being made.

I would be interested to know if anyone else is interested in such a petition.

Thanks for your time.

My vote would be to let the management have it's say and let us see how it goes.  It's still Greenfield Village in late summer, my car has working gas lamps, been going since 1998 and will likely be accepted.  I agree the application fee is heavy handed, the cut back to two entry wristbands is a head shaker and what else is coming.  Don't know, wait and see.  The OCF is far from dead.

I read the last page on the Ford forum.  These changes are clearly aimed at the Ford group to reduce their participation numbers, I believe.  Naturally they are angry, it is their festival as well.  I for one, none Ford guy, am willing it give it a try.

Will miss your wit and wisdom Marty.  I guess from your reaction did you see this shift coming before you retired from the OCF?  Gary Van Dyken

" The Henry Ford " whould not exist without the Model T.

It is the Foundation of Ford.

As I stated over on the MTFCA forum .....

Do you own a Model T because you consider yourself an Elitist ? 

Henry Ford said: 

" I will build a car for the great multitude. 

It will be large enough for the family, but small enough for the individual to run and care for. 

It will be constructed of the best materials, by the best men to be hired, after the simplest designs that modern engineering can devise. 

But it will be so low in price that no man making a good salary will be unable to own one. " 

The common trait that all modern Model T owners share is the desire to simplify life. 

Henry struggled with that his entire life. 

That was the catalyst for " The Henry Ford " (also known as the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village, and more formally as the Edison Institute). 

" Named for its founder, the automobile industrialist Henry Ford, and based on his efforts to preserve items of historical interest and portray the Industrial Revolution, the property houses homes, machinery, exhibits, and Americana of historically significant items as well as common memorabilia, both of which help to capture the history of life in early America. 

Henry Ford said of his museum: 

" I am collecting the history of our people as written into things their hands made and used.... 

When we are through, we shall have reproduced American life as lived, and that, I think, is the best way of preserving at least a part of our history and tradition...[6] " 

So - we have " evolved " to the point that potential participants who own their own vehicles have to PAY a non-refundable application fee 
for " consideration " of inclusion into a Meet & Greet with the Public ? 

That fee combined with the cost to travel to & from the Event and obtain lodging is proving to be a financial hardship for many past participants. 

I think folks at the Henry Ford have forgotten their mission statement. 

I think they need to be reminded by Modern Model T Owners. 

There are PLENTY of old cars in the Henry Ford Museum. 

Perhaps the organizers should take those vehicles out once a year for the Public to experience and ride in. 

Here is my point: 

The Model T was never intended to be a show car. 

It was a common car for the common man. 

Don't let any organization - museum - club take that badge of distinction away from the Model T Legacy. 

Honor Henry Ford's True Legacy - Simplicity 

Jim

Gary Van, no I did not see this coming prior to my stepping down as consultant and narrator.  I stepped down because narrating for 35 years -- more than half of the OCFs and wanting to spend more time during the event with my family and friends , I thought it was time.  Part of me is glad that I was not part of this debacle.  Another part of me wishes that I stayed so maybe participants would have a voice in the matter.

Also, the changes are not aimed at the Ford owners.  Although there has been talk for couple of years now of limiting the number of Model Ts and As.  Even though I stepped down, the prior Special Events management asked if I would put a small committee together to discuss that possibility and how to do it fairly.  That went by the wayside when the prior team moved on.

And, Gary, thanks for the kind words.  I'll miss the narration but with grandkids now, well, you know.

Stude light, I don't think it's about the tone of the letter.  I think it's about the perceived greediness and what these changes will do to what was a unique event. I think it signals many more major changes in the future.  The OCF was never meant to be a concours but it looks like it is headed that way.  It was, in fact, started by Barney Pollard and was run by volunteers from the local VMCCA and AACA chapter members.  The Village simply provided the venue.  The Festival was meant to be just that: a Festival of cars for the core of owners to enjoy.  It was meant for the owners of Dodge Brothers, Chevys, Plymouths, etc. to meet and have fun: a Festival.  I just hope it doesn't turn into an elitist event.

18 minutes ago, 1925 Gray said:

I think it signals many more major changes in the future.  The OCF was never meant to be a concours but it looks like it is headed that way.  It was, in fact, started by Barney Pollard and was run by volunteers from the local VMCCA and AACA chapter members.  The Village simply provided the venue.  The Festival was meant to be just that: a Festival of cars for the core of owners to enjoy.  It was meant for the owners of Dodge Brothers, Chevys, Plymouths, etc. to meet and have fun: a Festival.  I just hope it doesn't turn into an elitist event.

Marty,

My radar senses also agree with your statement.

Sorry, Marty.  I did not mean to sound as if you were running away from a situation.  What I meant to ask in my own clumsy way was there no advance notification of a change coming?  Which you have already answered, thanks.  After so much time and effort you deserve to put your feet up and enjoy.  The OCF is more than days in the park, we enjoyed driving to our hotel with gas lights burning, motoring to Leon's for Sunday breakfast, the pizza party following the Lansing to Dearborn run and so I plan to give them a try.  Hope to see you.  Gary V

9 minutes ago, cxgvd said:

The OCF is more than days in the park, we enjoyed driving to our hotel with gas lights burning, motoring to Leon's for Sunday breakfast, the pizza party following the Lansing to Dearborn run and so I plan to give them a try.  Hope to see you.  Gary V

It will be interesting to see how the changes impact the HCCA Dearborn-Lansing-Dearborn run.

Personally, I would rather support this new Pre War event that is taking place at the Gilmore Museum in Hickory Corners, Michigan. For their inaugural event last year, they had a great attendance and the car quality was extremely high. No discrimination or "non-refundable application fees" here. If you have a stock, pre-World War II vehicle you are "in".    Also, this is a superb part of Michigan to drive an early car. Lots of gentle hills, gorgeous countrysides that wind around picturesque lakes, and best of all, NO TRAFFIC.  If you have been to the Gilmore Museum, you already know that the grounds are spectacular and are always improving. There is plenty of trailer parking and I am almost certain they allow camping on the grounds.

The Gilmore Museum does a  great job with all of the events they host. The staff is top notch and they really go out of their way to welcome everyone. They are truly a "car collector's car museum".

Hope to see many of you there.

http://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/events-calendar/calendar/action~agenda/page_offset~2/request_format~html/

Donald Gilmore Pre-1942 Showcase Driving Tour & Car Show

May 20 @ 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Donald Gilmore Pre-1942 Showcase Driving Tour & Car Show @ Gilmore Car Museum | Hickory Corners | Michigan | United States

Celebrating the first 50 years of the automobile!

The Donald Gilmore Pre-1942 Showcase is a special show featuring Pre-War Vehicles, 1896-1942, just like the cars Museum Founder Donald Gilmore was known for collecting. The show weekend will also include a Driving Tour on Friday, May 19th. Only original stock vehicles will be eligible to participate, no modified or hot rod style vehicles please.

An award ceremony will be held at 3:00pm on Saturday and will honor the Oldest Car, Furthest Driven, and Best Dressed (best period attire worn by a vehicle’s owner), plus two very special awards – the Genevieve Gilmore Preservation Award and the Donald & Genevieve Gilmore Award (Best of Show).

Activities will also take place throughout the day, including start up demos featuring some of the earliest cars in the Museum’s Collection and a “Parade through the Decades” will take place during the show, featuring each decade represented on the show field.

Admission Rates:
Show Car Admission: $10.00/car
Vendor Admission: $20.00/space
Spectator Admission: $12.00/person

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, motoringicons said:

Personally, I would rather support this new Pre War event that is taking place at the Gilmore Museum in Hickory Corners, Michigan. For their inaugural event last year, they had a great attendance and the car quality was extremely high. No discrimination or "non-refundable application fees" here. If you have a stock, pre-World War II vehicle you are "in".    Also, this is a superb part of Michigan to drive an early car. Lots of gentle hills, gorgeous countrysides that wind around picturesque lakes, and best of all, NO TRAFFIC.  If you have been to the Gilmore Museum, you already know that the grounds are spectacular and are always improving. There is plenty of trailer parking and I am almost certain they allow camping on the grounds.

The Gilmore Museum does a  great job with all of the events they host. The staff is top notch and they really go out of their way to welcome everyone. They are truly a "car collector's car museum".

Hope to see many of you there.

http://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/events-calendar/calendar/action~agenda/page_offset~2/request_format~html/

Donald Gilmore Pre-1942 Showcase Driving Tour & Car Show

May 20 @ 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Donald Gilmore Pre-1942 Showcase Driving Tour & Car Show @ Gilmore Car Museum | Hickory Corners | Michigan | United States

Celebrating the first 50 years of the automobile!

The Donald Gilmore Pre-1942 Showcase is a special show featuring Pre-War Vehicles, 1896-1942, just like the cars Museum Founder Donald Gilmore was known for collecting. The show weekend will also include a Driving Tour on Friday, May 19th. Only original stock vehicles will be eligible to participate, no modified or hot rod style vehicles please.

An award ceremony will be held at 3:00pm on Saturday and will honor the Oldest Car, Furthest Driven, and Best Dressed (best period attire worn by a vehicle’s owner), plus two very special awards – the Genevieve Gilmore Preservation Award and the Donald & Genevieve Gilmore Award (Best of Show).

Activities will also take place throughout the day, including start up demos featuring some of the earliest cars in the Museum’s Collection and a “Parade through the Decades” will take place during the show, featuring each decade represented on the show field.

Admission Rates:
Show Car Admission: $10.00/car
Vendor Admission: $20.00/space
Spectator Admission: $12.00/person

This looks like a great event!

I participated in the "first annual" Donald Gilmore Classic pre-war tour and show last May.  It was a lot of fun.  The 76 mile tour was on Friday and went through a very picturesque Barry County and had several stops including Historic Charlton Park and a senior facility where we had an impromptu car show for the residents. We also had lunch in downtown Hastings. Several of the participants were in period dress and we had a little bank robbery.  The following day was the car show on the grounds of the Gilmore Car Museum.  The Museum pulled out a number of their cars to participate in the tour and show including two Stanley Steamers and a Thomas Flyer.  I would definitely recommend participation either day. Although the OCF and Donald Gilmore Classic have somewhat differing venues they are both great events that allow us to do what the cars were built for.

Side story:  On Thursday night (night before the tour) I finished a five and a half year, nut and bolt restoration on my 1923 Studebaker by installing the last two parts....radiator and hood.  I started the rebuilt engine for the first time, played with the carb adjustments and timing, got it running smoothly and took it on a two mile drive.  I found I had to tighten up the water pump packing nuts a bit, then loaded it into the trailer and drove out to the Gilmore Museum the next morning.  I went on the tour with a little tool bag and crossed fingers.  No issues......so attention to detail pays off.  I almost forgot to mention that there was a trouble truck available during the tour.

Scott

20160520_133355.jpg20160520_141116.jpg

20160520_144710.jpg

• Like 3

I've never attended this event, so I appreciate the pics people have posted.

But, I'm having a difficult time understanding the NON-REFUNDABLE portion of the $50 APPLICATION fee!  Non-refundable if you are denied entrance?  Wow!  Certainly, it doesn't cost THAT much to create, process, etc., those applications, does it?

I hope it doesn't keep too many people from actually applying.....

Cort, www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pig&cowValves.paceMaker * 1979 CC to 2003 MGM + 81mc

"Action speaks louder than words" | Black Crowes | 'Hard To Handle'

32 minutes ago, ScarredKnightfan said:

But, I'm having a difficult time understanding the NON-REFUNDABLE portion of the $50 APPLICATION fee!  Non-refundable if you are denied entrance?  Wow!  Certainly, it doesn't cost THAT much to create, process, etc., those applications, does it?

I hope it doesn't keep too many people from actually applying.....

Yes, I was thinking of going again this year since I haven't been in a couple of years. But, non-refundable $50 fee if they reject your car is ridiculous. I am going to skip it this year and see what happens.

It is going to be very interesting to see how this plays out.  And I'm not being a so-and-so, these are honest questions I hope have answers within the OCF team.  I've attended the OCF for many years starting in 1999 (I have the 1999 Pass In Review ribbon still) including the last several as well as the Lansing to Dearborn Run as the Support Vehicle in 2016.

$50 non refundable application fee.  The Model T and Model A Forums are not happy and they are the backbone of the OCF.  Will they attend?  Seems the OCF changes have impacted the average 'Joes' who are a major portion of the Festival as they should be.  Many are from SE Michigan and drive to the OCF.  Many are part of the Ford Family with either working their themselves, retired from or family members or Dad or Grandpa's car.  We talk about all the problems with recruitment within the old car hobby.  The T and the A are a major player in the hobby and just as important, allow younger folks to join the hobby.

The Lansing to Dearborn Run is not happening, so I've heard.  Will the Lansing to Dearborn crew attend?  What will be the number of 1 and 2 cylinder vehicles at the OCF as a result of this?

'Motorhome parking will not be permitted'.  Let me start with this one.  Many use their motorhome to tow their trailer, it is their tow vehicle.  What will the OCF do about this?  Bed check?  No gatherings in or around your tow vehicle?  'Sorry, you can't park your tow RV here because we're concerned you might sleep in it.'  Also, many who attend enjoy the social aspects of the gatherings around the motorhomes beginning with Thursday and the Lansing to Dearborn Run, and on Friday and Saturday nights too.  So, where do they 'camp'?  At some offsite campground?  How does their early vehicle and people get to the OCF?  10 miles on a public road from the campground and back?  It's one thing to drive from a parking lot trailer to the grounds of Greenfield Village, it's is another to drive across town on public roads in an early vehicle.  Will they?  Bring the vehicle over from the campground in the trailer, drop it off and then go back to the campground with your motorhome and trailer and figure how to get yourself back?  Leave your trailer with or without car at the OCF?  Is that permitted?  Will people leave their car unattended in a trailer?  Seems the OCF has impacted the other end of the hobby that has a motorhome, trailer and car(s) but now, no place to hang-their-hat.  (Don't get me wrong, I wish I had a diesel pusher, enclosed trailer and a half dozen cars to haul in it.  Sounds good to me.  I drive 65 miles each way.  It's a nice drive from Fenton.)

Now, my Dad always said, offer a solution when you see a problem son, use that thing on your shoulders, so here goes.

1)  Go to Google Earth (maps) and look at the number and size of the parking lots on the Ford Dearborn Campus adjacent to the Greenfield Village.  Figure out a plan with Ford to have motorhome and trailer parking in one of these lots starting Friday evening after the Ford folks go home.  Communicate and organize it.  Have shuttles, stops and a schedule for them to these lots.  It may sound funny, but you invited several hundred people with old cars, tow vehicles and trailers, you need to provide space for them.  Allow people to 'camp'.  Modern RVs are self contained.  Have fire routes within the RV parking areas.  Park the rigs on an angle like they do semis at the rest stops on the highway, not nose to tail with no room to get your vehicle out of your trailer or no way to depart because your rig is blocked in (as you have allowed inefficiently in the past).  In fact, require this with all rigs.  These egress routes are also the fire lanes.  Have signage/directions and a long entrance route that winds around the Ford lots on Friday so there is no big back-up on the public streets and this guides the rigs to the correct parking area and they are shown how to park their rig.  Have a cut-off time for this arrival so this does not go on all night and you are not running people over in the dark. 

2)  Abandon the $50 non-refundable application fee.  Want to raise the registration fee?  Fine.  Make the non-refundable application fee more reasonable ($5 $10?) to cover the application/selection process and then if your are fortunate enough to be chosen to attend, then require a registration fee that is non-refundable.  'Hey, I get to go!' (now that second, larger, non-refundable fee, has a carrot on the end of the string that is easier to swallow).

3)  Remember, goodwill has a value. 

4)  Also remember, owning an antique vehicle, spending days getting your car ready, towing or driving to/from the event, hotel nights, meals, all have a value too.  Don't take the fun out of it.

• Like 8

On 1/19/2017 at 10:10 PM, Stude Light said:

... I really enjoyed the event...

I can hardly take my wife out to see a two hour movie with popcorn and a coke

for much less than $50 so I think it's more about the change and the matter-of-fact letter, than the cost.

I agree with many, that a non-refundable

"application" fee to show a car--where once

the show was even free--is high-handed and absurd.

Mr. Stude, I agree that the entertainment value of an event

is high.  In your analogy, though, YOU are paying admission

to see the movie that YOU provided the public!

John,

I agree with you - I don't like it either and feel it is over the top. But there are two parts to the application fee that I touched on in two different posts and both have been discussed as why some folks won't go.

One, the non-refundable fee: This is probably the part that gets most folks goat. It will drive a lot of folks away and that may be their intent,  For me, I enjoy the event enough to take the risk and if I lose, I hope that money goes to the Village and not all to the company managing the applications.

Two, the increase in cost to $50: That is what I reference to my movie ticket scenario.

Please don't feel I'm condoning the changes. I'm just expressing that I won't boycott the event myself due to the reasons I give.

Scott

• Like 1

I have heard from two of my friends who are regular attendees and neither is going anymore.  Frankly if my friends give it a miss I will as well.  They are mostly angry with the shabby treatment of the LDR ( Lansing to Dearborn )  What has happened in Dearborn, seems like a bad dream.  Time to wake up.  On a positive note Bev and I are attending the HCCA Convention in Oklahoma then choices like the New England Brass and Gas, there are at least three other week long tours for pre16 cars this summer.  The OCF is not the only game in town.  The spring AACA meet in Auburn should be interesting if a large group of classics show up for judging and the Gilmore in May, as posted above, sounds appealing.  Gary  

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 9:15 AM, 1925 Gray said:

I think it signals many more major changes in the future.  The OCF was never meant to be a concours but it looks like it is headed that way.  It was, in fact, started by Barney Pollard and was run by volunteers from the local VMCCA and AACA chapter members.  The Village simply provided the venue.  The Festival was meant to be just that: a Festival of cars for the core of owners to enjoy.  It was meant for the owners of Dodge Brothers, Chevys, Plymouths, etc. to meet and have fun: a Festival.  I just hope it doesn't turn into an elitist event.

My radar senses also agree with your statement.  I would not be surprised that the Motor Muster becomes a muscle car show with lots of Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros, and Chrysler muscle.

The Eyes on Design show is on the same weekend as the Motor Muster show.  Maybe it is time to go there.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

This is still disappointing :-(

After spending most of my 61 years dreaming of owning a vintage car I realised that dream last year and purchased a very nice 1926 Franklin.

I've been to the Old Car Festival several times as a spectator - I live in west Michigan a little over 2 hours from Greenfield Village so it's not a huge trip for me to make. One of the things I looked forward to about being a vintage car owner was the chance to take it to the Old Car Festival. Now from reading the letter it seems my chance of that is close to zero since I'm not a previous participant. (I have been a member of The Henry Ford/Greenfield Village for probably 20 years).

I live about 20 miles from the Gilmore Car Museum, and am a member there too, but alas on the weekend of the Pre War Car Festival I'll be in New Mexico for a non-car thing that I've been going to for 20 years, so will miss that, but I do have the Air Cooled Festival on my calendar for June at the Gilmore.

If there is any representation being made to The Henry Ford put me down for being disappointed that it seems like there's no way for a new olde car owner to "break in" to the scene, which as noted a number of times above it would only help them to have some new different cars turning up there each year.

Bugger

Roger

I have been asked go post the site for the MTCFA forum discussing the MM and OCF changes.

There are three threads starting with this one and then going in order.  I warn you that they are long but, depending on your interest, well worth the read.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/711471.html?1484770978

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/715450.html?1485195296

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/717141.html?1485321205